Thread: Goodman Coil TXV Flare Connection Schrader Vale

Post Likes

Question Goodman Coil TXV Flare Connection Schrader Vale

I typically remove the schrader valve on Goodman coils, inside the case at the factory 1/4" flare connection, before I attach the TXV flare nut. I understand this may not be necessary, since the Goodman TXV flare nut has a depressor that opens the schrader valve. This is apparently where Goodman charges the coil with Nitrogen for pressure testing. (Hence the schrader valve?)

Do others remove the schrader valve, on the coil, before installing the TXV flare nut or am I the only one?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Weird I thought I saw this topic yesterday.
    I do the same thing.
    I've heard of someone having issues on a York where the depressor didn't work or there was not a depressor or something like that so after hearing that I always remove it.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    AOP is a strange place for this thread.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

4. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Doug View Post
    I typically remove the schrader valve on Goodman coils, inside the case at the factory 1/4" flare connection, before I attach the TXV flare nut. I understand this may not be necessary, since the Goodman TXV flare nut has a depressor that opens the schrader valve. This is apparently where Goodman charges the coil with Nitrogen for pressure testing. (Hence the schrader valve?)

Do others remove the schrader valve, on the coil, before installing the TXV flare nut or am I the only one?
    What does the IOM Say to do?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    AOP is a strange place for this thread.

Yep it’s strange along with the other thread lol
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don’t think that there is a dogmatic answer to this but what would be the reason to leave it?

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What does the IOM Say to do?
    Fair question. It is not addressed, This is why I presented it for others to comment on.

Post Likes
    Half full or half empty? Good question. Why remove it if you don't have to? It appears that no one has routine experience with this schrader valve. (Can't say I blame you.... As well, Goodman is not my first choice for installation.)

Post Likes
    Half full or half empty? Good question. Why remove it if you don't have to? It appears that no one has routine experience with this schrader valve. (Can't say I blame you.... As well, Goodman is not my first choice for installation.)
    We all have experience with this valve.................Every damn one is different!

13. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think you got plenty of good answers...especially from 600a! Do you really need someone to be ultra experienced on removing a Schrader from that coil?

I mean I just don’t see how it’s that big of a deal.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I think you got plenty of good answers...especially from 600a! Do you really need someone to be ultra experienced on removing a Schrader from that coil?

I mean I just don’t see how it’s that big of a deal.
    Yeah I don't see any advantage in leaving it in since it doesn't make it easier to change the TXV in the future. Now we need to get the darn factories to put Schrader valves under the high pressure safety so that you don't have to recover the charge to change the silly thing out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Yeah I don't see any advantage in leaving it in since it doesn't make it easier to change the TXV in the future. Now we need to get the darn factories to put Schrader valves under the high pressure safety so that you don't have to recover the charge to change the silly thing out.

Oh man that’s the truth!!!

Apparently manufacturers are trying to abide by the “no valve in series with a safety” rule but that rule needs to be modified to allow schraders.

I think it’s very dangerous to technicians to leave them guessing all the time whether or not there’s a schrader under the damn switch.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I use this on any switch that’s a stub or on a stub

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone! Have a great weekend!!! Schrader valve will be removed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in