Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazing Practice Rods

Post Likes

Brazing Practice Rods

I just purchased a quarter pound of Harris 15% silver rods. I couldn't afford a pound....

What type of rods can I use to practice brazing with a acetylene Turbo Torch and #5 tip? How do I keep practice brazing cost down?

Joe

Post Likes
    Try 5% or 0%. It isn't as good but it is a bit harder to use so you will get even better.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

3. Likes dieseldude, VTP99, CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Try 5% or 0%. It isn't as good but it is a bit harder to use so you will get even better.

X2

Post Likes
    Check out harris blockade! Silver free so it’s inexpensive but don’t let that fool you. It’s high quality and engineered to perfection like most harris products.

I really like it a lot! It flows well and is great on brass (with flux of course). I make a lot of really unusual fittings and I’ve been complimented a lot on the quality and “perfectness” of the brazes done with blockade. It just flows really nicely.

My company buys my 15% so that’s mostly what I use in the field.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

6. Likes VTP99, BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Check out harris blockade! Silver free so it’s inexpensive but don’t let that fool you. It’s high quality and engineered to perfection like most harris products.

I really like it a lot! It flows well and is great on brass (with flux of course). I make a lot of really unusual fittings and I’ve been complimented a lot on the quality and “perfectness” of the brazes done with blockade. It just flows really nicely.

My company buys my 15% so that’s mostly what I use in the field.
    Is that actually a braze? I thought it was just a solder. I'm going to have to buy some to try out now. I will say I love stay bright 8.

Post Likes
    Is that actually a braze? I thought it was just a solder. I'm going to have to buy some to try out now. I will say I love stay bright 8.

Yes it is! It’s got a slightly lower melting point and is more fluid than 15%. Give me a minute and I will post pictures of how awesomely it turns out on pretty difficult to do brazes. When you use it for the first time you will see what I mean.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

11. Likes VTP99, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes

Okay pictures are great but what are all of those?

13. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Here is the testing information posted by harris

https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/...ockadeSpec.pdf

This is another reason I am such a fan of harris products. They post information that is scientifically relevant rather than posting a bunch of marketing bull shit.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

Brazing Practice Rods

Okay pictures are great but what are all of those?

Starting at top and going clockwise...

That is a hose I made for getting my probes and stubbies into tight places. I tested it to 800 psi and no leaks lol. I brazed it into a 45. The ends are from a tube of leak seal.

That tee is so that you can attach a probe/stubby and then have another port for a hose to charge with. Again the swivel end is off a leak seal tube.

The core depressor is a 5/16 for mini spits. Often there’s no room for an appion so depressing the core is best for vacuum and also keeps fingers frost free. Stupid thing was leaking from the factory so I had to lay that braze you see over the base of the port.

The last one is a can tap. For some reason those stupid can taps always have acme threads on them. I cut that off and brazed on a 1/4 flare. Sometimes people have cans of 134a they want me to put in their car so that works well for that.

In each case you’ll notice the braze flows like a solder and isn’t clumpy like 15%. It may not cover holes as well as 15% but if you have normal to slightly lose joint clearance I have always found it fills just fine.

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Many years ago I was on a job where we used Blockade. Four inch copper with brass flanges; essentially for a di-electric union. The first and only time I used the stuff. Worked great, just like Silphos, but I don't remember using any flux.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

19. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Many years ago I was on a job where we used Blockade. Four inch copper with brass flanges; essentially for a di-electric union. The first and only time I used the stuff. Worked great, just like Silphos, but I don't remember using any flux.
    Awesome glad to hear you liked it as well!

It’s self fluxing on copper and will kinda flow on brass without flux but technically it does need flux for brass just like other brazes. It flows across the brass much better that way.

Post Likes
    That was a lot of beers ago, memory might not remember using the flux any more, LOL

Awesome glad to hear you liked it as well!

It’s self fluxing on copper and will kinda flow on brass without flux but technically it does need flux for brass just like other brazes. It flows across the brass much better that way.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

22. Likes JayMan7, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes it is! It’s got a slightly lower melting point and is more fluid than 15%. Give me a minute and I will post pictures of how awesomely it turns out on pretty difficult to do brazes. When you use it for the first time you will see what I mean.
    I’ve never heard of that, be good video for your channel, I would like to see ya make one using it and stuff.

24. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I do like access to the data sheet...now the hunt goes on for Harris Blockade.

Thanks all. I appreciate your time and replying to my most likely redundant new user.

Joe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alamosixx View Post
    I do like access to the data sheet...now the hunt goes on for Harris Blockade.

Thanks all. I appreciate your time and replying to my most likely redundant new user.

Joe
    My local Win-supply has it.

Post Likes
    I have located a supply house closer to one I used to have when working in the Port Richmond Area of Philadelphia. I also had a great welding supply with everything one needs...

However, should I take my EIN and open a business account with my LLC? I set the business name up two years ago waiting for a time to use it. I think I will just request a cash account unless I can get a discount with a credit account. What are your thoughts on setting up an account when your not on someone elses payroll? What would it take to get discount pricing at the supply house? Are we talking about purchasing $ to $$$ on a monthly basis?

I plan on introducing my self this upcoming week to the supply house. Joe

Post Likes
    I found that once they get to know you is the time to set up an account. My locke gives me pricing that matches my boss even though I don't spend $100 a month on my own. They treat me well but I am in there all the time for my job and they know I will be going out on my own so they want my business.
    Then for appliance parts I just told him he would be seeing me a lot and after a month of me coming in several times a week he started giving me contractor pricing without me even having to get around to asking.

29. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So I will make a list and buy consumables for now. I take my time and give the counter others if it gets busy. I will keep my info to buying a few things and try to get into the supply one every two weeks or so. After that I will wait for them to ask my business details. I just make it all cash purposes. Thanks for the info.

Will my local supply shop also provide acetylene and nitrogen as a good price or should I find a local gas supplier?

Joe

Post Likes
    My supply house charges half the price the gas supplier charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast