Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Comments on this low voltage wiring?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,782
    Post Likes
    Does that auxiliary drain pan have a dedicated drain line or a sensor in case as an example only, the trap get plugged up with sediments and the condensate water is leaking from the coil sides into the pan. If not thinking no purpose of that pan.

    What is directly below that coil,

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    189
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Does that auxiliary drain pan have a dedicated drain line or a sensor in case as an example only, the trap get plugged up with sediments and the condensate water is leaking from the coil sides into the pan. If not thinking no purpose of that pan.

    What is directly below that coil,
    I'll be visiting her in a week or two and will scope out if there's a dedicated drain for the secondary pan, or some kind of a sensor. And I think (?) that the thing right under the coil is what the system is resting on? I think there are a couple more under the FAU itself.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La Honda, CA
    Posts
    112
    Post Likes
    I’m sorry, but that is just really horrible work. Every company in the Bay Area is booked out for several months right now and we can’t keep up with demand, but that’s no excuse for a company to accept that level of craftsmanship as ok. I could write an essay on things that aren’t right with that install, but my biggest concern which hasn’t been mentioned yet is that it appears as though there is no opening for combustion air to the furnace, has it ran in heating mode yet? Maybe they have one of the knockouts removed on the bottom of the furnace but from your pics I can’t see anything.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,782
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark johnson View Post
    I'll be visiting her in a week or two and will scope out if there's a dedicated drain for the secondary pan, or some kind of a sensor. And I think (?) that the thing right under the coil is what the system is resting on? I think there are a couple more under the FAU itself.
    Sorry, I was referring to what is located directly under the coil, meaning a living room, a bedroom ? with a nice finished ceiling if that auxiliary drain pan does not have a dedicated leak proof line or sensors then there is no purpose that pan is serving if the drain develops a hairline crack ( providing the trap is located within the pan ) or fills with sediment and plugs up, the condensate is going somewhere.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Posts
    20,971
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatsolutions View Post
    my biggest concern which hasn’t been mentioned yet is that it appears as though there is no opening for combustion air to the furnace.
    Looks like they have the combustion air pipe sticking out of the bottom of the furnace next to the gas line, but my eyes are pretty old.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

    "When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

    "Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill




  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes
    Good Lord that wiring aggravates my OCD
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  7. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,811
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Looks like they have the combustion air pipe sticking out of the bottom of the furnace next to the gas line, but my eyes are pretty old.
    Combustion air is overrated 😂

  9. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
  10. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sea to Sky
    Posts
    4,959
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Combustion air is overrated
    Just like breathing?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  11. Likes JayMan7, Mr Bill liked this post.
  12. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    189
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I visited my sister and took some more photos. Here is the drain pipe system. There's a trap, and a second set of piping going from the secondary pan to somewhere else (I didn't try to follow the drain pipes to see where they go):

    Name:  20210526_173244.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  1.39 MBName:  20210526_173244.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  1.39 MB

    I didn't see any kind of a puck to sense water in the secondary pan.

    What I also didn't see, and which concerns me more, is any knockout in the furnace for combustion air. Where should it be on this Carrier unit? Also, my limited understanding is that since the unit is in a confined space, shared with a gas water heater, that there should be some kind of a combustion air supply pipe in the area - is that right? I didn't see anything of the sort there.

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,782
    Post Likes
    If the trap plugs up with sediment and comes out the secondary overfill ( thinking that is a 90 degree PVC there, can’t see completely from those photos ) even if the condensate water takes a 90 straight into the pan ( secondary drain ) it looks like it may miss part of the pan? What’s directly below that aux. pipe ( below the attic floor )

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lidhUMN1NRZ_mk

    Where’s the switching mechanism for the primary drain line? Is this the brand trap you have?

    “ I didn't see any kind of a puck to sense water in the secondary pan”

    Thinking they didn’t install one as there is a drain line on the auxiliary pan.

    You still there? If so take a better picture of the secondary drain and see if water ( 100% of it ) would actually drain into the auxiliary drain pan, looks iffy from here.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-28-2021 at 06:41 PM.

  14. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    189
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    If the trap plugs up with sediment and comes out the secondary overfill ( thinking that is a 90 degree PVC there, can’t see completely from those photos ) even if the condensate water takes a 90 straight into the pan ( secondary drain ) it looks like it may miss part of the pan? What’s directly below that aux. pipe ( below the attic floor )

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lidhUMN1NRZ_mk

    Where’s the switching mechanism for the primary drain line? Is this the brand trap you have?

    “ I didn't see any kind of a puck to sense water in the secondary pan”

    Thinking they didn’t install one as there is a drain line on the auxiliary pan.

    You still there? If so take a better picture of the secondary drain and see if water ( 100% of it ) would actually drain into the auxiliary drain pan, looks iffy from here.
    Thanks for the comments. Here is another view of the underside, showing the primary furnace drain. You can also see the secondary pan outlet:

    Name:  20210526_173135.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  2.99 MB

    Another view of the drain trap:


    Name:  20210526_172946.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  3.55 MB

    I saw your link to the Safe-T-Switch. And as I zoomed in on one of the photos, it looks like they installed one in her system - but there are no wires connected?

    Name:  safe-t-switch.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  102.2 KB

    The room below the furnace is her master bath.

    Any thoughts about combustion air?

    I'll be up there again next week and can take some more pictures.

  15. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,782
    Post Likes
    I was looking at it incorrectly, the secondary drain on the coil assembly has the safety switch, but there is no plunger assembly with control wires to shut off A/C. Hopefully that auxiliary drain pan slid over toward the supply duct side is enough as if the primary drain ( trap plugs up due to sediment ) the condensate will come out the sides of the coil assembly. Looks like where it’s at not the pan may not catch all of the condensate overflow?

    I would call them back to install and check that the safety switch to make sure it works.

    Don’t think the condensate water will reach high enough to come out the safety switch vertical opening as thinking the evaporator drain pan height is lower than that termination height, so the water will come out of the sides instead. The way it is, from here it looks like it will miss part of the pan. Hopefully they slid the pan far enough to catch any water.

    Not sure what to tell you about your furnace.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-28-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •