Thread: New furnace Carrier vs. Bryant

Post Likes

New furnace Carrier vs. Bryant

Hi All,

My 1st post here! I've done my research. I now want to see what experts on the forum think. Also, help me see my blind spots. Right now I'm looking for Carrier, Bryant, and Amana. I have appointments with installers coming up. Suggestions on what I should be aware of as a homeowner. Currently, my A/C is a 7 yr old Bryant and the current furnace is an unknown 1997 model. I heard Carrier is top of the line but haven't found any installers that do both Carrier and Bryant. I read they are both the same in terms and specs but Bryant is the better overall value. My analogy is a Toyota vs a Lexus. Don't know much about Amana but will read up. It's for a 1,100 sq ft. home built 1950. Thanks for your suggestions!

Post Likes
    The name on the trucks is more important then the name on the box's!
    Your buying a "System" comprised of many individual components that MUST be installed and sized properly.

Post Likes
    Don't worry so much about the name on the box and more about the name on the truck.

Good equipment can be made bad with a bad install which would include improper sizing. Any equipment is better with a good install. A system that is installed using best practices that does not have duct/air flow deficiencies addressed is a sign of a bad install.

Post Likes
    And why are you replacing a 7 year young unit ???

Post Likes
    Isn’t that system under warranty still, ( A/C part if both sections where changed at the same time? ) if your the original owner and registered everything? Should be 10/10/10 compressor, parts and coil warranty no? Or you got a Frankenstein mismatched dry charge unit or R407C condensor?

Can’t compare a Carrier to Bryant to Amana as at least the Carrier and Bryant has different tier level lines, that’s like comparing a bare bone 14 Seer Bryant to a middle or top tier 14 SEER Carrier. Those higher tier lines typically have more standard features than the bare bone lines. Bells and whistles as they are called.

Chances the Amana will have the best manufacturers warranty of the three brands mentioned once registered, if that’s a high consideration on your list.

Seeing you don’t know much about Amana here is some history of that brand:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WwtDSF0pB6HLIs

Ask for AHRI matched systems. Depending on efficiency of A/C and furnace ( sounds like your replacing everything? ) there are possible rebates from your state or local utility companies and the Federal Tax Credits

Make sure to register your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.

Ask for a start up/commissioning report, things like static pressures, final field refrigerant charge, amprege draws of motors and compressor, and temperature rise across HX, CFM set to your ductwork, etc. etc. are within manufacturers specifications. May want to ask them for that report during bidding process as it takes a little while to do all that, and they may or may not need to adjust the bid a tad to take those checks in. As they say time is money. Your system comes in pieces and needs to be put together and fined tuned, some Companies do a better job than others at that.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-11-2021 at 11:35 AM.

6. Likes Anewbus187 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Carrier & Bryant are the same product with different cosmetics & model #s. Neither is a better value. It isn't like comparing Toyota to Lexus. They have some really low end stuff in both lines for new construction though we find it in replacement as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Anewbus187 View Post
    Hi All,

My 1st post here! I've done my research. I now want to see what experts on the forum think.

Also, help me see my blind spots.

Right now I'm looking for Carrier, Bryant, and Amana. I have appointments with installers coming up.
    Suggestions on what I should be aware of as a homeowner.

Currently, my A/C is a 7 yr old Bryant and
    the current furnace is an unknown 1997 model.

I heard Carrier is top of the line but haven't found any installers that do both Carrier and Bryant.
    I read they are both the same in terms and specs but Bryant is the better overall value.
    My analogy is a Toyota vs a Lexus.

It's for a 1,100 sq ft. home built 1950.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Improve the BUILDING THERMAL ENVELOPE
    ______ THEN a few years
    down the road you can pursue
    an equipment change to further improve your comfort.

__ ___ ___ FIGURE 3 ___ ___ ___ __ RESIDENTIAL HVAC DESIGN PROCESS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I'm getting a new furnace sorry about the confusion.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply. I'm replacing the furnace.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply, I'm just doing the furnace.
    Last edited by Anewbus187; 05-13-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: double reply

Post Likes
    The only thing I would do is verify your A/C is working OK now, and then when they change the furnace recheck the A/C to make sure it’s working OK, so there is no conflict.

If your A/C is a current model still and was matched initially going with a Bryant Furnace may actually bump up you SEER and EER rating ( on paper, not real world numbers thou ) you can tell what your SEER and EER are.

Certainly chances the Amana has the better manufacturers warranty especially if your going condensing.

Post Likes
    Furnace replacement