Thread: Mini Split Drain

Post Likes

Hmm Mini Split Drain

When you install Mini Split systems in new building what do you do with drain. I was thinking about doing the drain in pvc and insulating it or just run it out of flexible hose to the drain. What do you guys do? Do you think it is necessary to insulate drains in interior walls.

Post Likes
    In commercial, we don't do interior walls. Never seen one insulated either. All plastic flex tubing. Until you get to the roof. Smart inspectors will require copper where exposed to the sun, but most don't.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

3. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    When you install Mini Split systems in new building what do you do with drain. I was thinking about doing the drain in pvc and insulating it or just run it out of flexible hose to the drain. What do you guys do? Do you think it is necessary to insulate drains in interior walls.
    You have to run it somewhere so plan ahead. As far as insulating again Plan Ahead!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    In commercial, we don't do interior walls. Never seen one insulated either. All plastic flex tubing. Until you get to the roof. Smart inspectors will require copper where exposed to the sun, but most don't.
    They stopped requiring it when the copper thiefs were running a muck. Now.... they just gave in because they set precedence.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I'm not a fan of running the thin flexible minisplit tubing inside any walls. I figure if years from now a drain clogged and a tech tried blowing an air charge through it than the tubing might blow out. I like using sch 40 pvc for the drains inside the walls an piping it out.

7. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, haig1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I'm not a fan of running the thin flexible minisplit tubing inside any walls. I figure if years from now a drain clogged and a tech tried blowing an air charge through it than the tubing might blow out. I like using sch 40 pvc for the drains inside the walls an piping it out.
    Ya, I always keep a stick of schedule 80, 1/2" pvc in my shop. Why schedule 80? The drain doesn't really push into the thicker walls of the 40. Use that for your connection and glue it real well. Then a 1/2 to 3/4 bushing and you are off to the races. They do make an adapter piece that is rubber that has different sizes to adapt to your drain pipe of choice but rubber to pvc isn't as solid of a connection IMO. My method is mechanically sound and ensures you will not have drain clearing issues in the future.

Post Likes
    I think I'm going to use rough in boxes it has a place to screw on 3/4 pvc pipe.

10. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think I'm going to use rough in boxes it has a place to screw on 3/4 pvc pipe.
    They suck.
    "Life, Liberty, and Levin!"

Post Likes
    We install Carrier mini splits, which come with a light insulation jacket around the drain and surprisingly fits exactly into the belled end of 3/4" PVC. So we just glue the jacket into coupling if we don't need end up using condensate pump.

Post Likes
    What sucks about rough in boxes I have never used one?

14. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What sucks about rough in boxes I have never used one?
    Everything