Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrap Metal is up .... bring yours in

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How do they remove them?

PHM
    --------
    Sawzall...they just hack it outta there. They hit tranny lines and o2 sensor harnesses. They’re real bastards.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I was reading Car Talk. He had a person write in with a Japanese car (??) and said they took the whole tail pipe. $2000
    to replace because of sensors etc.. I wonder if insurance covers it or is it classed as vandalism.

It seems like there's some sort of collusion between scrap dealers and the cities. Like when countries figured how to stop pirates
    by not giving them safe harbor anywhere, cities have to make it pricey for scrap dealers to buy stuff that a seller can't prove
    they have the right possess.
    Last time I scrapped some copper, the dealer took my tag number. Not sure that would have stopped a thief.
    Why are scrappers allowed to buy stuff that's obviously stolen? I can't. I'd get charged with receiving stolen goods.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I was reading Car Talk. He had a person write in with a Japanese car (??) and said they took the whole tail pipe. $2000
    to replace because of sensors etc.. I wonder if insurance covers it or is it classed as vandalism.

It seems like there's some sort of collusion between scrap dealers and the cities. Like when countries figured how to stop pirates
    by not giving them safe harbor anywhere, cities have to make it pricey for scrap dealers to buy stuff that a seller can't prove
    Last time I scrapped some copper, the dealer took my tag number. Not sure that would have stopped a thief.
    Why are scrappers allowed to buy stuff that's obviously stolen? I can't. I'd get charged with receiving stolen goods.
    not around here, Big signs all over the place, no bringing stuff in station wagons, shopping carts, wheel barrows, you must show a valid NY ID or no money.

It sure has cut down on theft from job sites
    VICTORY

or

VALHALLA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post

I was in a scrap yard one time hauling a load of metal for somebody else and somebody came up with a duffel bag of copper and the lady at the counter turned him away and as he walked off she took a picture of him and had somebody get the tag number on his car to turn him in to the police. That place even had signs saying to please not leave bodies in the vehicles. It was creepy I felt like I had walked into a Mexico border town.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I was in a scrap yard one time hauling a load of metal for somebody else and somebody came up with a duffel bag of copper and the lady at the counter turned him away and as he walked off she took a picture of him and had somebody get the tag number on his car to turn him in to the police. That place even had signs saying to please not leave bodies in the vehicles. It was creepy I felt like I had walked into a Mexico border town.

Why do you feel it necessary to talk down about Mexico? What did they ever do to you.

(Sorry the ipa are hitting hard tonight and I can’t help myself.)(lord forgive me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Why do you feel it necessary to talk down about Mexico? What did they ever do to you.

(Sorry the ipa are hitting hard tonight and I can’t help myself.)(lord forgive me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey there's no denying that bordertowns on the Mexican border are pretty rough.

9. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    not around here, Big signs all over the place, no bringing stuff in station wagons, shopping carts, wheel barrows, you must show a valid NY ID or no money.

It sure has cut down on theft from job sites
    I guess if a thief knew how to remove the platinum and palladium and what ever they wouldn't need a scrap yard.
    I'll bet there's a YouTube.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    BTW those dumb mother f****** have already stolen like 10 cats out of our vans. Even got the cats on the new truck that was inside our cage. Police say there is nothing that they can do because they can’t id them.

We just had a bunch cut right off on our vehicles as well! Sounded real nice when we started them up.

Post Likes
    The yards I go to here in NE have cameras all over the place.
    They scan your driver license or ID first.
    They will cut you a check on the spot for everything except electrical wire.
    You must provide a mailing/physical address for the copper wire check to be mailed to.
    Also a thumb print also.

The utilities have been hit pretty hard and got the mailing address requirement added, IIRC.
    Still can't prove stolen, but some deterrent.

I have seen rolls of new copper at the scrap yard that obviously no contractor would sell for scrap.
    Same for copper fittings, I have brought some new sweat fittings there for a little above scrap price.

The main theft for them has been the ground wire run from the pole top down to the ground rod, maybe 1/0 copper cut off about 8' above grade.

Some bodies have been found in substations, a shocking experience for some.

13. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A few years ago someone punched a hole in the gas tank of our big shop truck in order to steal the gas. Our shop guy got about a mile away before it ran out of gas and we figured out what happened.

Stupid crack-heads.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

15. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Heard from one of those economic adviser people- said he was told copper could go to 10 bucks a pound.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    Heard from one of those economic adviser people- said he was told copper could go to 10 bucks a pound.
    Holy Crap! Things will get interesting if that happens.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

18. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    Might have to send the Home Owner to the supply house to purchase the lineset ..so they dont think we are rippin them off

I did that with a Convection Oven Motor

That thing was 800 bucks , Im like Dude , buy it here off the internet and call me when you get it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Might have to send the Home Owner to the supply house to purchase the lineset ..so they dont think we are rippin them off

I did that with a Convection Oven Motor

That thing was 800 bucks , Im like Dude , buy it here off the internet and call me when you get it
    Been there done that !

Post Likes
    I might have to hold onto my copper a while and see what happens 🤔

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I might have to hold onto my copper a while and see what happens ��
    yeah I haven't brought in my buckets of piping yet , I just wanted to get ridda those big ass coils

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    The yards I go to here in NE have cameras all over the place.
    They scan your driver license or ID first.
    They will cut you a check on the spot for everything except electrical wire.
    You must provide a mailing/physical address for the copper wire check to be mailed to.
    Also a thumb print also.

The utilities have been hit pretty hard and got the mailing address requirement added, IIRC.
    Still can't prove stolen, but some deterrent.

I have seen rolls of new copper at the scrap yard that obviously no contractor would sell for scrap.
    Same for copper fittings, I have brought some new sweat fittings there for a little above scrap price.

The main theft for them has been the ground wire run from the pole top down to the ground rod, maybe 1/0 copper cut off about 8' above grade.

Some bodies have been found in substations, a shocking experience for some.
    In my city there have been miles of back lanes where the ground copper from the transformers has been cut off. A lot of Manitoba Hydro substations have signs saying no copper on site to try and keep the scrappers out.

I have not yet heard that any bodies have been found here trying to scrap a hot line.

Post Likes
    Google "copper thieves get electrocuted" and hit Images

Post Likes
    Yup some gruesome stuff there.

Post Likes
    I shouldn't have looked that up. I don't know how people are that crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12