Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System setup for Dual-Fuel vs traditional oil boiler heat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your probably not going to understand 1/2 of the Gibberish being spoken. 1st ask if you can attend, then just stand back and listen.

When its all said and done ask for an extended warranty, Parts and Labor for training on your system.
    I guess I feel a little better? This was the response I just received.

"We Have put several of the Bosch systems in and thousands of heat pumps. I am putting two of the Bosch systems in my own house. I have some new guys that should see the controls incase we need to service . Plus it would be good for you to see how it works."

Would that make you feel better?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idmd View Post
    I guess I feel a little better? This was the response I just received.

"We Have put several of the Bosch systems in and thousands of heat pumps. I am putting two of the Bosch systems in my own house. I have some new guys that should see the controls incase we need to service . Plus it would be good for you to see how it works."

Would that make you feel better?

3. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well I feel better. Rep was out with some techs and since the kids are at school the house was silent and I could hear them outside at the HP as well as upstairs at the thermostat. 99% of today was the rep talking to them about the thermostat and setting up dual-fuel. Sounded like most of their installations are not dual-fuel but just an HP with emergency electric heat. They have a few teams of installers/techs and this was the last team to get trained and this was not the team that installed my system (those guys were the first to be trained and have the most experiences installing these systems). Everything I heard sounded like everything was as the rep expected and it was just a laidback conversation between the techs and rep. Then the rep and salesman came in to give me a final rundown on everything. They said the switchover point for dual-fuel is 40F but electricity is so cheap here that I may want to go lower but let's see how it performs next winter and if I have any issues they are happy and take a look.

Also happy to see they ran a Manual-J and a commission report which he'll send me later today and Manual-J came back at 3.75tons (I also need it for a rebate) but I have some cathedral ceilings with west-facing skylights that were not accounted for in the calculation and he thinks it's dead-on 4.0 tons factoring that in. That's what the previous systems was too.

Now we see how it works and if it's a piece of crap...lol. Thanks for everyone's help!

Post Likes
    That is one of the major advantages of the BOSCH system, 2 condensing units replace 8 condensing units giving us the ability to really dial it in!

6. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did they set it up for 2 stage cooling?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

8. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Did they set it up for 2 stage cooling?
    Yes, the thermostat now says 2-stage under the heat pump setting.

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    ...and I just received a call. They took the cost of the integrated controller off the price of the system for letting them come out and train this morning.

12. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Something I have not really put too much thought into in the past was the filters. We have allergies in the family and tend to run the A/C all spring, summer and fall to keep the windows closed. I have a bunch of these filters which seem to fit the returns very well and they worked well in the previous system. How does one go about picking a filter with acceptable/optimal airflow characteristics for a particular system? I realize the higher the MPR the more restrictive but how restrictive is too restrictive?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Post Likes
    Doing some reading on here. It seems I have large returns for the size of the system (a little over 4 cubic feet for a 4 ton) which seems to bode well for using more restrictive filters but I'm guessing the answer is to have the tech measure static pressure with the filter in place?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idmd View Post
    ...and I just received a call. They took the cost of the integrated controller off the price of the system for letting them come out and train this morning.
    They probably did that so you would not give them a bad review, and for your inconvenience because they had issues with the system initially on set up that they could not figure out without Tech. Support,..IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    They probably did that so you would not give them a bad review, and they had issues with the system initially on set up that they could not figure out without Tech. Support,..IMO
    Lol...you guys are a tough crowd. I heard them talking outside and they didn't know I was listening and the rep made a comment about how he had already completed this training last year with a few techs and they were the last group to get this training. These guys were last because they are not installers but service guys. There was no "troubleshooting" or back and forth or questions about what was already done. No dismantling or redoing of anything. It was more the rep talking about dual-fuel, it sounded like he was going through his spiel on setting it up, and it was more a lecture format while they stared at the heat pump. Then they went upstairs and went through the different wiring connections in the book for the thermostat and talked about crossover temps and some of the dip switch settings. It was pretty quick and easy. There's no reason I would've given a bad review. The salesman asked if they could train on the system, I said sure, they came out did their thing, and I wasn't put out at all.

Post Likes
    Now the journey begins,...hopefully everything works pretty well and smoothly until the system reaches its end cycle many years from now....
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-16-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Post Likes
    Finally a couple of hotter days here - temps have been 85-88F the past few days with nights in mid-60's. The thermostat is set to 72F:

Night time: A couple of cycles of stage 1 cooling every few hours.

8:30am-11:30am (Sun starts hitting house around 8am) - Runs most of the time in stage 1

11:30am-1:30pm - Runs continuously alternating between stage 1 and stage 2

1:30pm-7:00pm - Runs continuously in stage 2

It's maintaining 72F the entire time. Nighttime the RH has been 55-57%, early morning 53-54% and later afternoon 51-53% - seems to scale with how much the AC is running. My take is the system seems appropriately sized? Hoping for years of problem-free service.

Not a huge deal but they replaced my NEST with a Bosch BCC-100 thermostat - works well and easy to use but it sits on the wall above my head and I'm a light sleeper and the clicks as it cycles on and off are much louder than the Nest (I don't remember any clicks). Does anyone know if there are any silent thermostats out there that will work with a dual-fuel HP system?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12