Thread: Return filterless grille sizing

Post Likes

Return filterless grille sizing

What size grille would I need for a return at the handler's stand/box if it is filterless? I've found formulas for filter based on tons, and more accurate ones based on handler stated air flow, but none for filterless grilles.
    Three ton Trane XV18.

Post Likes
    All systems need a filter. Do you mean your air handler will have an open return (i.e. no return duct)? If so, I believe Trane makes a filter rack accessory or a metal fabricator can make one. The installation guide will specify the filter size.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    The air handler has a slide in 4 inch filter. Now that the filter is not in the return grille I can make the grille smaller.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rick66 View Post
    The air handler has a slide in 4 inch filter. Now that the filter is not in the return grille I can make the grille smaller.
    No, you can't make the grille smaller because you'll reduce the amount of airflow through that opening. It likely needs to stay as is.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell