Thread: High Velocity Unico and Bosch or Lennox Compressor

Post Likes

Hmm High Velocity Unico and Bosch or Lennox Compressor

I have a 14 year old Unico high-velocity AC unit in my 115 year old house. We are looking to replace it with a new unit. This time a Unico multi-stage handler. I've received quotes from different contractors some of whom recommend pairing the Unico with the Bosch Bova compressor and others with a Lennox two-stage. Wondering whether anyone here has experience with this type of configuration and whether you have opinions on which compressor to go with for reliability and longevity. Current system is a one stage that has worked fine for 14 years. Could replace with a new single stage as well.

Post Likes
    How about asking them to bid a AHRI matched system to either of those outdoor unit, at least you will know the SEER and EER and HSPF on paper of each brand tied to the Unico.

Did they give you model numbers of both sections?

Post Likes
    Unico 4860 Variable Speed, Lennox 16ACX-060 Two Stage. Don't know the Model of the Bosch Bova but it's the 3-5 Ton.

Post Likes
    Sorry would need complete model number of Unico. Think its two numbers, the Unico coil number and the Unico modular blower number also, as the coil box attaches to the modular blower section.

Anyway that’s if you wanted to know the SEER and EER on the Lennox and the SEER and EER and HSPF on the Bosch ( as that’s a Heat Pump gives you the HSPF ) and to see if they are bidding AHRI matched systems.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj

If SEER is important to you thinking you will be overkill with the Bosch and even the Lennox to an extend and won’t get those SEER ratings. Thinking those Unico systems are not real energy efficient and thinking your better off with a 14/15 SEER single stage. Certainly nice systems, ( and you have that that type of duct system already ) just not terribly energy efficient. You did ask for opinions on which type of compressor to go with...
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-11-2021 at 09:32 PM.

5. Likes karmabum liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We have one going in, 14 SEER Rheem A/C, requires the ECM Unico air handler, and ends up with 12 SEER and 1/2 ton less than nominal outdoor unit rating.

I would think the low airflow might mess with the Bosch's staging logic. I'm with Joe, basic A/C makes sense. If you have the duct system in place, make sure you have at least 6 outlets per ton or add some. In our job, we're adding 3 outlets to comply with instructions.