+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robinair 34788 - vacuum pump?

Post Likes

Question Robinair 34788 - vacuum pump?

Hello, in doing a search I saw some other Robinair questions here so thought I would try mine.

Machine has a few issues that were intermittent but are now constant:

>recover never ends on its own, have to end manually

>when performing vacuum makes loud loud noise

>no longer able to inject oil, always says "pressure too high to inject oil"

The last one has cause us to have to sideline this machine, oil is rather important

Are all these related to the vacuum pump? Is there a way to diagnose to be sure and not just throw parts at it?

Purchased in 2011 so I assume all warranty expired, allowing us to replace on our own? Looks like it is a common issue on this family of machines...

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I don't know anything about that myself but I just thought I'd point out for anybody who tries to answer your question that is an automotive machine.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes Zamoramax, Roont liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I don't know anything about that myself but I just thought I'd point out for anybody who tries to answer your question that is an automotive machine.

Good point, I will add to original post, thanks for pointing that out

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Now just to clarify does this unit use a regular vacuum pump?
    I'm not familiar with automotive equipment but if it uses a regular vacuum pump you should be changing the oil regularly and it's likely that even changing the oil regularly it is a bit gunked up and you need to take the front cover of the pump off and clean it and then flush a little bit of vacuum pump oil into the intake of the pump while it is running very slowly so you don't damage something and that will help blow any gunk out of the internals of the pump. Definitely look up the manual for that particular vacuum pump itself and there should be some instructions for cleaning and things like that. Personally I use JB industries vacuum pumps so I know their process but I'm sure that robinair would have some information available too.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Yes, I change the vacuum oil every few uses as it was recommended to do so when buying it. I have never opened it up to see what is in there as there are so many nasty stickers about not doing so, but I believe I am safely out of any warranty. I will open it up and see what is going on with the pump tonight

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roont View Post
    Yes, I change the vacuum oil every few uses as it was recommended to do so when buying it. I have never opened it up to see what is in there as there are so many nasty stickers about not doing so, but I believe I am safely out of any warranty. I will open it up and see what is going on with the pump tonight
    I was going to ask if you could post a picture of the vacuum pump but it was only three posts you won't be able to. Feel free to email me a picture. My email is in my profile.
    Also if there is a data plate on the vacuum pump itself that might be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in