Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System setup for Dual-Fuel vs traditional oil boiler heat

Post Likes

System setup for Dual-Fuel vs traditional oil boiler heat

I just had a Bosch BOVA-60HDNI-M20G + BVA48WN1-M20 with a Bosch BCC100 thermostat installed. It took the installers the entire day (7:15am to 5:20PM) and I wasn't here when they left to ask any questions. I'll give them a call later this morning but just wanted to know what the consensus is here.

The house is heated by a Burnham V8H hot water boiler. There are five zones with zone 1 being the upstairs bedrooms - this is also the thermostat that controls the AC.

When I got home and looked through everything, the system is currently set up as a single-stage AC and heating is just via the boiler. Am I correct in thinking this should be set up as a two-stage AC and duel-fuel heat pump? I'm in central MA and the price of oil is going up and electricity is relatively cheap here.

In the setup guide for the thermostat would this be "Two-Stage Heatpump with One Stage Emergency Heat"?

As I said, I will speak to the company later today but just wanted to know something about this going into the conversation. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I canít cut and paste that model info from the app.

What is the Bosch system exactly. Is it a multistage heat pump system? Is it an air handler with back up heat?
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Unfortunately I can’t cut and paste that model info from the app.

What is the Bosch system exactly. Is it a multistage heat pump system? Is it an air handler with back up heat?
    It's a 4-ton Bosch IDS 2.0 ducted Inverter heat pump and the AH does not have auxiliary heat. The description from the website is, "This system combines our top tier BOVA20 outdoor unit with our exceptional BVA20 two stage x13 ECM style air handler."

It's my understanding that is can be setup to use the heat pump to heat down to a certain temp and then switch over to the boiler when it gets too cold.

Post Likes
    What was it sold as, a heat pump or A/C?

Post Likes
    Name:  Setup Guide.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  942.7 KBName:  Thermostat.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  795.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What was it sold as, a heat pump or A/C?
    A replacement for an A/C. Perfectly happy to pay any extra cost of making it function as a heat pump if that makes sense in my situation.

Based on the wiring of the thermostat it looks like it's wired as a "Single stage heat pump with emergency heat"? Even if I don't use the heat pump for heat, should this not be wired for 2-stage A/C operation (have a Y2 wire)?

Post Likes
    Before YOU change anything contact the installing contractor, Changes affect warranties!

7. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Before YOU change anything contact the installing contractor, Changes affect warranties!
    I'm not touching a thing on a day old system! I'll talk to the installer later - I just like to understand a little about what's going on going into the conversation.

My biggest question is should this be wired for 2-stage A/C?

Post Likes
    This was the response I got this morning, "If possible I want to do a quick refresher on this system with the rep on Thursday this week around 8am . I will be there with a couple of my service guys. If this works with you and you could be there it would be great."

I'm happy with this since I did not get a chance to see anyone during the install and hopefully the installer/rep will be able to answer my questions. Still interested to hear various opinions on this system and how it should be setup.

Post Likes
    That is an Inverter Driven compressor, It varies the speed according to demand.

I'm glad he's coming back with the Rep, its a must it be set up properly.

11. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That is an Inverter Driven compressor, It varies the speed according to demand.

I'm glad he's coming back with the Rep, its a must it be set up properly.

Post Likes
    Bulk up on oil during the summer, there are web-sites you can order that service your area, co op cash heating oil being one. Beats the locals every time. Hard to believe that electric rates are cheap in central Mass. I’m in central Ct. and electric rates are quite high here.

I'm in central MA and the price of oil is going up and electricity is relatively cheap here.

How much is electricity per kWh in Massachusetts?
    Residential Electricity Rates in Massachusetts

In terms of cost per kilowatt hour (kWh), Massachusetts can be pricey. As of January 2019, the average retail price of electricity in the residential sector was 22.57 cents per kWh. That puts Massachusetts at the third highest rate in the nation.

14. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Bulk up on oil during the summer, there are web-sites you can order that service your area, co op cash heating oil being one. Beats the locals every time. Hard to believe that electric rates are cheap in central Mass. Iím in central Ct. and electric rates are quite high here.

I'm in central MA and the price of oil is going up and electricity is relatively cheap here.

How much is electricity per kWh in Massachusetts?
    Residential Electricity Rates in Massachusetts

In terms of cost per kilowatt hour (kWh), Massachusetts can be pricey. As of January 2019, the average retail price of electricity in the residential sector was 22.57 cents per kWh. That puts Massachusetts at the third highest rate in the nation.
    I live in a town with a municipal power company - the residential rate is a flat $0.04 per kWh. I lived in Fairfield County CT for a long time where current rates are $0.17 to $0.34 per kWh depending on peak/off-peak. The cheap electricity is why I'm leaning on using the heat pump.

https://www.holdenma.gov/sites/g/fil...rate_ver_3.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idmd View Post
    I live in a town with a municipal power company - the residential rate is a flat $0.04 per kWh. I lived in Fairfield County CT for a long time where current rates are $0.17 to $0.34 per kWh depending on peak/off-peak. The cheap electricity is why I'm leaning on using the heat pump.

https://www.holdenma.gov/sites/g/fil...rate_ver_3.pdf
    Sounds like your all set then........just my opinion, but this company does not sound well versed on the Bosch BOVA, if they have to call out Tech. Support after the 1st day as I’m sure it’s a fairly complicated system. Inverters usually are. Didn’t they ( this company ) get some type of additional training from Bosch or the Distributor ( who handles this brand ) put on a presentation/class on the proper install and set ups of different configurations? It’s not like this system is a bare bone single stage 13/14 SEER Heat Pump.

17. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like your all set then...

Oh...and a 15% discount if you pay your bill early (within 15 days of the bill date)...lol

Post Likes
    Sounds like your all set then........just my opinion, but this company does not sound well versed on the Bosch BOVA, if they have to call out Tech. Support after the 1st day as Iím sure itís a fairly complicated system. Inverters usually are. Didnít they ( this company ) get some type of additional training from Bosch or the Distributor ( who handles this brand ) put on a presentation/class on the proper install and set ups of different configurations? Itís not like this system is a bare bone single stage 13/14 SEER Heat Pump.
    I agree but it sounds like the salesman is bringing some techs to get additional training from the rep. All I know is the salesman just installed two of these systems in his house so hopefully, the training goes well! I'm not sure if these are the same guys who did the install or other techs getting training. This is a large, well-known, and well-respected company in my area so hopefully, they're not in over their heads. I guess I'll have to rely on the rep to look things over and make sure they were done correctly.

Post Likes
    I really hate this new, over-engineered stuff. I install my basic system and I never have issues. Anytime I install these "badass" systems I end up regretting it.

21. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    I really hate this new, over-engineered stuff. I install my basic system and I never have issues. Anytime I install these "badass" systems I end up regretting it.
    1 advantage of the BOSCH system is 2 units cover 1 - 5 Tons!

Disadvantage is with out training they get screwed up real fast.

OP

Id be very concerned that the Salesman is doing training on your system after install and start up!

Post Likes
    1 advantage of the BOSCH system is 2 units cover 1 - 5 Tons!

Disadvantage is with out training they get screwed up real fast.

OP

Id be very concerned that the Salesman is doing training on your system after install and start up!

I share your concern too. I will be paying close attention tomorrow when the rep is out. What would you want to know at this point if you were me?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idmd View Post
    I share your concern too. I will be paying close attention tomorrow when the rep is out. What would you want to know at this point if you were me?
    Your probably not going to understand 1/2 of the Gibberish being spoken. 1st ask if you can attend, then just stand back and listen.

When its all said and done ask for an extended warranty, Parts and Labor for training on your system.

25. Likes idmd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Your probably not going to understand 1/2 of the Gibberish being spoken. 1st ask if you can attend, then just stand back and listen.

When its all said and done ask for an extended warranty, Parts and Labor for training on your system.
    He wanted me there so I guess that's good. I have an email into him just inquiring how many of these have they installed and what's the nature of the training? I will ask about the extended warranty for training. Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast