Thread: Vacuum Pressure Keeps droping when pump is turned off.

Post Likes

Vacuum Pressure Keeps droping when pump is turned off.

I had a leak in my 4 ton split system. The leak was found on a coupler joint. So the service tech pumped down the system and cut out the problem joint and brazed in a new joint. The lineset was pressurized with nitrogen to 150 psi and left sitting for about an hour. Then started vacuum procedure where it took about 45 minutes to pull down to 500 microns. The vacuum valve was closed then the vacuum pump was turned off. After the pump was turned off, the pressure continued to drop until the micron guage read 240 microns. This process took about 8 or 10 minutes. This seemed strange to me, I would have expected the pressure to rise after the pump was turned off. The lineset is about 60 feet long with 3/8 and 1 1/8. Does this delayed reaction sound like a problem to you guys or could it be the length of the lineset that causes this.

Post Likes
    I've been thinking about this since you posted it and I have one question. What micron gauge was he using?

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I've been thinking about this since you posted it and I have one question. What micron gauge was he using?

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    It was a CPS, a big yellow guage.

Post Likes
    They could have been evacuating from one side and when valves off the microns equalized...
    Or their gauge is wonky.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

5. Likes R600a liked this post.