Thread: Rental property

Post Likes

Rental property

On a trip to Philadelphia, I was asked to look at the HVAC on behalf of the tenant.
    The landlady gave me the permission and told me the filter was recently changed.
    Upon opening the blower door, I found a 14x24 filter lying at the bottom.
    It would take a 16x25 to cover the cutout. But then there is no retainer to keep the filter from being sucked toward the blower.

The system is a 3 years old Bryant, 3 ton AC, with 100k Btu gas furnace. The townhouse is about 1200sqft, built around 1960. I understand the insulation is not that great. But still 100k Btu heat?

Suggested little sheet metal work for a filter retainer, and replacement of the old smoke detector with a CO/smoke detector. Her response was "I'll talk to my handyman about it"
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Are you sure you're not in oklahoma?
    Around here most people just throw a couple of bricks on top of the filter to hold it in place.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

3. Likes UltraCool, ksefan, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    haha

Post Likes
    Yeah probably only need 40k btu's. But a heat loss would tell the tale. I'm sure the last one was that size, so that's what they got. Bigger is better, right? LOL
    Someone would have to rig up something to hold the filter. Obviously a filter cabinet would've solved that problem.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

6. Likes R600a, UltraCool liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's probably the third furnace. First one was a 50K - which was too big. Next one was a 75K - so you'll have plenty of heat. This one is 100K - so you'll have a little extra to keep you warm this winter.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Yeah probably only need 40k btu's. But a heat loss would tell the tale. I'm sure the last one was that size, so that's what they got. Bigger is better, right? LOL
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

8. Likes R600a, UltraCool, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    That's probably the third furnace. First one was a 50K - which was too big. Next one was a 75K - so you'll have plenty of heat. This one is 100K - so you'll have a little extra to keep you warm this winter.

PHM
    ----------
    Your giving away all my secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes R600a liked this post.