Thread: Costs regarding Condensor Fan Motor Replacement

Post Likes

Question Costs regarding Condensor Fan Motor Replacement

Hi. We recently had to have the capacitor and fan motor replaced in our Goodman outdoor HVAC unit. We have a service contract with a good company here in Atlanta, but I was surprised at what they charged me to replace the condensor fan motor. When I researched costs online, prices ranged from $xxx to $xxx for the part and installation. My cost was $xxx just for the condensor fan motor and installation, not including the capacitor. What I want to know from the community is if you think this is an exceptionally high charge for that. I've contacted the company and their comment is that they stand behind their work and that they hire the best in the industry and pay them good wages for quality work. I am in nooooo way trying to be cheap here, just want to know if this charge is reasonable. Your comments are welcome.
    Last edited by vin lashon; 05-06-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Removed prices

Post Likes
    Sorry but you are asking a question with no answer. There are just too many variables to deal with. First is the cost of the part, they can vary widely depending on a multiple of factors like type. bearing, mounting, RPM, to name a few. Then there are geographic costs. The price of things in this area may be quite different than your area, higher or lower so just because I buy a specific part for $X here does not mean that is the price it for it there. There are also company overhead to consider. One company may run out of a garage while the other has office staff and a larger staff to better handle your needs. Higher overhead means higher selling price to cover that cost. And one of the last things is time. Some companies run flat rate so the amount of time is not much of an issue but is made up in the FR price or it may be time and material where if everything comes apart hard it just takes longer which adds to the price.

The bottom line is it really does not matter what the "net" says, if they did a good job, the system worked well when they were done, the stand behind their work, and you are happy with what they did for you barring the price be happy. From posts I see on here from home owners, they will spend a large amount on a repair, can't get the company back, the system still doesn't work right, company 2 charges them for their work and they still have problems that company 2 can't seem to fix, company 3 comes in and fixes the problem caused by Co 1 the Co 2 couldn't find and by now they have spent enough they are half way to a new unit and been suffering most of the season (heat/cool). One line you will see on this site by multiple posters is "if they did a good job and stand behind their work pay them and hang on to them, they are worth it".

3. Likes Mr Bill, Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Original registered owner, and unit is less than 10 years old? If so motor and capacitor under warranty, labor chargeable. What type of service contract do you have, just the basic yearly PM check?

What’s the manufacturer warranty on the motor?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback

Post Likes
    Hi. No I’m not the original owner and unit is out of warranty. Thanks for your reply

Post Likes
    You might be lucky they didn't tell you the condenser needs replaced.
    That happens a lot believe it or not.

Post Likes
    Prices removed from OP.

Post Likes
    Don’t forget your paying for parts, labor, and most of all the knowledge that takes years to acquire and often school.