Thread: INSTALLED CORRECTLY?

Post Likes

Exclamation INSTALLED CORRECTLY?

A recent Home Inspection revealed a problem with the installation of my HVAC in the attic. The installer insists it is correct; however, two other dealer/installers disagree. Dear Professionals, Do I have a problem here, and can you describe what (or if) is the issue?

wrt pics: the air enters from the right side of picture, travels through the coils, then the furnace, and out the ducting to the left of picture.

Thank you!
    (I've seen several threads that seem to address the issue and I'd appreciate any links to avoid repeats if that's easier...thank you!)\
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Evaporator should be on the outlet of the furnace. Your quickly killing (or have already killed) your heat exchanger. Hence the rust you see in the burner area.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

3. Likes R600a, Bearcat73 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Burning refrigerant in an open flame can create Phosgene gas, so if your evaporator was to start leaking refrigerant, it would go right into your heat exchanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Burning refrigerant in an open flame can create Phosgene gas, so if your evaporator was to start leaking refrigerant, it would go right into your heat exchanger.

No it wouldn't. It would be in the normal air stream, and would never get hot enough to create phosgene gas.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Have the installer that says the install is correct, show you the install manual that says that.

It will greatly shorten the life of the furnace heat exchanger. By causing condensate to form inside the heat exchanger, and rot it from the inside out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

7. Likes Bearcat73, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat73 View Post
    A recent Home Inspection revealed a problem with the installation of my HVAC in the attic. The installer insists it is correct; however, two other dealer/installers disagree. Dear Professionals, Do I have a problem here, and can you describe what (or if) is the issue?

wrt pics: the air enters from the right side of picture, travels through the coils, then the furnace, and out the ducting to the left of picture.

Thank you!
    (I've seen several threads that seem to address the issue and I'd appreciate any links to avoid repeats if that's easier...thank you!)\
    Now that luck.........You managed to find a Home inspector that actually knows what he looking at!

9. Likes Bearcat73 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Evaporator should be on the outlet of the furnace. Your quickly killing (or have already killed) your heat exchanger. Hence the rust you see in the burner area.
    That's what the other installers stated.

So this is not due to "rain water" coming down the flue (that's what the installer told me...that it had nothing to do with the HX downstream the evaporator....)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No it wouldn't. It would be in the normal air stream, and would never get hot enough to create phosgene gas.
    Yeah I forgot, it’s was late, all your gas packs are like this anyway.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Well, truth be told, the Home Inspector actually saw the rust, which prompted the calls to HVAC professionals that immediately saw the problem. I just wanted to make sure that other installers agreed that the "horse should proceed the cart," that a "truck should pull a boat, not push," that installation manuals should still be referenced.

I greatly appreciate the expertise on this forum. Thank you.

13. Likes Mr Bill, beenthere liked this post.