Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Goodman Coil TXV Flare Connection Schrader Vale

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes

    Question Goodman Coil TXV Flare Connection Schrader Vale

    I typically remove the schrader valve on Goodman coils, inside the case at the factory 1/4" flare connection, before I attach the TXV flare nut. I understand this may not be necessary, since the Goodman TXV flare nut has a depressor that opens the schrader valve. This is apparently where Goodman charges the coil with Nitrogen for pressure testing. (Hence the schrader valve?)

    Do others remove the schrader valve, on the coil, before installing the TXV flare nut or am I the only one?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,379
    Post Likes
    Weird I thought I saw this topic yesterday.
    I do the same thing.
    I've heard of someone having issues on a York where the depressor didn't work or there was not a depressor or something like that so after hearing that I always remove it.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,379
    Post Likes
    AOP is a strange place for this thread.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  4. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,786
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Doug View Post
    I typically remove the schrader valve on Goodman coils, inside the case at the factory 1/4" flare connection, before I attach the TXV flare nut. I understand this may not be necessary, since the Goodman TXV flare nut has a depressor that opens the schrader valve. This is apparently where Goodman charges the coil with Nitrogen for pressure testing. (Hence the schrader valve?)

    Do others remove the schrader valve, on the coil, before installing the TXV flare nut or am I the only one?
    What does the IOM Say to do?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    AOP is a strange place for this thread.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Yep itís strange along with the other thread lol
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  7. Likes R600a liked this post.
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Likes
    I donít think that there is a dogmatic answer to this but what would be the reason to leave it?
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  9. Likes R600a liked this post.
  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What does the IOM Say to do?
    Fair question. It is not addressed, This is why I presented it for others to comment on.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Half full or half empty? Good question. Why remove it if you don't have to? It appears that no one has routine experience with this schrader valve. (Can't say I blame you.... As well, Goodman is not my first choice for installation.)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,786
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Doug View Post
    Half full or half empty? Good question. Why remove it if you don't have to? It appears that no one has routine experience with this schrader valve. (Can't say I blame you.... As well, Goodman is not my first choice for installation.)
    We all have experience with this valve.................Every damn one is different!

  13. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Doug View Post
    Half full or half empty? Good question. Why remove it if you don't have to? It appears that no one has routine experience with this schrader valve. (Can't say I blame you.... As well, Goodman is not my first choice for installation.)
    I think you got plenty of good answers...especially from 600a! Do you really need someone to be ultra experienced on removing a Schrader from that coil?

    I mean I just donít see how itís that big of a deal.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  15. Likes R600a liked this post.
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,379
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I think you got plenty of good answers...especially from 600a! Do you really need someone to be ultra experienced on removing a Schrader from that coil?

    I mean I just donít see how itís that big of a deal.
    Yeah I don't see any advantage in leaving it in since it doesn't make it easier to change the TXV in the future. Now we need to get the darn factories to put Schrader valves under the high pressure safety so that you don't have to recover the charge to change the silly thing out.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Yeah I don't see any advantage in leaving it in since it doesn't make it easier to change the TXV in the future. Now we need to get the darn factories to put Schrader valves under the high pressure safety so that you don't have to recover the charge to change the silly thing out.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Oh man thatís the truth!!!

    Apparently manufacturers are trying to abide by the ďno valve in series with a safetyĒ rule but that rule needs to be modified to allow schraders.

    I think itís very dangerous to technicians to leave them guessing all the time whether or not thereís a schrader under the damn switch.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  18. Likes R600a liked this post.
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,214
    Post Likes
    I use this on any switch thatís a stub or on a stub
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks everyone! Have a great weekend!!! Schrader valve will be removed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •