Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No wonder Lumber Costs 3x More????

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty simple. Food, clothing, tools, gas, autos, etc are pretty much the same across the United States; all of life's essentials. Sure, there is some variation, but not very much. Real estate is where the major discrepancies come in. For example, where I live, a simple small house will cost you $1,000,000. Whereas you could buy the equivalent for $250,000 or even less in other places. So, obviously, rent will track the cost of the property.

In order to be able to afford housing, whether renting or buying, the wages by necessity need to be substantially higher here than in other places. Start paying attention to the wages Vs cost of real estate and you'll see what I mean.

Last place I worked we hired a guy from Florida. He was saying where he came from $20 / hr was about the top pay. He was getting nearly three times that out here. I told him I'll bet the real estate is a lot cheaper where you came from. He replied, Oh yeah, a LOT cheaper!
    I would agree with this. We have a problem keeping youngins in town. Kids graduate HS, maybe stick around a bit and end up moving 40 miles north as there is more to do and wages are better. The catch to that is you need to make at least $3/hr more there just to break even.

Post Likes
    Speaking of Florida - I have found some oddities of prices here. For example; concrete block is 20-25% more if I buy it in Georgia or Alabama than it is buying it in Florida. The monthly lease payment on a new Lincoln is higher in Michigan than the exact same vehicle is if leased at a Florida dealership. I can't see any reason why that would be.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty simple. Food, clothing, tools, gas, autos, etc are pretty much the same across the United States; all of life's essentials. Sure, there is some variation, but not very much. Real estate is where the major discrepancies come in. For example, where I live, a simple small house will cost you $1,000,000. Whereas you could buy the equivalent for $250,000 or even less in other places. So, obviously, rent will track the cost of the property.

In order to be able to afford housing, whether renting or buying, the wages by necessity need to be substantially higher here than in other places. Start paying attention to the wages Vs cost of real estate and you'll see what I mean.

Last place I worked we hired a guy from Florida. He was saying where he came from $20 / hr was about the top pay. He was getting nearly three times that out here. I told him I'll bet the real estate is a lot cheaper where you came from. He replied, Oh yeah, a LOT cheaper!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Speaking of Florida - I have found some oddities of prices here. For example; concrete block is 20-25% more if I buy it in Georgia or Alabama than it is buying it in Florida. The monthly lease payment on a new Lincoln is higher in Michigan than the exact same vehicle is if leased at a Florida dealership. I can't see any reason why that would be.

PHM
    -------
    My guess would be higher taxes those other places than Florida. Florida gets a lot of tourists so they can pay the bulk of the taxes to keep the state running where as here we have very little tourism so they put a high tax on property and vehicles, etc. My guess is more people go to Florida in the winter to get away from the cold than go to Michigan to escape the heat of summer. I won't even go into all the attractions in FL that people go to see.

Post Likes
    A deck builders group I am a part of has been talking about this. They have been posting pictures of several different lumber mills with overflowing yards. There is no lumber shortage, just control of supply while they enjoy the profits.

5. Likes James Colver liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's my overall impression too. Big corporations have been controlling our media, goods, and now even services too. The slowed production and then have a few "experts" go on the news and tell everyone it's because they can't find anyone to work there. They take in record profits for the share holders and don't have to endure any critizism because they have a majority of Americans thinking the problem is something else entirely.

Post Likes
    I have heard it is partially. Trucker shortage. Don’t know if that’s the case or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123