Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HVAC Install Problems

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I didn't even notice that they had done that with the mini-split. BTW, the same HVAC company installed the mini-split in 2007, but it was an older tech, who is no longer with the company.
    Many times it’s a revolving door policy, that Tech. could have retired or moved on. As an example in one or two years the crew that installed your system and started your system some of those persons could easily be with another small/large Company, work in house at a Hospital, University, etc. went solo or moved etc. etc. Who knows?

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    They could have easily used this, cut to fit instead of the 6’ whip for a neater look..

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...51O2Q9FMDnjfYg
    I agree.

Post Likes
    I just had two new Daikin FIT split systems installed and for the most part, I'm very happy. However, on the last day of a 3-day replacement, the techs seemed to be rushing things a little. I'm sure part of the reason was to meet their project schedule, but the other part was to ensure that my family had AC over the weekend.

I need to preface this post by saying that I'm borderline OCD, so keep that in mind when viewing my concerns. Before I talk to my HVAC installer I want to make sure I'm not being too picky. That said, here are my concerns.

2nd FLOOR FURNACE
    Overall the install looks really clean to me. The ONLY concern I have is with the custom-made return box. As you can see from the attached photos, the box didn't fit properly so the HVAC tech literally beat it into shape with a rubber hammer. While there doesn't appear to be any leaks, it just looks sloppy to me.

CONDENSERS
    Again, I felt the install looked pretty clean aside from a few minor things.

1. The 220V AC powerlines are loose and not secured to the supply lines, like is the case with our mini-split. In my opinion, this creates a tripping hazard.
    2. On one of the condensers the insulation goes all the way up to the unit. On the second one, it's short. Conversely, on the first condenser, the metal housing is burned.
    3. And finally, the quick disconnects are not aligned and the one on the right is slightly skewed.

Normally, I wouldn't care much about some of these things, but when you pay as much for two HVAC split systems as a good used car I tend to get a little more critical. Please let me know your thoughts. The quick disconnects and the burned metal housing are probably a little too picky, but to be fair I wanted to get a consensus before I said anything to my HVAC company.

Thanks!
    Let me explain something to you before you get yourself in a wreck.

You are on a forum of guys that for the most part run their own program. Whether it be the are owner operator or they have so much experience their boss gives them full leeway to run their program.

I have been looking for a lead installer for two years.

Was at a customer's house yesterday. She says she's made it guy that made a repair on a $ part and charged her $. And she's mad at another company cause three employees had to come out and figure out what to do to replace her ductwork and it took 3 weeks of her time.

Whoever did your install I would hire in a heart beat. Yes there us some things that could have been done cleaner. But there is also some things that where done very well.

You coming on here and posting this, getting feedback from us is much different than the employees the owner of that business is working with.

Be careful with how much of a pain in the a** you want to be with the installing company. That system is very technical and you are limited in who can fix it. And if you want your warranty to be honored than it needs to be done by the installing company. Your married to them unless the relationship dissolves.

It's not hard for a company to list you as a pain and than when you call for services 2 years later they "cant" get to you for 2 months.

Also not unheard of for installing company to pause you for xxx amount of time. You call someone else to fix it and than installing company says their warranty is void since someone outside of them worked on it.

Just some food for thought....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-14-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Post Likes
    @jacob-k, I appreciate your candor, but if you look at the very first sentence my original post, it states, "I just had two new Daikin FIT split systems installed and for the most part, I'm very happy." My goal with this thread wasn't to pick apart an HVAC install. Clearly, as a homeowner, I'm not qualified to do that. My goal was to consult the experts on this forum to determine if some of the things I noticed were in fact legitimate concerns or if I was being too picky, which I also stated in the second paragraph in my original post.

Based on the responses I've received so far, it seems like most of the things I pointed out should be addressed. As a small business owner myself, the last thing I want to do is create unnecessary stress on my HVAC company, with whom I have a long-standing relationship or their techs. But clearly, some of this stuff could have been done a little better. In fact, I was even planning on hiring the same company to install an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier and was going to suggest that they make the punch list corrections at the same time to save them from making an extra trip.

If you think I'm being unreasonable, please tell me why.

Post Likes
    @jacob-k, I appreciate your candor, but if you look at the very first sentence my original post, it states, "I just had two new Daikin FIT split systems installed and for the most part, I'm very happy." My goal with this thread wasn't to pick apart an HVAC install. Clearly, as a homeowner, I'm not qualified to do that. My goal was to consult the experts on this forum to determine if some of the things I noticed were in fact legitimate concerns or if I was being too picky, which I also stated in the second paragraph in my original post.

Based on the responses I've received so far, it seems like most of the things I pointed out should be addressed. As a small business owner myself, the last thing I want to do is create unnecessary stress on my HVAC company, with whom I have a long-standing relationship or their techs. But clearly, some of this stuff could have been done a little better. In fact, I was even planning on hiring the same company to install an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier and was going to suggest that they make the punch list corrections at the same time to save them from making an extra trip.

If you think I'm being unreasonable, please tell me why.
    I never said you were being unreasonable....

Im simply saying you are married to this company. The equipment you have few people can fix. The warranties you have will be honored by the installing company.....

How you handle it is up to you.....

Food for thought is all it is....

Post Likes
    So if you were in the exact same situation and it was your system, what would you do? Would you have them correct some or all of the things I pointed out or give them a pass?

Post Likes
    My opinion on all this is, the job should have been done correctly to begin with, but it wasn’t. We have turnkey installers, been using the same ones for 16 years I will admit, good Installer’s are very hard to find, but that’s not your problem.

You paid for an installation of a AC system, our installers don’t do work like that, they do quality work. Maybe a lot of installers do this kind of work, I don’t know maybe it’s common, I’ve witnessed many homes we go into that your install is pristine compared to these homes, so it appears they’re different levels of installations.

My question is, why aren’t they all done correctly, maybe not perfectly but at least correctly? well it could be the installers, or maybe the company doesn’t pay them well, and you get the install the company pays for. We pay our installers well, very well because we’re not greedy, and we understand everyone needs to make money, if we want to keep our good reputation and provide quality installs.

Our salesman/estimator follows up on every job, as soon as it’s finished, to insure it’s done to code, and done correctly. So, who’s to blame for bad installs? I would say it’s the company’s responsibility to follow up and make sure it’s done correctly, before even accepting payment.

We all do business a little differently, but there has to be a standard at some point, I’ve been in this business since 1984, and from some of the jobs from the previous installers, there’s no standard yet, and I doubt there ever will be. At our company we’re all in the business because we love what we do, some are in the business for only the money, and personally speaking, I don’t believe this will ever change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I'd have the return sealed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

10. Likes R600a, Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'd have the return sealed.
    That was the only critical thing I saw.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

12. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So if you were in the exact same situation and it was your system, what would you do? Would you have them correct some or all of the things I pointed out or give them a pass?
    Well lets just say OCD recognizes OCD. And when I'm stuck on something I don't need much prompting.

I don't know your character but I know mine. If I just spent xxxxxx on something and then had pros in that arena confirm my suspicions about the job I could easily get worked up.

I think it can be quite normal for this to happen to many folks.

And normally I wouldn't say anything cause if they dissolve the relationship any other company can come fix their equipment.

Your equipment isn't just run-of-the-mill stuff. Your relationship with the installing company is much more important.

diplomatic.....

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I think other than the duct leak the job is pretty good. I would send my tech back out with a longer whip, a metal repair to close the gap and i honestly believe you got a good job!
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I honestly believe you got a good job!
    I totally agree.

16. Likes jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just wanted to follow up with everyone regarding the HVAC repairs I requested. My HVAC contractor sent out a team a few days after I contacted them and repaired everything to my satisfaction, except the return air box. Instead of installing a new, properly-sized box, they simply taped the seams. To be honest, I'm not happy about their solution.

The way I look at it, my auto body shop could probably use a racing stripe to hide a dent or scratch that I paid good money to fix, but that doesn't make it right. What are your thoughts? Is this acceptable or am I being unreasonable?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Well it's sealed and they did a nice neat straight job of taping it so I would have no problem with it.

Post Likes
    “ I just wanted to follow up with everyone regarding the HVAC repairs”....

Repairs as in plural, where’s the rest of the repair(s) outside? If so you got several photos. Did they leave those funky 6’ whips in place

Don’t know how frequently the furnace access door comes off, or if it can be removed easily with the return duct not getting messed up, ( where it was pulled out ) but looks like a nice clean up on their end.

Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson about attention to details on installs,...probably not thou, as many times it’s a revolving door policy with Techs.

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Unreasonable?....If the body shop repaired things that sat in your crawl space for 20 years I can assure you the quality wouldnt be the same....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    Unreasonable?....If the body shop repaired things that sat in your crawl space for 20 years I can assure you the quality wouldnt be the same....

I don't understand what you're saying. Do you feel that my RA concerns are justifiable or not?

Post Likes
    I don't understand what you're saying. Do you feel that my RA concerns are justifiable or not?
    I wont be surprised if your back on here in the future trying to figure out how to deal with an installing company that wont return your call...And not being able to find anybody to fix your equipment.

But I've mentioned that several times in this thread. SO I'm out. Good Luck to you Sir

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    I wont be surprised if your back on here in the future trying to figure out how to deal with an installing company that wont return your call...And not being able to find anybody to fix your equipment.

But I've mentioned that several times in this thread. SO I'm out. Good Luck to you Sir
    So, because I've asked a professional HVAC company to repair something that clearly others have indicated was the primary problem, you think the HVAC company is going to avoid calling me when and if I need warranty repair work? Why would you think that? Is that how you run your business?

Post Likes
    So, because I've asked a professional HVAC company to repair something that clearly others have indicated was the primary problem, you think the HVAC company is going to avoid calling me when and if I need warranty repair work? Why would you think that? Is that how you run your business?
    I think he's referring to if you made them replace the entire return box. I would have to agree with him that that would be excessive. While there are nicer ways that the return could have been done initially if it wasn't in writing that they would be done that way they're not obligated to do it. The last pictures you posted look completely acceptable to me. It appears to be air sealed and functional which is my primary concern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12