Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Wrenches and Socket Sizes for Residential Service

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Awesome! Well talk em down for sure! Itíll probably be around $40.

    Itís really handy for plumbing as well if you get into any of that.

    I donít absolutely need it very often but there are definitely a few times a year when a standard adjustable will not work for what I am doing.
    I can see a lot of uses for it.
    $40 would not be bad. All of mine other than the 6" are over $30.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  2. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Likes
    I like the look of this one. I use channel locks wide azz. It's got a wide grip with skinny jaws. Backing ľ" flares can be a pain with a standard adjustable wrench.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  4. Likes R600a liked this post.
  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I can see a lot of uses for it.
    $40 would not be bad. All of mine other than the 6" are over $30.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    $37 before tax. Its on the way if my order gets in before the last one is gone.
    18 minutes ago I didn't know that existed.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  6. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  7. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    I like the look of this one. I use channel locks wide azz. It's got a wide grip with skinny jaws. Backing ľ" flares can be a pain with a standard adjustable wrench.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah thatís a perfect example of the kinda thing you need it for!

    Whatís been your experience with channel lock? I have some old channel locks that are tough as balls. All of the newer channel lock stuff seems like itís made out of cheese. I mean I have like 5 different things that all have the jaws just destroyed from mild use.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  8. Likes R600a liked this post.
  9. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    $37 before tax. Its on the way if my order gets in before the last one is gone.
    18 minutes ago I didn't know that existed.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Dang dude thatís awesome! Good deal too! I just checked Amazon and itís $45
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  10. Likes R600a liked this post.
  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Dang dude thatís awesome! Good deal too! I just checked Amazon and itís $45
    My lock supply treats me really well.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  12. Likes JayMan7, Zamoramax liked this post.
  13. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    717
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Does this work well for tight spots. That's one thing I don't like about adjustables is that the jaws can be too thick to get them into some spots

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Yeah thatís a perfect example of the kinda thing you need it for!

    Whatís been your experience with channel lock? I have some old channel locks that are tough as balls. All of the newer channel lock stuff seems like itís made out of cheese. I mean I have like 5 different things that all have the jaws just destroyed from mild use.
    I like them. The ones I have are only 6" so not much in the way of leverage but it more than gets the job done and without issue.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    I like them. The ones I have are only 6" so not much in the way of leverage but it more than gets the job done and without issue.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Good to know!
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes

    Wrenches and Socket Sizes for Residential Service

    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Does this work well for tight spots. That's one thing I don't like about adjustables is that the jaws can be too thick to get them into some spots
    It definitely isnít going to be good for tight spots since it is 8Ē. It works in places were you canít get a thicker jaw to fit...if thatís what you meant by tight spots
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  17. Likes R600a liked this post.
  18. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    717
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    It definitely isn’t going to be good for tight spots since it is 8”. It works in places were you can’t get a thicker jaw to fit...if that’s what you meant by tight spots
    How thick are the jaws? Looks like it might be a good tool for my toolkit.

  19. Likes R600a liked this post.
  20. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes
    These open super wide, ďratchetĒ, and are pretty good in tight spots. Strong clamping force too. I have every size but use this size the most.

    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  21. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
  22. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,209
    Post Likes

    This one is a little better for size reference
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  23. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
  24. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    I carry this primarily for 60% gas furnaces and ovens because it has the sizes I need for pilot tubes and thermocouples.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  25. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  26. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,249
    Post Likes
    Irwin adjustable pliers - tough as nails. I use it as a hammer all the time.
    Gearwrench 1/4 / 5/16 ratcheting wrench with sockets and bits - real time saver for those hard to get to
    screws.
    5/16 to 3/4 craftsman offset wrenches (they still replace a broken tool)

  27. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Kansas Flatlands
    Posts
    746
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    I can believe that. Many years ago I bought some junk pipe wrenches. After that I only buy Ridgid wrenches.
    My dad was a plumber and had a tee shirt, " plumber's tools are Rigid ". I will agree that"s the only pipe wrenches to buy, but I'll add that nearly every Saturday morning from April to September they can be found at yard sales for just a few dollars. I believe I have given away at least 20 pipe wrenches to young techs still building a tool arsenal. Same for adjustable wrenches, about a month ago I pulled over to a sale and walked away with a 15" Cresent for $5. Yup Cresent brand, and it will be another gift to one of our "kids" when the time comes.

    I also have found that buying cheap tubing cutters is a total waste of $$$

    By all accounts cheap hand tools should be avoided just like meters were discussed in a prior thread here

  28. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
  29. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Kansas Flatlands
    Posts
    746
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I carry this primarily for 60% gas furnaces and ovens because it has the sizes I need for pilot tubes and thermocouples.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I carry that same set, just with a 4"cresent and a 7/16" flare nut wrench also tucked in the pockets.

  30. Likes R600a liked this post.
  31. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    It came in. I can't wait to use it.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  32. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    717
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    It came in. I can't wait to use it.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I bought the 6" version last week. They also have a 4" version. Would be nice if they sold them as a set.

  33. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,366
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    I bought the 6" version last week. They also have a 4" version. Would be nice if they sold them as a set.
    It's pretty darn nice. I can't wait to use it.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •