Thread: Should secondary drain pain be changed with new install?

Post Likes

Should secondary drain pain be changed with new install?

I'm getting quotes for a new HVAC unit. Some quotes include the secondary pan replacement and some dont. How essential is it to replace the secondary pan under the evap coil if the current pan is in good condition albeit 15 years old. Current pan is plastic.

Post Likes
    Frankly if it's in good shape I'd leave it alone.
    It's not like they just go bad with age....
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nyknicks8 View Post
    I'm getting quotes for a new HVAC unit. Some quotes include the secondary pan replacement and some dont. How essential is it to replace the secondary pan under the evap coil if the current pan is in good condition albeit 15 years old. Current pan is plastic.
    We always install a new "metal" pan, just makes the job look nicer, not saying it's required, it's just our preference.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Plastic does get brittle with age.

Focus on the most important aspects like, who the contractor is and the quality of their work. Then once you decide on the contractor, if the pan is not in the quote just negotiate it. A lot of companies will just throw it in for free if it helps them make the sale.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    We always install a new "metal" pan, just makes the job look nicer, not saying it's required, it's just our preference.
    We did as well. I always assumed it was standard to do so but I guess not.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Thinking it’s cheap insurance to replace, and not tons of money to replace. The position of the new coil ( how it’s hooked up, width and length ) may be to close for comfort for the existing one.

Post Likes
    Pookie the hell out of it and let it go. I mean, if it takes a bunch more work to do so, then maybe that is why you got the price you did???? If it isn't rusted and does the job then I would leave well enough alone or repair as needed. Customers like to beat guys down on price so they don't always get to the "nice" job they want to.
    "Life, Liberty, and Levin!"

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Pookie the hell out of it and let it go. I mean, if it takes a bunch more work to do so, then maybe that is why you got the price you did???? If it isn't rusted and does the job then I would leave well enough alone or repair as needed. Customers like to beat guys down on price so they don't always get to the "nice" job they want to.
    That’s true there are some pans out there in some attics which really are a nightmare to deal with

Post Likes
    I am paying quite a bit for the job. If I got a good price, I would not have posted this.

Post Likes
    I'd want a new metal pan if I were in you
    Your shoes.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.