Thread: Noise when heater first starts for season

Post Likes

Noise when heater first starts for season

Our house has a Bryant furnace and central air. Long story short, when switching from AC to heat in the fall, the first time the heater comes on, we get a terrible noise from the blower bearings.
    I had a guy in once and he opened up the furnace to where you could see the blower. IIRC the fan has a horizontal shaft with sealed bearings on each end. Apparently, one of the bearings has lost its lube. (The bottom of the fan housing has oil stains.)
    It seems that throughout the summer, this blower doesn't run, and any remaining lube in the bad bearing flows to the bottom of the bearing housing. When we first turn on the heat in the fall the bearing squeals and squalls until the remaining lube works into place. Then it runs quietly for the season. It's done this for several years now.
    The furnace guy said just leave it. (He seemed distracted, like he didn't want to mess with it, like he had bigger fish to fry. But I'm just guessing.)
    If my assessment is true, what should I do?
    Can that bearing be replaced before it totally fails?
    I'm thinking it would be better to have it replaced when its convenient instead of waiting for it to fail at a bad time.

Thanks in advance. I would really appreciate any advice. I know little about furnaces.

Post Likes
    If the bearings are squealing, the bearings need to be replaced.

But if this is a belt-driven blower, it must be a natural draft furnace if it's not oil? I would opt to replace the furnace and not put any more money into it, unless you love paying the utility companies.
    Everything I’m going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    If the bearings are squealing, the bearings need to be replaced.

But if this is a belt-driven blower, it must be a natural draft furnace if it's not oil? I would opt to replace the furnace and not put any more money into it, unless you love paying the utility companies.
    "I would opt to replace the furnace and not put any more money into it, unless you love paying the utility companies." Not sure what you are getting at here.
    I think the furnace is fairly new. It is efficient. Our bills are very low. It only squalls upon starting up for the heating season. IDK what a natural draft furnace is. It burns natural gas.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSadie View Post
    "I would opt to replace the furnace and not put any more money into it, unless you love paying the utility companies." Not sure what you are getting at here.
    I think the furnace is fairly new. It is efficient. Our bills are very low. It only squalls upon starting up for the heating season. IDK what a natural draft furnace is. It burns natural gas.
    Ordinarily oiled drive shaft bearings are found on belt-driven equipment and were serviceable, but haven't been in residential equipment for decades. If you don't have a furnace this old, then you likely have a direct-drive motor and if there is any kind of bearing issue the motor needs to be replaced because the bearings are sealed and non-serviceable.

Do you have a model number?
    Everything I’m going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    Apparently, one of the bearings has lost its lube. (The bottom of the fan housing has oil stains.).
    My wild cyberspace guess is, it has a bad cap and probably has been bad for a long time, causing the motor to run hotter/overheat, and there goes all your "lube" down the side of the motor onto the housing. You might ask you next service company, to check the blower capacitor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    My wild cyberspace guess is, it has a bad cap and probably has been bad for a long time, causing the motor to run hotter/overheat, and there goes all your "lube" down the side of the motor onto the housing. You might ask you next service company, to check the blower capacitor.
    The guy that was here said it was fixable - then he left. IDK what was up with him. He also said, "Don't call xxxxx. They'll tell you that you need a whole new furnace."
    I'm trying to find out what to do. Maybe try another furnace repair company.
    I had a local, reputable company come in last year and do a preventative maintenance tune-up. The heater had been running for a few weeks and didn't make "the noise". They said there was nothing wrong.

Post Likes
    You say this motor does not run during the cooling season, yet you have air conditioning. I conclude this is not the blower motor but a draft inducer for the furnace. Could that be the case?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    You say this motor does not run during the cooling season, yet you have air conditioning. I conclude this is not the blower motor but a draft inducer for the furnace. Could that be the case?
    For a DIY is there a difference?

9. Likes CircusEnvy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don’t know, she did say this.

I had a guy in once and he opened up the furnace to where you could see the blower. IIRC the fan has a horizontal shaft with sealed bearings on each end. Apparently, one of the bearings has lost its lube. (The bottom of the fan housing has oil stains.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I'll bet that's what it is. Are they easy to replace?

Post Likes
    Ask your HVAC contractor.

Post Likes
    For someone that knows yes.

Post Likes
    For someone with a knowledge of electricity and combustion analysis, yes.

It is not a task for a handyman or homeowner because an assumption or mistake can ruin the furnace or spill exhaust gases with carbon monoxide into the house.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Thanks all. Its not something I would try to do. But being knowledgeable helps me in my dealings with the contractors. Just like anything. I appreciate what you guys have done for me.

At least now when I call them up I will know what I'm talking about. Muchas gracias dudes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    For someone that knows yes.
    So it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg?

Post Likes
    So it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg?
    Only a couple of fingers.

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Which one of these does it look like? The one on the left or the right?

Name:  Inducer.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  18.5 KBName:  Blower.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  44.4 KB

Post Likes
    Just find someone from one of the links in my sig. They'll figure it out in short order.

Site member map HERE!