Thread: New HVAC Install and damage caused

Post Likes

New HVAC Install and damage caused

I purchased a home in Nov. of 2020. The AC and Heating unit was 22 years old so I knew I had to replace it. Finally got around to it and had a 3 1/2 Goodman unit installed. The company also ran new wires, drain lines, and electricals. I was planning on changing the air return grille and when I opened it up, I saw that the return floor was soaked...My hallway floor (vynal floor which I just installed, drywall on the surrounding wall up about 6 inches is soft, and carpet in the first room is soaked. I did some more looking and the leak was coming from the u-bend in the drain pipe coming off of the unit. This unit is installed on the main floor in a closet - it isn't located in the attic.

I reached out to the HVAC company and have heard nothing. I am assuming that they will be at fault seeing that the leak was from what they directly replaced but I am just trying to see what I am getting into. I completely renovated this home so it is all new flooring, carpet, and paint.

Any advice?

Post Likes
    It's code to have an overflow safety if the equipment is located in or above a conditioned area. Is this contractor licensed and insured?
    Everything I’m going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like they did not insulate the trap.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Can you post pics yet?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    Can you post pics yet?
    Unfortunately not. It's not letting me attach pictures.

Here is the update - One of the HVAC Techs came out last night to check on why it was leaking. This HVAC Tech was the same Tech who installed the piping on the unit inside. I was watching as he was inspecting the drain line and when he peeled the insulation off of the PVC, the pipes were NOT CONNECTED. No signs of PVC cement either. He then proceeded to tell me that he forgot to cement the connections and joints...I now have the owner of the company to come out and talk about damage. It has flooded my first bedroom and hallway/portion of the living room so it was a significant leak.