Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EasyIO new features

Post Likes

Lightbulb EasyIO new features

Hi,

We are working to improve EasyIO controller features!
    Like many people knows controllers like FS model are really powerful but EasyIO doesn't use all this power.
    We want to use this power to add/improve web functionality

My question is, what kind of web functions you are interesting to see?
    - Better chart widget
    - History manager
    - Alarm manager
    - Analytics
    - Better web interface (supervisor)
    - etc..

Thanks for your feedback!

Post Likes
    I think first off we need capacitors that don't leak after a year or two. The environmental ratings on these components are a problem. https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/22...5#post26018205

After that WiFi MESH is a must. Doing this point to point WiFi isn't reliable, we need the network on the FW etc to adjust around down units.

Post Likes
    Be careful what you ask for.... hehe. You might just get it.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Black Syphilis, Do you work for JCI/ EasyIO?

I think better graphics/ history manager.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I think first off we need capacitors that don't leak after a year or two. The environmental ratings on these components are a problem. https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/22...5#post26018205

After that WiFi MESH is a must. Doing this point to point WiFi isn't reliable, we need the network on the FW etc to adjust around down units.
    Do you have experience with any other manufacturers WiFi Mesh? We typically install it with our own AP’s and that has been working well. I don’t know how I feel about the mesh stuff. I have seen demos of it from other manufacturers and the setup and all seems a bit gimmicky.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I would like the required password on all controllers eliminated. What does a building owner do when they ditch contractor A for contractor B and all the controllers are password protected?
    I understand making it an option, but mandatory is a little much.
    Also the whole .kits file thing is silly. I should be able to get my software, install it and know I have what I need to do my thing. Not having to roll the dice that I have the right .kits file picked up from god knows where.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Do you have experience with any other manufacturers WiFi Mesh? We typically install it with our own AP’s and that has been working well. I don’t know how I feel about the mesh stuff. I have seen demos of it from other manufacturers and the setup and all seems a bit gimmicky.
    I’ve used Ubiquiti in wireless uplink mode to form a mesh network and it was ok. Price wise building my own network plus having wireless controllers? Not going to happen.

Post Likes
    Hey Maxburn

If your going with IP controllers I don’t see it being much less to hard wire and pull CATV home runs to switches for all the controllers.

In my opinion putting in access points is a bit cheaper than pulling all that wire and terminating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Hey Maxburn

If your going with IP controllers I don’t see it being much less to hard wire and pull CATV home runs to switches for all the controllers.

In my opinion putting in access points is a bit cheaper than pulling all that wire and terminating.
    More likely to daisy chain ethernet.

Nobody is going to pay a premium to get wireless controllers, and add wireless access points, AND then deal with the wireless glitch support issues. My current setup with wireless point to point EasyIO FW series was OK but not trouble free, power cycles here and there to get things back working.

Post Likes
    EasyIO is open but not too open so it's not possible to work in low level.
    I'm using EasyIO products since 5-6 years.

I know where EasyIO need improve but I need feedback from other integrator. We have some nice tools idea

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I would like the required password on all controllers eliminated. What does a building owner do when they ditch contractor A for contractor B and all the controllers are password protected?
    Also the whole .kits file thing is silly. I should be able to get my software, install it and know I have what I need to do my thing. Not having to roll the dice that I have the right .kits file picked up from god knows where.
    Password? Talking about web access or sedona program? Both of case you can reset them

Post Likes
    This is my biggest gripe about Easy IO. If you go to connect to one that you haven't ever connected to, it is a crap shoot if you have the right kits that are needed.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Good day All

Although not related to software/firmware, but has Easy IO updated their RS485 / Bacnet MS/TP interface in any of their newer products? I ask, as the last Easy IO controller I analyzed revealed that they only had 2 wires for the RS485/Bacnet interface... which is a problem for long term reliability, interoperability with other controllers, etc. One of my colleagues who is/was a big supporter of Easy IO meet with their lead tech people at one of the trade shows and asked them about the 2-wire interface. He was flatly told that it was not needed and defended their design. The response said a lot and the result is that every customer I have has decided not to use their controllers no matter the features or their price... YMMV.

With that said, this was from a few years ago and so perhaps they have updated their designs, but it may be worthwhile to check.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by s2sam View Post
    The response said a lot and the result is that every customer I have has decided not to use their controllers no matter the features or their price... YMMV.
    What is YMMV?
    Good post by the way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by black_syphilis View Post
    Password? Talking about web access or sedona program? Both of case you can reset them
    Good to know. Thanks!
    When I spoke to the new Johnson based tech support they did not know that apparently.
    To be clear, I can reset the passwords and gain full access to the controller without losing the programming or settings?
    So it is more of a velvet rope barrier, and not a steel wall?
    If so there may be a discussion as to the purpose of the password, but that is not me. I just want to know I can do my thing.

Post Likes
    What is YMMV?
    Good post by the way.
    Good day numbawunfela,

"YMMV" means Your Mileage May Vary. Effectively I am saying that your and others experiences may be different than mine and so take my comment as a data point... nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    More likely to daisy chain ethernet.

Nobody is going to pay a premium to get wireless controllers, and add wireless access points, AND then deal with the wireless glitch support issues. My current setup with wireless point to point EasyIO FW series was OK but not trouble free, power cycles here and there to get things back working.
    Good day Maxburn,

Just a heads up, but adding wireless connectivity to a controller is trivial these days and adds little cost. Depending upon the wireless technology adding a pre-certified radio can range from $5 to $20 and so this really does not burden a controller's overall cost too dramatically. The real costs to the manufacturer are three fold. The first is having competent internal personnel that know what they are doing in terms of hardware/software/firmware design. The second... is the technical skills of the installer/integrator that know how to work with the wireless system and to deal with issues with the congested wireless spectrum. The third ... and this is a bit open ended and related to the second issue ... is that wireless is not simply plug and play and that understanding of the wireless technology, its usage environment, etc needs to be thoroughly understood. If not then support costs can be also open ended.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Good to know. Thanks!
    When I spoke to the new Johnson based tech support they did not know that apparently.
    To be clear, I can reset the passwords and gain full access to the controller without losing the programming or settings?
    So it is more of a velvet rope barrier, and not a steel wall?
    If so there may be a discussion as to the purpose of the password, but that is not me. I just want to know I can do my thing.
    Yes it's possible to remove sedona password, manipulation is not userfriendly but if integrator change ALL default password so it's more complexe. It's between velvet rope barrier and steel wall.

BTW my initial question is about WEB features

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by black_syphilis View Post
    BTW my initial question is about WEB features
    And it appears based on the responses here that there are more fundamental things that need to be addressed before the product is accepted.

Post Likes
    And it appears based on the responses here that there are more fundamental things that need to be addressed before the product is accepted.
    Yes EasyIO hardware need improve but what can we do? Just cry to EasyIO and with time products will be more and more awesome! I used first model of FG model and it was really baad but now it's a better product (with FS).
    My point is, if everybody is doing trainspotting, no one can evolve.

So, we want improve software side though web feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast