Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone appreciate this?

Post Likes

Anyone appreciate this?

Was asked to replace the thermostat in my late grandpa's house which is being renovated. Installed a T410 and removed this: [sorry; don't know how to post pictures otherwise as a new user]

Attachment 824095
    Attachment 824093
    Attachment 824094

(wish I took before pictures because that thing probably looked bad 20 years ago before I cleaned it up and it was taupe where now black)

Even under the muck I knew it was too nice to throw out as the dial sort of looks like that of an old Omega Seamaster watch. New thermostats in comparison are utilitarian and ugly, and do they even have thermometers anymore? Too concerned about mercury I guess while some people still have the stuff put into their dental fillings LOL

Anyhow spent a few hours cleaning it up but not even sure what I'm going to do with it. It worked but I have no current need for it as a thermostat; if nothing else it's a working thermometer!

Post Likes
    See if you can repost the pictures, maybe itís just me but I wasnít able to access them.

You should wire it up to control a light thatíd be a cool project a d would look cool if it was on one of those cast iron lamps
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Are you trying to tell us about a Honeywell T87, which was by far the most popular thermostat for about 50 years in a row?

It always makes me feel bad when I am asked to change out a perfectly working one of those. I miss the good ol' days when thermostats didn't need built-in computers in order to work, and a 20 page booklet to explain how to program them.

Post Likes

Anyone appreciate this?

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Are you trying to tell us about a Honeywell T87, which was by far the most popular thermostat for about 50 years in a row?

It always makes me feel bad when I am asked to change out a perfectly working one of those. I miss the good ol' days when thermostats didn't need built-in computers in order to work, and a 20 page booklet to explain how to program them.
    And that 20 page book is basically useless because in all the enginerd ramblings they fail to provide the most basically necessities such as whether or not aux mode keeps y energized.

Those dumb mofos can code smart phones but canít set up thermostats such as a 5000 to handle duel fuel...really???

Ok Iím off my thermostat soap box now

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    This was in my 1950 home
    Attached Images Attached Images   

6. Likes Honeywell liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I saved this one because I just liked it and it is the only one I have ever seen.
    I am thinking about using it for my garage.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

8. Likes Honeywell liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I saved this one because I just liked it and it is the only one I have ever seen.
    I am thinking about using it for my garage.

I save them to get the mercury out of them...does that count

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I save them to get the mercury out of them...does that count
    What for?

Post Likes
    Did you know that Chrysler was one of the pioneers of commercial air conditioning?

The story I remember was that when they were building their Chrysler Building in NYC they couldn't find anyone capable of air conditioning it, so they figured out a way to make all of the stuff themselves.

They were ahead of the curve and had better stuff than their competitors, but it didn't take long for everyone to catch up and pass them by.

What's interesting is that even though they figured out building air conditioning in the early 1930's, it wasn't until the 1950's till they started putting it in their cars. I think they were the 3rd auto manufacturer to offer a/c in cars.

12. Likes R600a, Honeywell liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Did you know that Chrysler was one of the pioneers of commercial air conditioning?

The story I remember was that when they were building their Chrysler Building in NYC they couldn't find anyone capable of air conditioning it, so they figured out a way to make all of the stuff themselves.

They were ahead of the curve and had better stuff than their competitors, but it didn't take long for everyone to catch up and pass them by.

What's interesting is that even though they figured out building air conditioning in the early 1930's, it wasn't until the 1950's till they started putting it in their cars. I think they were the 3rd auto manufacturer to offer a/c in cars.
    My buddy has got a chrysler AC thatís probably 30 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What for?

Itís fun to play with plus I may want it for at some point for some experiments

15. Likes R600a, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It’s fun to play with plus I may want it for at some point for some experiments
    I used to break old thermometers apart ( the kind you put under your tongue) and play with the mercury

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    My buddy has got a chrysler AC that’s probably 30 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if its a Chrysler it was built way before 1991. try from the 60's or 70's. 50-60 years old
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Hey guys, cool pictures! I needed 7 posts before I could post links for the images to show up. Hopefully they will show up in the next reply.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    if its a Chrysler it was built way before 1991. try from the 60's or 70's. 50-60 years old
    Unless he is talking about a car.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell View Post

Nice job that is beautiful.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    Wow thatís truly incredible!!!

Post Likes
    Unless he is talking about a car.....

Nah itís an AC unit...50-60 years thatís unbelievable!!!

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell View Post

Yep, that'd be a T87. I'd guess about 90% of houses built between about 1950 and 1990 came with one of those. What year was your grandpas house? If I had to make a wild guess I'd say that thing is maybe from the early 80's?

I like your paint job. Very classy looking!

By the way, if you ever wanted to resurrect that thing and re-install it in your own house, the sub-base can easily be changed out for one that can do heating and cooling. I'd bet if you asked, someone would probably have one that they'd be happy to send you for not very much money. If you did this, you could probably get another 30 years of use out of it. They're good thermostats, but not very many people appreciate them. These days, everyone wants a stupid nest .
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

26. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast