Thread: Siemens Desigo text-based report exports?

Post Likes

Siemens Desigo text-based report exports?

I have done a series of reports in Insight that allowed me to streamline the integrations - I could get an outline that I could take home with me from the reports.
    Is it possible to do this in Desigo? I am looking around and I am not seeing it immediately.
    I have a site that will be going into 8 JACEs. There is some Modbus, Some BacNet, other stuff. I wanted to get a device count, MACs, points maybe. Also Knowing something about the Modbus devices - what they have mapped for points and how would be very helpful.
    I have remote access to a desigo site so I can test these out. Just looking for a nudge in the right direction - or to know that it is not possible before I go head vs wall for 40 minutes trying to make it go.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Long story short, if it's not Desigo 4.2 or newer you are wasting your time. Prior to that, it was expected that Datamate Advanced or Insight was supposed to be installed for things like that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    So if the site has Datamate Advanced or Insight on it, I can get these reports from there. If I am understanding correctly it is sites at 4.2 and older that need this. Sites 4.3 and newer will have this text based report functionality in them somewhere...
    I am logged in remotely to a Siemens site, and I am looking for Help > About to check the software rev they have installed there. How do I get that?
    Also this site I have remote connectivity to does not have Database Advanced there. I understand the Desigo License should cover it though. Is there a way to get the file for installation? Since it does not work without a license it seems harmless enough to pass around.... but I could be wrong.

Post Likes
    If you can find it, it will work. It is absolutely a controlled program though. It has the exact same EULA as Insight.

Post Likes
    Does DatamateAdvanced have a similar workflow as Insight? As in, if I had done reports with Insight, would a moderately intelligent individual with familiarity be able to pull reports?

Post Likes
    Yes it does. It's Insight on steroids, but with no graphics, or commander.

Post Likes
    Aright, I may pass along a few things to the local guys I made in Insight and see if they can make heads or tails of it on the local system. I do not know if they have Insight or Datamate Base locally. We will see.
    Thanks for responding!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I am logged in remotely to a Siemens site, and I am looking for Help > About to check the software rev they have installed there. How do I get that?
    since you seem handy and talkative.... any ideas on checking the software rev?
    So annoying it is not just obvious... but if it were easy we would not make so much money eh?

Post Likes
    Go to the upper right drop down and select about page

Post Likes
    Datamate Advanced (DMA) is basically a clone of Insight, or a clone of CommTool, or...whichever way it goes.
    It's all the same deal, but they modify it slightly for who the end user is.

They all use the same menu bar at the top and share things like System Profile, Program Editor, Point Editor, reports, etc.

DMA, which pretty much did not exist on Insight front-ends as far as I know (obviously because it would just be redundant) is basically required on "older" Desigo sites. And "older" refers to anything before like 3 months ago. I'd actually never heard of it before visiting Desigo sites, but apparently it has been around a while. Just part of that 'forcing a new platform down your throat' that was half-baked and missing so many essential features that they had to make you keep using the Insight platform to do simple stuff!

Another one of those head-scratchers.
    "We're forcing you to abandon Insight, because Microsoft no longer supports the module Insight uses, therefore we can no longer support it. So you must install this new platform...that is missing key features, so you have to use, in parallel, this re-named version of Insight to do the basic stuff you're used to."

So you boot that up just like Insight or CommTool pretty much. Then you can go to the Report Viewer thing and do what you need.

To find out what version of Desigo you're running, look around the top right corner of the screen for one of the drop downs that says About.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses!
    Looks like I need a copy of DatamateAdvanced from a friendly Htalker. I know the license limits where and when I can use it, but since this is a Desigo site, the license is already there. The guys who did the migration just failed to install it.
    Maybe the install file is lurking on the HDD and it is just not showing up in the start menu. I know there is noting called 'DatamateAdvanced' on the hard drive. Is it maybe called something else?. Then I can find the install file and execute it myself.

Post Likes
    Look for dma or job editor

13. Likes stomachbuzz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses!
    Looks like I need a copy of DatamateAdvanced from a friendly Htalker. I know the license limits where and when I can use it, but since this is a Desigo site, the license is already there. The guys who did the migration just failed to install it.
    Maybe the install file is lurking on the HDD and it is just not showing up in the start menu. I know there is noting called 'DatamateAdvanced' on the hard drive. Is it maybe called something else?. Then I can find the install file and execute it myself.
    I was told when we migrated from Insight to Desigo CC was that Datamate couldn't live on the same machine as Desigo. We had to spin up a separate VM to run Datamate. I never messed with Datamate when I worked for Siemens so I took the tech's word at the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDeal View Post
    I was told when we migrated from Insight to Desigo CC was that Datamate couldn't live on the same machine as Desigo. We had to spin up a separate VM to run Datamate. I never messed with Datamate when I worked for Siemens so I took the tech's word at the time.
    Incorrect, both can be on the same machine. You just need a 2nd AEM if you have P2 BLNs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    Incorrect, both can be on the same machine. You just need a 2nd AEM if you have P2 BLNs

An AEM for Bacnet, and one for P2? Is that the idea?

Post Likes
    Nope, only one management station can use the ports of an AEM. So if you want both DMA and DCC connected at the same time you need 2.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDeal View Post
    I've seen Desigo and DMA on the same machine many times.
    But maybe this was some go-around for the whole "2 AEM" thing stated below....
    AEM stands for APOGEE Ethernet Microserver and converts Siemens' P2 to Ethernet. This is no compute with BACnet.
    Nope, only one management station can use the ports of an AEM. So if you want both DMA and DCC connected at the same time you need 2.
    Oh jeez. It just gets crazier and crazier. Gotta love it!

Post Likes
    Not sure why you think it's crazier. Desigo CC and Datamate Advanced bind the ports they use to the application. Most applications do this. So if one application binds that particular port on an IP, you then would have to use another port on that IP or have a completely separate IP to use the same port. In the case of P2 AEM, the only port you can use for field panel comms is 3002 so you have to have a second AEM and secondary IP. Just about every Industrial application does this on PCs and it's as old as networking.

What's hilarious is customers thinking their 20+ year old equipment should work with current applications. Let me know how long you can use your iPhone or Android applications until you have to update them. Then let me know how many years you can get before they force you into a new phone. These management stations save customers thousands if not millions by not having to hire dozens of workers and manage their energy savings. Then they whine and cry when they have to invest a portion of it every 20 years to upgrade.

Post Likes
    What's hilarious is customers thinking their 20+ year old equipment should work with current applications.
    Amen to that!
    I had a fun conversation with a government's IT department when trying to sort out their networking, vLAN, and other issues. They were getting a little grumpy that it was taking so much labor charges to get things to talk. I finally showed them the Win95 logo on the ARCnet Johnson server, and explained there is no DHCP field on the IP devices because it is not supported... it is that old. Trying to make the 25yr old IP stack work is a crap shoot at best.
    In 2 weeks we had a request for a proposal to (notice the quotes) "get all that Johnson crap out of our buildings^
    It was too notch 25 years ago. But now?? Well put MPeterson21