Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rheem vs York A/C Recommendation

Post Likes

Rheem vs York A/C Recommendation

My 16 year old Rheem 3T 14 SEER is leaking old refrigerant as of last summer. A HVAC tech refilled it and it has worked fine since minus a landscaper destroy wiring snafu a month ago. However, it's leaking and I don't want to deal with any downtime. I've had a few techs over including Lennox in-house evaluation and settled on a local HVAC company recommended by a few people. I live in North Jersey and my house is 3,100SQ w/ an additional 1200-1400 in a finished basement. During summer, I typically close the vents but it's never too hot or too cold. I have a separate A/C (4 year Lennox/20SEER) and furnace for the upstairs. The HVAC owner recommended a Rudd and a York for comparison with a $100 increase/1 SEER for the York. Both have a 10 year parts only warranty. Any recommendation between the two?

Rudd 16 SEER 3T $X
    Rheem RA1636AJ1NA Classic® Series 3 ton 16 SEER Single-Stage Air Conditioner-208/230/1/60
    Condenser RUURA1636NJ1NA
    Evaporator Coil RUURCF3617STAMCA

York 17 SEER 3T $X
    Condenser YORYCG36B215
    Evaporator Coil YORCM36BBCA1
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-13-2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: REMOVED PRICING

Post Likes
    Ask them for the AHRI number to prove your getting 16 SEER and 17 SEER, as could not find anything with those model numbers. Where’s the new furnace number? If your keeping a existing furnace and just changing the A/C part, then doubt you will see those SEER rating. Thinking your under the impression and paying for a 16 and 17 SEER system, if so tell them to prove it.

Your giving some strange number RUU for the RUUD condensor but you already gave it. The RA1636 is the condenser number. What’s the other number?

Post Likes
    Two systems is good, but a 3 ton system plus another one for the second floor!?
    If the other system is also 3 tons that makes 6 tons of cooling for a 3500 sq. ft. house. That breaks down to a little over 500 sq. ft. per ton which is DEAD WRONG. Oversizing equipment is wasteful, uncomfortable, and poor at dehumidifying.

Has a load calculation been performed for your house to determine how much cooling is needed?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    I think it's the Ruud RA16 vs the York YCG series. Does the SPECIFIC model make a diff?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Two systems is good, but a 3 ton system plus another one for the second floor!?
    If the other system is also 3 tons that makes 6 tons of cooling for a 3500 sq. ft. house. That breaks down to a little over 500 sq. ft. per ton which is DEAD WRONG. Oversizing equipment is wasteful, uncomfortable, and poor at dehumidifying.

Has a load calculation been performed for your house to determine how much cooling is needed?
    Lennox did a load calculation and measured the duct work and came up with 3T which matches the existing system. If you consider the finished basement, it is 4300 - 4500 sq. ft. but not sure how to consider the finished basement where I am typically only using vents in summer.

Post Likes
    The part # seem to have some weird stuff in them for sure. Probably dealer's code. RA1636 & RCF3617 are a common match. But for the OP, you won't get 16 or 17 SEER unless you have a matched Rheem/Ruud or York furnace in side. If going on a standard blower motor furnace, probably 14 to 14.5 SEER in actual performance.

Big selling point of the Ruud is the conventional coil in the outside unit. York has a microchannel coil and they are more prone to leaks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
    Lennox did a load calculation and measured the duct work and came up with 3T which matches the existing system. If you consider the finished basement, it is 4300 - 4500 sq. ft. but not sure how to consider the finished basement where I am typically only using vents in summer.
    Please clarify the square footage. Basement, first floor, and second floor. Basements rarely need any cooling.
    It appears you have 3500 sq. ft. total for the 1st and 2nd floor.
    What is the size of the unit for the 2nd floor?

During the hottest weather, does the air conditioner run constantly or does it cycle on and off?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The part # seem to have some weird stuff in them for sure. Probably dealer's code. RA1636 & RCF3617 are a common match. But for the OP, you won't get 16 or 17 SEER unless you have a matched Rheem/Ruud or York furnace in side. If going on a standard blower motor furnace, probably 14 to 14.5 SEER in actual performance.

Big selling point of the Ruud is the conventional coil in the outside unit. York has a microchannel coil and they are more prone to leaks.
    He said he was going to talk to the dealer/supply house for model #s so that makes sense.

I have a 26-28 year old Rheem 100K BTU furnace that is still chugging away.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Please clarify the square footage. Basement, first floor, and second floor. Basements rarely need any cooling.
    It appears you have 3500 sq. ft. total for the 1st and 2nd floor.
    What is the size of the unit for the 2nd floor?

During the hottest weather, does the air conditioner run constantly or does it cycle on and off?
    Basement = 1200-1400 sq. ft. And, I don't even open the vents during summer. No issues.
    1st = 1600 w/ a 20-22' open foyer
    2nd = 1600

2nd floor A/C is a Lennox 21SEER 3T 2 stage about 4-5 years old. During hot weather, 1st floor A/C seems to cycle on/off -- never an issue with temp and I am sensitive. 2nd floor is fine.

My previous house had a York 5T which could NOT keep the 3000 sq. house cool. I had to turn the 2nd zone (upstairs) off and play games to cool both.

Post Likes
    Ill agree 2 stories 2 systems but there's no way in hell you need 6-Tons!

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Ill agree 2 stories 2 systems but there's no way in hell you need 6-Tons!
    Let's ignore tonnage and just consider 2 systems. I am leaning towards Rheem/Rudd just based on reading. The extra SEER isn't that big of a deal I am guessing.

Post Likes
    The York with a generic furnace ( which you have ) shows 14.50 SEER and 12.5 EER AHRI number 203345430 only thing different is it says BBA1 , and you mention BBCA if homework was done correctly. A far cry from what they told you your getting.

The Rheem has several matches with generic furnaces, shows 14 SEER , one shows 14.5 SEER some AHRI numbers are 201456641, 201456642 201456643 201456698 201456753 there are several others the + RXMD after the coil number means a time delay relay needs to be installed on the blower motor to get those ratings unless your furnace already has one. Again a far cry from what they told you. Err if homework was done correctly. Again system should work thou.

As stated before you can’t go by outdoor rating alone to get SEER, it’s a team effort of matching indoor unit to outdoor system. I’m sure your system will work fine, just not getting the listed SEER and EER, and any rebates or Federal Tax Credits. Those numbers are not real world but give you an idea of ratings on paper.

Check yourself to view certificate

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    The York with a generic furnace ( which you have ) shows 14.50 SEER and 12.5 EER AHRI number 203345430 only thing different is it says BBA1 , and you mention BBCA if homework was done correctly. A far cry from what they told you your getting.

The Rheem has several matches with generic furnaces, shows 14 SEER , one shows 14.5 SEER some AHRI numbers are 201456641, 201456642 201456643 201456698 201456753 there are several others the + RXMD after the coil number means a time delay relay needs to be installed on the blower motor to get those ratings unless your furnace already has one. Again a far cry from what they told you. Err if homework was done correctly. Again system should work thou.

As stated before you can’t go by outdoor rating alone to get SEER, it’s a team effort of matching indoor unit to outdoor system. I’m sure your system will work fine, just not getting the listed SEER and EER, and any rebates or Federal Tax Credits. Those numbers are not real world but give you an idea of ratings on paper.

Check yourself to view certificate

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj
    Ignoring the SEER then, what's the better choice?

Post Likes
    Ignoring the SEER then, what's the better choice?
    The York has the Micro Channel Coil from what the brochure says whereas the Rheem has the fin and tube. Not sure if the York has safety pressure safety controls, but you can order a high/low pressure ( SKU ) with them installed from the factory on the Rheem.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Oz5iuTYEa1kvoE

Page 3

Ask the bidding Contractors to see what are the standard features of both units, it’s the least they can do for you to get your business. Worst case if your into aesthetics get the brand that matches your exterior wall the best..I’m old school and like the fin and tube design, not to mention the light grey matches my exterior wall better than brown the light grey Rheem or York brown....hey that part is a joke.

All manufacturers make very little of their own parts. Thinking at best both manufacturers make the painted sheetmetal box and base and the coil. That’s about it, chances both use a Copeland scroll compressor, generic compressor contactor, relays, capacitor, fan motor, fan blade, service valves, refrigerant etc.etc. are made by others. Many of those parts come from China, Mexico, SW Asia and possibly the USA
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-13-2021 at 11:10 PM.

Post Likes
    It's 87F in North Jersey and I am actually paying attention to the ac and it rarely shuts off. I know folks have said 3T for each floor is too much but isn't it sized too small if it doesn't shut off?

The duct work is 30"X8" OUT and 24"X8" IN. I realize I won't see gains with the 3TON fan and existing duct work but I will have to upgrade furnace at some point. I've read you might be able to wire the fan to run faster to push more CFM but the ductwork still might not support it.

Post Likes
    Let's ignore tonnage and just consider 2 systems. I am leaning towards Rheem/Rudd just based on reading. The extra SEER isn't that big of a deal I am guessing.
    Extra SEER won't be noticeable, but York offers a 10-year parts and labor warranty which Rheem does not. That LABOR part is what can save you $$$ if the indoor or outdoor coil starts leaking refrigerant.
    Everything I’m going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Extra SEER won't be noticeable, but York offers a 10-year parts and labor warranty which Rheem does not. That LABOR part is what can save you $$$ if the indoor or outdoor coil starts leaking refrigerant.
    I don’t get it, Rheem offers extended labor warranties like everyone else no?

I know York was including extended labor on certain models, I think last year for a little while as a promo. Reading the current site looks like they are optional.

Extended Warranties
    Most system failures occur when you least expect them. Our YORKCare™ Protection Plan provides up to 10 years of total system protection with no deductibles or repair limitations. Preserve your home comfort, and peace of mind, for years to come with this exclusive warranty “option”

Here’s Rheem name for their extended labor warranty.

You’ve invested in your comfort. Now invest in your peace of mind.

Rheem® is proud of the quality that goes into each one of our products, but as great as they are, issues do sometimes come up. With our Protection Plus® Extended Service agreement program, you can protect yourself from unexpected, unbudgeted repairs after the limited warranty expires—up to four years for water heaters and up to 10 years for heating & cooling equipment.

The difference is York and Daikin are the only Manufacturer ( that I’m aware of ) that backs their extended labor warranties whereas the other major manufacturers use a 3rd party.

Post Likes
    It's 87F in North Jersey and I am actually paying attention to the ac and it rarely shuts off. I know folks have said 3T for each floor is too much but isn't it sized too small if it doesn't shut off?

The duct work is 30"X8" OUT and 24"X8" IN. I realize I won't see gains with the 3TON fan and existing duct work but I will have to upgrade furnace at some point. I've read you might be able to wire the fan to run faster to push more CFM but the ductwork still might not support it.
    Yes it is if
    The ducts can’t handle the air flow
    The equipment was not sized properly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Yes it is if
    The ducts can’t handle the air flow
    The equipment was not sized properly.
    Please explain.

Post Likes
    Are the fans typically wired for high for A/C? I am concerned I am undersized for 1st floor.

Post Likes
    “I have a 26-28 year old Rheem 100K BTU furnace that is still chugging away.”

Depends on the manufacturers, they set them ( new furnaces ) at default settings, subject to change in the field.

“Are the fans typically wired for high for A/C? I am concerned I am undersized for 1st floor”

After 26-28 years, with your existing furnace, all of a sudden your concerned?

Didn’t they recheck and set up your blower speed ( if needed ) when they installed the new system?

22. Likes nantucket liked this post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast