+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloody boogers in the morning - air quality issue?

Post Likes
    Had the same issue. Went to see a ENT and he said I had a Staph infection and prescribed a anti-bacterial salve to apply to the tissue. Apparently the Staph eats a hole in the thin layer of skin over the cartilage and you get bloody snot and scabs. I got to where I was getting nosebleeds.

One over the counter item you might look at is Ponaris. Get it from amazon. Does help.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    A TVOC level of 1900 is Very high.
    Any reading over 500 is reason for concern. Both LEEDs and the USGBC agree to that standard.
    The reference from Home Air Check you quoted is derived from homes with problems that use Home Air Check services. Kind of like determining a normal blood glucose from folks with diabetes.
    If you call Home Air Check they will concur..

Your TVOC levels are very high.
    Google is your friend please confirm.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by randyf View Post
    A TVOC level of 1900 is Very high.
    Any reading over 500 is reason for concern. Both LEEDs and the USGBC agree to that standard.
    The reference from Home Air Check you quoted is derived from homes with problems that use Home Air Check services. Kind of like determining a normal blood glucose from folks with diabetes.
    If you call Home Air Check they will concur..

Your TVOC levels are very high.
    Google is your friend please confirm.
    You make a great point. Thank you!

Post Likes
    When I was a kid growing up I used to get nose bleeds at the drop of a hat. One time while sitting in church my nose started bleeding. After I moved out on my own, all of that changed. My guess is that it was due to a poor diet. As I started eating a much greater variety of foods after I was out on my own.

Any changes in your diets?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    All the above info is on target for your symptoms. I'd add a Youtube search as well. HTH
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    When I was a kid growing up I used to get nose bleeds at the drop of a hat. One time while sitting in church my nose started bleeding. After I moved out on my own, all of that changed. My guess is that it was due to a poor diet. As I started eating a much greater variety of foods after I was out on my own.

Any changes in your diets?
    Same here. I used to just go outside and let it drip on the ground because I got tired of wasting paper towels.
    Now I almost never get nose bleeds but I eat a lot more meat and just variety in general.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

8. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by greg9840 View Post
    You make a great point. Thank you!
    I you you review the paper work from Home Air Check you will see that levels above 500 are reason of concern. 1700 is high!
    I have the same issue.

Post Likes
    I installed an inline whole home humidifier in my HVAC and that solved my issue. It was an Aprilaire.

Post Likes
    What? The mods removed the snot rocket vid? Jeez, been so busy lately, didn't have time to watch it when first posted. Went back to find it, and it's no longer there; Jeez, what's this world coming to?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    The other guys gave you some ideas on the IAQ side of it. I'll address the medical side.

You both should see your MD. Describe the situation and bleeding issues. He may want to do some blood tests: CBC or Complete Blood Count. This measures your hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets, WBC's RBC's, etc., which can give a picture of significant blood loss, infection, clotting disorders, etc.

Next might be a PT or protime and PTT or Partial Thromboplastin Time. These are clotting studies. If either of you are on warfarin anticoagulant, they'll probably do a INR or International Normalized Ratio.

The last major set would be liver enzymes: AST or aspartate aminotransferase (formerly SGOT) and ALT or alanine aminotransferase. The liver is a key component to clotting as it's the laboratory of the body. Bleeding disorders often herald an insult to the liver.

Last, I would discuss with your wife other symptoms such as bruising (ecchymosis), redness (erythema) or swelling( edema) in the lower legs, painful hot lower legs (DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis), shortness of breath (dyspnea), unusual coughing, coughing up bloody sputum (hemoptysis), little round red spots (cherry angiomas), yellowing of the whites of the eyes (icterus) or whole body (jaundice), irregular heartbeats (dysrhythmias), distention of the external jugular veins while upright (JVD), confusion, mini-strokes (TIA's or Transient Ischemic Attacks), black tarry stools (melena) or bright red blood in stools (hematochezia), bloody vomit(hematemesis), bloody ruptured vessels in the white (sclera) of your eyes ( subconjunctival hemorrhage), or blood in your urine (hematuria) whether visible or microscopic meaning detected by urine dipsticks or lab test (U/A or urinalysis). Do either of you take anticoagulants or suffer from bleeding easily? Have a vitamin K deficiency? Unusual joint pain (arthralgia). Does your wife report unusually heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhea)? [don't tell us].

Try to note any changes to your diet or lifestyle. Have you both been taking a lot of acetaminophen (Tylenol) lately, such as due to allergy season? Use aspirin (ASA or acetylsalicylic acid), Been on certain very strong antibiotics such as Rifampin/ INH for tuberculosis and similar really nasty infections, choramphenicol (Chloromycetin)? Have you both recently been out of the country? Been swimming in "fresh waters" of Third World Countries? (hint: DON'T!). Increased intake of ETOH (booze)? Mother in Law moved in? Ok, I made that one up.

This is a short list but your doctor would probably have a lot more.

Or, you can get the IAQ under control with ventilation, filtration, and humidification control. Regardless, take care of your liver.
    HTH,

13. Likes R600a, trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mereisdefrosto View Post
    Please use line breaks and paragraphs. That wall of text was hard to read.
    What wall of text? The previous post was perfectly constructed.

Your posts look like spam to me.

Are you just randomly using cut and paste to reply to posts to get your count up?
    You did cut and paste from one of my posts on another thread about 'dust from a ductless system' or something similar.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    What wall of text? The previous post was perfectly constructed.

Your posts look like spam to me.

Are you just randomly using cut and paste to reply to posts to get your count up?
    You did cut and paste from one of my posts on another thread about 'dust from a ductless system' or something similar.
    It appears a spammer has been removed. That was the reason for my post #31.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in