Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Refrigerant detectors, which is the best and most sensitive?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes

    Refrigerant detectors, which is the best and most sensitive?

    I would like to get feedback from other field experts, which refrigerant detector works best on r-22, and r410? Does one detector work better on either? Will they detect a formicary corrosion leak? Trying to speed up the dye test method and find leaks faster. Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,909
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by treysdad View Post
    I would like to get feedback from other field experts, which refrigerant detector works best on r-22, and r410? Does one detector work better on either? Will they detect a formicary corrosion leak? Trying to speed up the dye test method and find leaks faster. Thanks for the help
    Speed up the dye test?

    after a few hours of run time the dye has circulated!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I do not want to sit in front of a system and run for a few hours. I was looking for a method to test immediately and find the leak. By "speeding up" the dye test, I was looking to eliminate the wait. Find leaks now. Hence why I'm asking about the best sniffers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,909
    Post Likes
    1st
    Visual Look for oil
    2nd Electronic, model is up to the user and there experience.
    2.5 Soap bubbles
    3rd Dye

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I am not asking as a beginner. I am looking for the best sniffer. Anything else is not helpful.If you have used one, and had amazing success, please let me know. If not, I am looking for others who have. I am a field expert / owner who is trying to find ways to help my team collapse time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,909
    Post Likes
    I said it its up to the individual tech what there comfy with.

    Ive missed leaks with my H10 that the D-Tech found and visa versa.

    Who makes the best meter, gauges, scale?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,860
    Post Likes
    If you're not a "beginners" why haven't you already purchased a leak detector at this point ?
    I've never used dye never will.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,628
    Post Likes
    The H10 seems to be the most universally respected detector.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  9. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,697
    Post Likes
    Yeah, I'm an H-10 fan myself. That being said, all you can get anymore is the H10 pro, which takes a certain amount of experience and practice to use properly. It will detect 1/2 of 1 oz per year leak. That means it would take 32 years to leak out one pound, that's how sensitive it is.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  11. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    8,272
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, I'm an H-10 fan myself. That being said, all you can get anymore is the H10 pro, which takes a certain amount of experience and practice to use properly. It will detect 1/2 of 1 oz per year leak. That means it would take 32 years to leak out one pound, that's how sensitive it is.
    Biggest issue with the h10, is one I had today.

    Desert air. Reheat and evap are 1ft from each other. Took me forever to dial in, due to have high the sensitivity can be.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,697
    Post Likes
    You can de-tune it. You've got the small-med-large switch, then you got the knob. Had one a couple of weeks ago. Two other co-workers had looked at it before me. Had to put the switch on large then keep turning the knob to less and less sensitivity. Once I got pretty close, squirted bubbles all over, and I'm the hero of the day.


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Biggest issue with the h10, is one I had today.

    Desert air. Reheat and evap are 1ft from each other. Took me forever to dial in, due to have high the sensitivity can be.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •