Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brazing Practice Rods

Post Likes
    Harris 0®
    Description: Silver PhosCopper Brazing Alloy
    This low cost alloy is suitable for most copper-to-copper or brass joints where close tolerance can be maintained.

This is used by some of the mfg's for cu & brass (with flux) joints. Recommend repairs be made with 15%.
    Not as ductile and more liquidous than 15%.

Post Likes
    That blockade looks awesome, can't believe I haven't come across it before. What flux do you use with it? Can you braze brass-to-brass or just copper-to-brass?

Post Likes

Brazing Practice Rods

Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    That blockade looks awesome, can't believe I haven't come across it before. What flux do you use with it? Can you braze brass-to-brass or just copper-to-brass?
    Just the normal white paste brazing flux. I use harris brand but probably any brand would work fine. The phosphorus in blockade makes it self fluxing on copper to copper joint so no flux needed. FYI the black flux is for ferrous metals since brazing temperatures are higher.

Yes any combination of brass and copper joint is fine. All of the brazes I posted pictures of are brass to brass. Don’t use blockade on any ferrous metal since it will make a brittle braze joint due to the phosphorus in it.

PS if I remember correctly blockade is also sold with a flux coating. I don’t recommend any brazing rod with a flux coating. It’s a very poor way to apply flux and you will end up with a lot of waste.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I found a pound, 20 sticks of Blockade on fleabay...$32 with a can of flux. Much cheaper than 15% brazing rods. Now I need to fill up my tanks with nitrogen and acetylene and melt some metal.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    uhhh, why are you paying for it again? i would think that your boss would be ok with you practicing on your own to get better...it is either that or you are practicing while he is paying you...either way, he pays for the material and the gas.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12