Thread: How not to run wires for a mini split.

Post Likes

How not to run wires for a mini split.

While this pertains to a minisplit the issue im pointing out is electrical.
    The original installers must have run short on SOW cord and must have also not had buttsplice connectors or wire nuts or integrity.
    This would still have been a code violation if it was but splice connectors and still violates install "guidelines" set by manufacturers but it would have been a heck of alot safer. There were several other issues but they were mechanical so mayhaps another thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What idiots there are out there! I thought everybody knew to use reefing knots. Those look like they started out to use coupled bowline knots but didn't manage to get the rabbit Over let alone through the hole.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    While this pertains to a minisplit the issue im pointing out is electrical.
    The original installers must have run short on SOW cord and must have also not had buttsplice connectors or wire nuts or integrity.
    This would still have been a code violation if it was but splice connectors and still violates install "guidelines" set by manufacturers but it would have been a heck of alot safer. There were several other issues but they were mechanical so mayhaps another thread.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Everyone knows that the Fisherman's knot is the correct knot for an electrical splice......
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What idiots there are out there! I thought everybody knew to use reefing knots. Those look like they started out to use coupled bowline knots but didn't manage to get the rabbit Over let alone through the hole.

PHM
    ---------
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I ran across splices like that in a convenience store down in the ghetto ...but it had clear tape like you wrap xmas gifts with

8. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Had my daughter getting the little tidbits of insulatin and tape off the lineset. Also had the couple sections where it went through the roof. Figures that exposed on the roof buried in electrical tape there was yet again a running splice in the power/comm wires...
    The scrap is how my daughter earns some cash. Told her I woul give her 25-50% depending on the haul so she puts in work getting everything sectioned up and cleaned up.

Post Likes
    Wow, that looks as bad as when I wired the new stereo in my first car over a decade ago when I was younger and dumber. A fire waiting to happen.

11. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    IT's high voltage, so you'll need to splice it the same way you'd place any other wire. In an approved enclosure that's accessible.