+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving to Oregon...? What's it like working HVAC there?

Post Likes

Moving to Oregon...? What's it like working HVAC there?

Hey everyone..hoping im in the right place posting this here if not, my apologies. Here's what's been racking my brain for a little while now and maybe (hopefully) I can get input on this as it is a major life change.

So, I been wanting to move to Oregon from Boston for manly freedom reasons including nature. I ride dirt bikes and mountain bikes and really tired of riding away from police in the woods every weekend I go out. Actually lately there has been people tying fishing line across the trees and setting pieces of plywood with sheetrock screws hidden to purposefully hurt riders. This isn't even on their property! Im done with this craziness here. And there's much more crazy things here that will take too long to mention. So, I got offered a job in the Union based just south of Eugene working for a well established commercial HVAC company. Im about to take this opportunity but I want to see what some of you have to say.

My main question is how's working in the winter there? It's bone cold chilling in Boston. Average 25 deg. in Jan-Feb. The arthritis doesn't like it.

Anything you wish you had different working in this field in Oregon?

Much appreciated for any input

Post Likes
    I’m in northwest Washington but the climate is similar, maybe a bit more mild up here. Drizzle is a constant challenge in the winter. I think it’s great working in this field up here. I grew up in Maryland and I couldn’t imagine working outdoors in that extreme heat/freezing weather.

3. Likes OvrThinkr129 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So how cold would it get in MD?

Thanks for the reply

Forgot to add: how would you deal with the precipitation on the roof top? Im guessing you bring a easy up on the roof with you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OvrThinkr129 View Post

Thanks for the reply

Forgot to add: how would you deal with the precipitation on the roof top? Im guessing you bring a easy up on the roof with you
    Coming from someone who has lived in the Pacific NW for 43 years. The western valleys are consistently wet from October-March, but not as bad as it's reputation. You still get many breaks of beautiful weather and sunny skies. Most winter days are 40s and 50s, nights in the 30s and 40s. Occasional bouts of weather colder than that, but never prolonged, the ocean sees to that. You want consistently dry and pleasant weather then head to my side of the mountains (central oregon). It gets colder in the winter but it is more of an arid climate. Plus the politics are much better over here. If you think people were jerks in Boston, then Eugene will be the same or worse.

6. Likes Flyin_Okie liked this post.
    Post Likes

Thanks for the reply

Usually just rain gear or a hoodie is enough. I do have a pop up canopy I put up when necessary. I don’t remember exactly how cold winters were in MD, but they’re a lot colder than here.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies..good info. The company I been talking to is Umpqua Sheet Metal..ever hear of them? and also the main man from Umpqua S.M. said the work in Oregon is spread out which makes sense but my question to you guys is how many calls in a day do you guys do on average? Miles in-between jobs?

Post Likes
    Hey everyone..hoping im in the right place posting this here if not, my apologies. Here's what's been racking my brain for a little while now and maybe (hopefully) I can get input on this as it is a major life change.

So, I been wanting to move to Oregon from Boston for manly freedom reasons including nature. I ride dirt bikes and mountain bikes and really tired of riding away from police in the woods every weekend I go out. Actually lately there has been people tying fishing line across the trees and setting pieces of plywood with sheetrock screws hidden to purposefully hurt riders. This isn't even on their property! Im done with this craziness here. And there's much more crazy things here that will take too long to mention. So, I got offered a job in the Union based just south of Eugene working for a well established commercial HVAC company. Im about to take this opportunity but I want to see what some of you have to say.

My main question is how's working in the winter there? It's bone cold chilling in Boston. Average 25 deg. in Jan-Feb. The arthritis doesn't like it.

Anything you wish you had different working in this field in Oregon?

Much appreciated for any input
    Working for this company provides extensive benefit to the customers serving under. In the final analysis, anyone who has a passion for the field of Engineering should establish themselves here. This is the ideal place to start.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in