Thread: wall/window washing still a thing?

Post Likes

wall/window washing still a thing?

been working on my house a long time now, i am in need of some vents. ive gone through a summer and winter season now without any. so im looking for some advice (all supplies are in the ceiling and all the same size 8x8).

wondering if i should be getting 3 way and not worry about directing it at the window/wall and more into the room or 3 way and directing them towards the exterior or 4 way and try to hit everything. i will be getting the better vents with the adjustable curved blades.

i work new construction plumbing and i look at the way different builders do and theyre all different. seems like most just throw the cheapest most available vent on and done

trying to give as much info as i can to help get an answer... the vents are a good 1-1.5' off the exterior walls which i read is more proper for wall washing rather them being a few inches off the wall

the rooms im referring to are

bathroom 10x8 vent is above window
    living room 12x12 this is where the sliding glass door is on the other side of the room there is a window which is where another vent is
    hallway which one side is an outside wall with a window
    kitchen which is the biggest room 18x12 and the only vent thats next to a window is above the kitchen sink (i understand theres a window there but seems like bad placement from a ceiling supply)

i cant figure out how to balance the air to make it most comfortable like a pro would. i am probably completely over thinking this but if theres one thing i hate the most is getting blasted in the face with hot air in the winter. cold air in the summer fine lol and if it can help be more efficient ill take it

so any advice i would appreciate thank you

also im willing to get a manual t done. i have a manual J and D done but the company i used didnt offer the T. so if you could direct me to a site that can do a manual t for me id be happy with that too

Post Likes
    Manual "J" should suffice but, Your contractor should point you in the right direction!

Post Likes
    I was the contractor lol. They installed a 3 ton system in a 1500 sqft house and their main trunk was maybe 4’ long with tons of flex. I wasn’t going to replace the system it was only a year old. So I got a manual d and j done and re did the entire ductwork. It’s a LOT better now just want to direct the air where it’s going to be the most efficient and comfortable.

I actually called in 2 contractors and they didn’t want to touch it and said to put mini splits in 👍

Post Likes
    ok i talked to the company that did the manual J and D for me they said the manual T was " automatically part of the manual D report"

i thought a manual T told you how to properly distribute the airflow...what way to face to registers and if they should be 1 way 2 way 3 way or 4 way

for those types of questions they told me i should contact the supply register manufacture. i doubt theyll have those answers

anyway i just want to know if its beneficial to face the supplies towards a exterior wall or window. ive been trying to find the answer but everything i read is mixed and seems like it may depend on the actual house and design itself.

Post Likes
    I was hoping someone with more experience would answer but here is my understanding.
    Basically with little or no insulation, single pane windows and lots of air leaks it was extremely important where you put the air yo address the heat as it came in.
    Now with much less air leaks, good windows and decent insulation it doesn't matter nearly as much.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Manual T does select the registers and type of register.

Even with good windows. Washing the outside walls counts. Helps prevent you from feeling the radiant effect of losing body heat to the walls and window in winter. And the heat gain in summer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

7. Likes R600a liked this post.