Thread: Union gig

Post Likes

Union gig

Ive had the email for the local HVAC union guy saved for awhile now and now that ive finally did all i needed to to atleast be a tiny step ahead of totally green I was wondering how the union deal will work? With everything getting back to normal with covid im sure I'll find placement but will I just talk with him about joining the local chapter and then go job hunting or will the union give me interviews for companies looking for apprentices?

Post Likes
    Depends. Easiest way is to find a union shop that's hiring. After X amount of days you get in. Applying to the union directly is for there apprenticeship program. The past schooling may or may not be considered. Either way its worth it.

Post Likes
    What s-u-x is when you call to inquire, and the person answering the phone says “we only hire thru the Hall”. This makes it seem as if the Hall says when the Employer can hire. This scenario happens a lot.
    NOT sure where you’re at, but I just posted a Req for the Atlanta area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Send your resume to the hall, and to union contractors both. The hall picked up mine and contacted me, making a recommendation of where to apply. I took that into consideration, but ended up where I felt the most comfortable. It just also happened to be where the union rep recommended. I came in at full journeyman, and ended up at supervisor in a few months.
    I set up interviews with contractors so that I could see the options. I have done this on a few occasions. I will take 2 or 3 days and have 3 or 4 interviews each day. It minimizes the buyers remorse 'I wonder of that other place would be good'....
    As mentioned, when you are hired by a union shop, you will be inducted into the union within x days automatically. I got sworn into the Union the day I accepted the offer, which was almost a week before I started working.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    I dont know about other locals but here they won't accept new HVAC apprentices into the program unless they are already sponsored by a contractor. For fitters and plumbers they will bring in a bunch of apprentices with no jobs for them.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Depends. Easiest way is to find a union shop that's hiring. After X amount of days you get in. Applying to the union directly is for there apprenticeship program. The past schooling may or may not be considered. Either way its worth it.

Post Likes

Union gig

Here is the Atlanta Req.
    LC HVAC Techs Needed / Action E&M / Atlanta
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk