Thread: Heat pump gurgling noise

Post Likes

Heat pump gurgling noise

I have a Carrier 18VS (25VNA) heat pump and an FE4A fan coil, installed in February of this year.

I've recently noticed that when in the cooling mode there is a distinct gurgling noise on the liquid return line from the fan coil when the compressor is running in stage 1. I goes away when it moves up to stage 2. (It has never gotten above stage 2 for either heating or cooling.) Both heating and cooling work without a problem. And, the sound is not in the condensate drain.

My dealer said that is normal and not to worry.

Here are the stats from the Carrier thermostat:

• heat pump cooling Stage 1
    • compressor RPM 1135
    • outdoor coil temperatures 75
    • suction pressure 113
    • suction temperature 55
    • suction superheat 16.0
    • discharge temperature 108
    • EVX position 100%
    • outside temperature 71
    • indoor airflow CFM 300
    • static pressure 0.04

Is this normal behavior for a variable stage heat pump?

Thanks,

Paul Anderson

Post Likes
    Sounds normal. Sometimes liquid refrigerant moving through the line set can sound like that.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    What no subcooling number? That Air Handler has a TXV, many manufacturers want to see subcooling number to manufacturers specifications. What is the manufacturers specifications to what you actually have. Providing everything is set up correctly CFM, ductwork sized correctly. Shouldn’t your system go into a high stage once in a while?

Post Likes
    I'd wonder why the EEV is at 100% when the air handler is only at 300 CFM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    I give up what’s a EVX? are you referring to a EEV type metering device? Never installed one, just going by this literature dated 11/2/20 from Carrier web-site says the FE4A has a standard TXV as the metering device page 3.

https://www.shareddocs.com/hvac/docs...1-20492-01.pdf

Post Likes
    The report is from the heat pump, which has an EVX for heating. I assume the HP reports it at 100% so that it doesn't interfere with cooling. The fan coil, which has a TVX, does not report its status.

Post Likes
    The fan coil doesn't report the status of the TVX

Post Likes
    Okay, that makes sense for it then.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    I'm in San Francisco. The install happened at the end of the heating season. After being off overnight it typically had to add only 1 degree of heat and then stayed off until the next morning. Right now temperatures are moderate (50 degree lows and 65 degree highs). Cooling happens late afternoon after the solar load has warmed the house while outside temps are in the 60s, so the heat pump doesn't have to work very hard.

Post Likes
    Ah, its most likely the running in cooling mode when its only 60 outside causing the gurgling.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Could it be that what is happening is that incompletely condensed vapor is mixed with the condensed coolant flowing through the liquid line given the low CFM in the fan coil?

Post Likes
    Actually, at 60 outside temp, the refrigerant is condensing rather rapidly. And the head pressure is a bit too low. So that when the refrigerant reaches the indoor unit, it is already starting to boiling into a vapor.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Actually, at 60 outside temp, the refrigerant is condensing rather rapidly. And the head pressure is a bit too low. So that when the refrigerant reaches the indoor unit, it is already starting to boiling into a vapor.
    Sorry. I should have said "evaporator" since the noise is in the fan coil during cooling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Sorry. I should have said "evaporator" since the noise is in the fan coil during cooling. (With appropriate changes fron "condensed" to "evaporated".)

Post Likes
    “Sorry. I should have said "evaporator" since the noise is in the fan coil during cooling.”

Noise by indoor section you say,....Then the indoor “TXV” is active, ( as the Air Handler info package says you have a TXV, or called a TEV not called a TVX ) here’s the install guide, shows how to do the final field refrigerant charge to subcooling starting on page 8 if everything lines up, such as CFM, static pressures, ductwork correctly sized.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8AMvrH01peZH38

Dated 1/2020

How do you know that they followed exactly how to do the final field refrigerant charge per manufacturers specifications as you do not mention subcooling number. As you can see it’s a very detailed with many perimeters that need to fall in place to charge by subcooling.

Heat Pump terminology parts are called indoor coil and outdoor coil, no such thing as evaporator or condensor. Indoor motor and outdoor motor, the larger insulated line on the lineset is called the vapor line and not a suction line. The metering devices are called indoor or outdoor metering device. Talking more so split system Heat Pumps

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PAnderson415 View Post
    Sorry. I should have said "evaporator" since the noise is in the fan coil during cooling. (With appropriate changes fron "condensed" to "evaporated".)
    Its running low pressures due to outside temp. Its going to have gurgling noise. Not unusual.
    Contractor locator map