Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrenches and Socket Sizes for Residential Service

Post Likes

Wrenches and Socket Sizes for Residential Service

What sizes do you guys carry in your toolkit which you find covers all situations.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    What sizes do you guys carry in your toolkit which you find covers all situations.
    I always keep full wrench and socket sets on the van but for EDC in a tool bag...

In residential I mainly only used 1/4 & 5/16 wrenches unless I was changing a motor.

In commercial I carry 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 ratchet wrenches, and a klein adjustable I modified to open super wide.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    X2

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I keep this in the truck. I have had it since middle school.
    In my backpack I have nut drivers in 1/4, 5/16, 7/16(I think) 3/8 and a Craftsman roll up combination wrench set.
    That is not really the full list but thats what I use most.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. What sizes do you find you typically require for motors - or do they all vary? Also are HVAC equipment bolts imperial or metric? Sometimes it can be hard to say since there is a good chance they may be metric if made overseas just like in many vehicles.

Also what sizes do you find you need for working with other components such as TxVs that are screwed on rather than sweat or brazed?

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. What sizes do you find you typically require for motors - or do they all vary? Also are HVAC equipment bolts imperial or metric? Sometimes it can be hard to say since there is a good chance they may be metric if made overseas just like in many vehicles.

Also what sizes do you find you need for working with other components such as TxVs that are screwed on rather than sweat or brazed?
    I have an 11/32 nut driver for condenser fan motors and these crescent wrenches are my pipe wrench and TXV wrench and pretty much everything else.

8. Likes szw21, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes

99.9% SAE. Even foreign stuff...I work on a ton of foreign stuff and pretty much never use metric. In the rare case it is metric an SAE will still be close enough most of the time.

For motors

3/8 leg bolts

7/16 belly band

11/32 condenser fan bolts (yes it is stupid)

Magnets to hold blower motor legs in place

Service wrench on square head bolts and also a 3/8 drive extension used backwards for square hub bolts closer to the base.

TXVs use adjustables unless itís in a tight space then you bring in the entire wrench role with every size known to man...and you also invent new combinations of curse words...and go back to the van to make a stubby wrench but seriously I keep a few stubbies as well. For wrench sets Iím a big fan of wright tools. That wright grip WILL NOT slip.

For allen/hex keys I really like bondhus and wera hex plus

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

10. Likes R600a, szw21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    99.9% SAE. Even foreign stuff...I work on a ton of foreign stuff and pretty much never use metric. In the rare case it is metric an SAE will still be close enough most of the time.

For motors

3/8 leg bolts

7/16 belly band

11/32 condenser fan bolts (yes it is stupid)

Magnets to hold blower motor legs in place

Service wrench on square head bolts and also a 3/8 drive extension used backwards for square hub bolts closer to the base.

TXVs use adjustables unless itís in a tight space then you bring in the entire wrench role with every size known to man...and you also invent new combinations of curse words...and go back to the van to make a stubby wrench but seriously I keep a few stubbies as well. For wrench sets Iím a big fan of wright tools. That wright grip WILL NOT slip.

For allen/hex keys I really like bondhus and wera hex plus
    For the stubby wrenches I like harbor freight cheap combination wrenches and then you just cut them in half. I would hate to do that to an expensive one.

Post Likes

PS donít buy junk adjustables. Get a quality brand like Klein, bahco etc.

Bahco actually made some stuff for snapon idk if they still do. I think they make the raptor brand as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    For the stubby wrenches I like harbor freight cheap combination wrenches and then you just cut them in half. I would hate to do that to an expensive one.

That a great idea. I need to buy a set of those crappers just to have around for that purpose!

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    PS donít buy junk adjustables. Get a quality brand like Klein.
    Proto is really good too. They are American made and some of the toughest adjustables I've ever used. And the Bahco in in my picture is amazing as a pipe wrench although it's a bit too flexible as a regular wrench and I think it is American made too or something like that.

16. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    PS don’t buy junk adjustables. Get a quality brand like Klein.
    I can believe that. Many years ago I bought some junk pipe wrenches. After that I only buy Ridgid wrenches.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I can believe that. Many years ago I bought some junk pipe wrenches. After that I only buy Ridgid wrenches.
    Thatís funny I had the same exact experience. Now I will not allow it on my van unless itís ridgid (Iím kinda fanatical about my tool preferences )

20. Likes szw21, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Proto is really good too. They are American made and some of the toughest adjustables I've ever used. And the Bahco in in my picture is amazing as a pipe wrench although it's a bit too flexible as a regular wrench and I think it is American made too or something like that.

I actually forgot about Bahco and went and added it back in. I do like them for sure. Iíve got a few of their adjustables. Have you seen the new klein for doing powerheads and stuff?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I keep ľ"-Ĺ" nut drivers, ľ"-ĺ" ratcheting combo wrenches and ⁷/Ļ⁶"-ĺ" deep sockets. I have a full setup that stays with me but that's in my bag or pocket at all times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As if I wasn't broke enough. More tools to buy.

25. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As if I wasn't broke enough. More tools to buy.

Hahaha yeah stay away from that one itís pricy but my Airco guy gave it to me at like cost so I had to have it

I will say though I almost never regret buying a quality tool.

27. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hahaha yeah stay away from that one itís pricy but my Airco guy gave it to me at like cost so I had to have it

I will say though I almost never regret buying a quality tool.
    Same here. I love having good tools and I think I'm going to have to have that one. I'm on my way to the parts house to see how much it will cost to order.

29. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes

Same here. I love having good tools and I think I'm going to have to have that one. I'm on my way to the parts house to see how much it will cost to order.

Awesome! Well talk em down for sure! Itíll probably be around $40.

Itís really handy for plumbing as well if you get into any of that.

I donít absolutely need it very often but there are definitely a few times a year when a standard adjustable will not work for what I am doing.

31. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast