Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Seeking opinions on recent install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes

    Seeking opinions on recent install

    Hi all,

    I submitted this question earlier but it looks like it didn't get posted because it doesn't show under my account. I think it may have been rejected because I accidentally turned my VPN back on before I posted. So trying again with the VPN definitely turned off. Sorry for that.

    We had a new system installed recently. The old system was a goodman from I think 2006 and the new replacement system is also goodman. I would like your opinions on how they installed it. The old one sat on the shelf and had a piece connecting it to the section that comes out of the wall by the ceiling. For the new one they mounted it up real high on the wall and connected it directly to that piece that comes out of the wall.

    It looks like they cut into the piece at the top and manipulated it to fit. I'm not sure how well it's actually connected though. It may be fine but I can't really tell. There was a slight air leak at one of the corners but they came back and sealed it up better. That seems to have stopped the leak from what I can tell. I asked them why this one was mounted so high on the wall and they said if I want it installed like the old one they would have to custom order a piece to fit it.

    Does this look or sound correct to you? Are there any negatives with the way they installed this?

    Thanks for you opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,869
    Post Likes
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

    Thinking a lot of turbulence where that short vertical piece ( plenum ) is attached to the Air Handler.

    Looks like the AWUF Goodman Air Handler

    Hopefully you registered the indoor and outdoor unit, as manufacturers warranty decreases if system never got registered.

    Outdoor unit should have a 10/10/2 manufacturers warranty. Compressor, parts, coil and if Copeland compressor ever fails within the 1st two years ( to register original owner occupied residential ) you get a new outdoor unit.

    The AWUF has a 10 year parts and coil warranty once registered to original owner occupied residential home.

    Did they install a field install drier outside by the unit, as one is not needed, as Goodman puts a drier inside the unit at the factory.

    If you have electric heat installed, there usually is a temperature rise across the heater elements to not exceed, also static pressures. May want to have those checked to manufacturers specifications
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-06-2021 at 08:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Thinking a lot of turbulence where that short vertical piece ( plenum ) is attached to the Air Handler.

    Looks like the AWUF Goodman Air Handler

    Hopefully you registered the indoor and outdoor unit, as manufacturers warranty decreases if system never got registered.

    Outdoor unit should have a 10/10/2 manufacturers warranty. Compressor, parts, coil and if Copeland compressor ever fails within the 1st two years ( to register original owner occupied residential ) you get a new outdoor unit.

    The AWUF has a 10 year parts and coil warranty once registered to original owner occupied residential home.

    Did they install a field install drier outside by the unit, as one is not needed, as Goodman puts a drier inside the unit at the factory.

    If you have electric heat installed, there usually is a temperature rise across the heater elements to not exceed, also static pressures. May want to have those checked to manufacturers specifications
    Thank you so much for the info! So if we get a static pressure test would that tell if there is too much turbulence? There is electric heat and I turned it on briefly just to make sure it works but didn't have it on for long.

    I'm not sure if they installed an additional drier or not. I'm going to have to check on that. If they did would that be an issue?

    They are supposed to register the units for us for the extended warranty. I'm not sure if they have done so yet or not. I will check on that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    8,869
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamstruck View Post
    Thank you so much for the info! So if we get a static pressure test would that tell if there is too much turbulence? There is electric heat and I turned it on briefly just to make sure it works but didn't have it on for long.

    I'm not sure if they installed an additional drier or not. I'm going to have to check on that. If they did would that be an issue?

    They are supposed to register the units for us for the extended warranty. I'm not sure if they have done so yet or not. I will check on that.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uUKjotOFwceE-b

    Install guide of the AWUF, page 7 discusses static and CFM. Not sure how they check static with a open return thou. Did not find any info about temperature rise min/max. On the heater element. I know with furnaces they typically list those numbers, across the HX.

    Being mount low ( the coil ) there is a good amount of vertical rise before it turns, the heater element on the other hand is mounted quite high near the top of the opening of the Air Handler. Those heater elements are protected by one time fusible links and resettable snap acting limit switches. Make sure to change air filter as needed, as you don’t want to trip the onetime fusible link on the heater, as those are not resettable. They don’t call them one time for nothing.

    You can check yourself for the manufacturers warranty. I would not automatically assume things got registered, easily can fall through the cracks. If you have a extended labor warranty from Goodman ( called Asure ) I would get proof from them you do indeed have that plan. A typical extended labor warranty from Goodman ( extended labor warranty ) is either 5 or 10 years. If the Contractor is backing there own extended labor plan, those are fine as long as the Contractor stays in business.

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rXekNqLQUUgIov

    Easy enough to see if they installed a field drier, is just look at the complete liquid line. If outdoor unit is easily accessible. Will it hurt the system? No not really but in IMO not needed as there is one already in the system.

    https://www.ecomfort.com/products-im...s_112417__.jpg

    Both sections need to be registered. Now if you reside in California or Quebec registration is not registered to receive the manufacturers maximum warranty.

    As you can see the heating element is mounted very high. Just food for thought, if you have issues with your heating element not working down the road.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Install guide of the AWUF, page 7 discusses static and CFM. Not sure how they check static with a open return thou. Did not find any info about temperature rise min/max. On the heater element. I know with furnaces they typically list those numbers, across the HX.

    Being mount low ( the coil ) there is a good amount of vertical rise before it turns, the heater element on the other hand is mounted quite high near the top of the opening of the Air Handler. Those heater elements are protected by one time fusible links and resettable snap acting limit switches. Make sure to change air filter as needed, as you don’t want to trip the onetime fusible link on the heater, as those are not resettable. They don’t call them one time for nothing.

    You can check yourself for the manufacturers warranty. I would not automatically assume things got registered, easily can fall through the cracks. If you have a extended labor warranty from Goodman ( called Asure ) I would get proof from them you do indeed have that plan. A typical extended labor warranty from Goodman ( extended labor warranty ) is either 5 or 10 years. If the Contractor is backing there own extended labor plan, those are fine as long as the Contractor stays in business.

    Easy enough to see if they installed a field drier, is just look at the complete liquid line. If outdoor unit is easily accessible. Will it hurt the system? No not really but in IMO not needed as there is one already in the system.

    Both sections need to be registered. Now if you reside in California or Quebec registration is not registered to receive the manufacturers maximum warranty.

    As you can see the heating element is mounted very high. Just food for thought, if you have issues with your heating element not working down the road.
    Thanks again for all the info! It's very helpful.

  6. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •