Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Help Calculating Hourly Watt Usage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes

    Help Calculating Hourly Watt Usage

    How do I go about calculating the *estimated* watts this combo would burn running for an hour straight in air conditioning mode?

    4A7A4030L1000A American Standard Silver 14 2.5 ton
    S8B1B060M3PSABA American Standard blower/furnace

    Thanks,
    HIT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Likes
    Depends. Power usage varies with load; indoor and outdoor temperatures can affect the actual wattage the compressor, airflow settings and static pressure can affect the wattage of the blower motor. A 2.5-ton air conditioner like that might use 1,900 watts on 240 VAC, the furnace blower might use 250 watts.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

  3. Likes R600a liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,894
    Post Likes
    For every 2* increase in outdoor temperature and every 2* increase in indoor temperature your energy usage cane go up 5% depending on R H !

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,854
    Post Likes
    Ball park would be to use RLA's for both units and convert to kilowatts.
    Find your local energy company rate per kilowatt.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,894
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    For every 2* increase in outdoor temperature and every 2* increase in indoor temperature your energy usage cane go up 5% depending on R H !
    That should be 2* Decrease in indoor!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,854
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That should be 2* Decrease in indoor!
    Well make up your mind already 😆

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,894
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Well make up your mind already ��
    Im Old Damnit!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,854
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Im Old Damnit!
    Trust me I'm right at your heels !
    Ironically your avatar looks so young 🤔

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,894
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Trust me I'm right at your heels !
    Ironically your avatar looks so young ��
    https://youtu.be/DDWKuo3gXMQ


  11. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    32,894
    Post Likes

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Depends. Power usage varies with load; indoor and outdoor temperatures can affect the actual wattage the compressor, airflow settings and static pressure can affect the wattage of the blower motor. A 2.5-ton air conditioner like that might use 1,900 watts on 240 VAC, the furnace blower might use 250 watts.
    Thanks. I understand the power draw will vary on conditions. I have two of these so I'm looking at ~4500 watts when both systems are running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •