Thread: Humidity problems in 2nd/3rd story

Post Likes

Humidity problems in 2nd/3rd story

Hello everyone,

I have a three story home with humidity problems on the second/third story. I have 2 hvacs, one for the bottom floor and one for the second/third story (yes they are oversized). I bought it and didn't realize these problems. Is it possible to fix the third story problem by replacing the hvac with a higher end hvac and zoning?

I know that having a hvac for every floor is ideal, but i'm looking at serious $$$ to replace two hvacs due to being oversized and remodeling.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Due to the sizing of my home, I can't place dehumidifier due to the layout of the home.

Thanks,

J

Post Likes
    You cant add a properly sized Ultra Aire dehumidifier to the existing HVAC unit duct work?

( zoning will only make the problem worse)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    You cant add a properly sized Ultra Aire dehumidifier to the existing HVAC unit duct work?

( zoning will only make the problem worse)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately no, it is a small space where the air handler is. Also, I purchased a google nest to see the temperature differences. It is currently set to 74 on my thermostat which is on the second floor, but I got it regulating to the third story temperature instead of where the thermostat. This has lowered my humidity drastically. HOWEVER, it is 74 degrees on the third story and 66 on the second floor. This is quite frustrating as a homeowner.

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It may be possible to zone it. Depends how the trunk line is ran.

Post Likes
    First, Nest sucks. I refuse to use them.

With that out of the way, I suggest downsizing the upstairs system, even going a little smaller than the load calculation might suggest. You want that system to run long cycles, not cycle off and on as oversized equipment does. It can only dehumidify when it is running. Also consider that the design load is for 1% of the year only, so the remainder of the time it is oversized for the reduced load. You'll feel better at 78° with 50% RH than you will at 72° with 70% RH.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Overcooled areas require less cold air. Close the supplies to the cold areas for starters. Less air flow also decreases air flow which increase dehumidification. Insulate the warm areas behind the drywall with foam board of spray foam. Put reflective blinds on warm areas windows.

That is the start.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in