Thread: Converting from Central Heat to Central heat and A/C - Long Island

Post Likes

Converting from Central Heat to Central heat and A/C - Long Island

Hi,

I just bought have a split level house(roughly 2000 sq. ft three levels not including attic or garage, hallways) and looking to add central A/C. The house currently has forced heat and A/C's in the wall's. I have a 4 quotes, 2 of which are reasonable, 1 is semi reasonable and one which is almost double. The first three states I can add a coil on top of my 11 year old gas furnace and then add a condenser. The fourth one said I need to do 2 small systems and a coil on top wont fit. He wants to put one in the basement and one in the attic, creating 2 zones. He also stated some ducting would need to be changed and add bigger registers in certain areas. He stated with my current setup the A/C would be on all the time. It's difficult to swallow the cost of the 2 small systems but he stated this was the most efficient and only way he'll do it for peace of mind.

Is it possible to put a bigger single unit to compensate for the 2 small units and add dampers?

Thanks for your help!

Post Likes
    I like the 4th one. 2 stories 2 systems.

That duct work was designed for heating CFM's and probably has little if any insulation. A/C requires higher CFM's that require larger ducts with insulation and vapor barriers to prevent condensation from forming.

Post Likes
    I understand but itís literally double the price. What kind of insulation does the ducts need?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by datsun72 View Post
    I understand but it’s literally double the price. What kind of insulation does the ducts need?
    Properly installed Insulation with a vapor barrier

Post Likes
    I’d take the bid with two systems. If it’s not in the budget wait till you can afford to do it right. You’ll be happier in the long run.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I canít wait, we have no acís in the house. What about a bigger single unit, or put the AC in the attic or move the whole system to the attic? I have seen houses larger than mine with a single unit.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I canít wait, we have no acís in the house. What about a bigger single unit, or put the AC in the attic or move the whole system to the attic? I have seen houses larger than mine with a single unit.
    Walmart usually has cheap window units if those are allowed in your area.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    2 stories
    2 systems

Short on funds....... 1 system for the 2 Nd floor. Do the 1 st next year.

Post Likes
    2 systems without a doubt

THe 2nd story has people complaining all of the time with 1 unit " its too hot up here "

So you decide ....