+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good radio for the shop/garage

Post Likes

Good radio for the shop/garage

I currently have a couple milwaukee jobsite radios, but honestly they are not great.

When they are all alone and not near anything they work fine, but charging batteries near them within 10 ft and they get static. Some lighting also a problem.

But biggest of all is an inverter driven welder.

So... does anything that will actually pull in a radio station function under those conditions?

No - Im not looking to link something to my phone or what have you. Something stand alone.

Possibly a Amazon Eco or something like that may work, if they will work under the above conditions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I like car radios because they are tough and built to handle interference. They can be built in to a cabinet or something. Just put up a decent antenna and run it off a cheap mower battery with a cheap battery maintainer to keep the voltage up.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    And they are cheap.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-in-...?skuId=6395737

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    I don’t know man it sounds like you are introducing interference into the radio waves. I’m not sure any radio is equipped to deal with that.

Get spotify on your phone and stream it. Then you get the added bonus of listening to the Joe Rogan podcast
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

6. Likes slctech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I swear Dewalt use to make a radio that was great for a garage, and don’t recall any issues with interference. But they are too expensive to just buy on a hunch.

And I’m sure the lighting back then was different, and probably the chargers too.

What’s really annoying is that the Milwaukee radio even gets RF interference from a Milwaukee charger. You would think at the very least they would have engineered that issue out.

Probably just get an echo dedicated for the garage and let big brother listen to extended periods of nothingness followed by hours intermittent use of a chop saw, router, table saw, and dust collector operations

8. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I swear Dewalt use to make a radio that was great for a garage, and don’t recall any issues with interference. But they are too expensive to just buy on a hunch.

And I’m sure the lighting back then was different, and probably the chargers too.

What’s really annoying is that the Milwaukee radio even gets RF interference from a Milwaukee charger. You would think at the very least they would have engineered that issue out.

Probably just get an echo dedicated for the garage and let big brother listen to extended periods of nothingness followed by hours intermittent use of a chop saw, router, table saw, and dust collector operations

I have like 3 Milwaukee radios (yes I’m a Milwaukee hoarder ). I’ve never noticed any interference, but I don’t think I subject them to the same challenges so maybe they’re not as good as I think. I do know that the new M12 is a charger/radio so I would give that one a shot. I haven’t had any problems with it. Maybe buy it at home depot so it’s super easy to return.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have both a dewalt and milwaukee in my garage. The milwaukee has the digital tuner, where as my older Dewalt has the manual tuner. I find the manual knob easier to dial into stations. The digital tuner seems to gain and lose a those radio stations that have a weaker signal. These two things are what I will just take out in the yard to listen to the radio when I am working. That milwaukee has some blue-tooth stuff, that my son has tried to teach me to put music on my phone and I can listen to tunes that way, but not my cup of tea to buy music and put on my phone when there are some really great stations here and I am at the age where a commercial/ad here or there is just part of the game to get something for free.

What I have found is that my old Pioneer deck with an external antenna, works the best. I bought that cassette deck/6-disc CD changer back in the mid 90's and sits on a shelf in my garage and with that antenna I have attached, I do not get any interference from the work I am doing (Circular Saws, Band Saw, Drill Press, power tools, air-compressor's electric motor chiming in, etc.

Now I do not weld, so I do not know if my radio's reception would be hampered or not with that. That is such an intense inductive field that I am finding hard to imagine that most all radio signals in that bandwidth would not be affected in someway or another. I know that I get that little momentary crackle in reception when the clouds are grey, and that tells me we have lighting in the area. And as the crackles get more intense, I know it is getting closer.

The welding shop at work has some copper cages around certain welders to suppress the EMF they create so that there is no interference with the company radio traffic. And maybe their shop radios? Maybe the cages are a quick fix...they look like chicken wire but out of copper.

Post Likes
    I like that faraday cage idea, not sure why I couldn’t think of it. I may try that.

Thats the dewalt one I remember. Analog, big dials, pretty rugged.

Ive got 2 Milwaukee radios, both suffer the same fate of charger interference. I also tried a random radio I had laying around casio maybe. Same issue.

I can live with welder interference cause thats a fairly rare activity compared to woodworking here in my garage, but I have the battery charger station permanently mounted.

Post Likes
    Just put the chargers in a bird cage. If anybody asks about it just tell them it's your pets.

14. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    "Amazon Eco" LOL why are you looking at junk? You need a Pioneer SX-650 or better for a garage system (would prefer SX-750 or better). Check Craigslist. More difficult these days than 10 or 15 years ago but you still might be able to find an entire system for the price of a POS "Eco."

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell View Post
    "Amazon Eco" LOL why are you looking at junk? You need a Pioneer SX-650 or better for a garage system (would prefer SX-750 or better). Check Craigslist. More difficult these days than 10 or 15 years ago but you still might be able to find an entire system for the price of a POS "Eco."
    Echo is cheap and very compact and has its own speaker. Sound quality is good enough for me. Maybe 100. Just looked at that pioneer. 300 for something used and 30 years old or better. No thanks.

By the way-logic behind the echo would be that it would operate on wifi. And therefore be on a totally different wavelength then RF. And likely immune to the interference issues Im having.

I give a rip high end sound quality. Just want way less static.

Im not looking for a system. I just want a damn radio.

Post Likes
    Actually well over 40 years old at this point and ever increasing in value. Amazon Echo will be in the garbage and worthless in less than a year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Echo is cheap and very compact and has its own speaker. Sound quality is good enough for me. Maybe 100. Just looked at that pioneer. 300 for something used and 30 years old or better. No thanks.

By the way-logic behind the echo would be that it would operate on wifi. And therefore be on a totally different wavelength then RF. And likely immune to the interference issues Im having.

I give a rip high end sound quality. Just want way less static.

Im not looking for a system. I just want a damn radio.
    If you want good enough.... cheapo TV with a roku stick that can hook up to ethernet would be what I would do.
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok, so as a test, I brought the Echo dot out to the garage now that I have Wifi out here, and it works flawlessly with no interference from the welder or lighting.

So Im gonna get another one. Maybe 2 of them. One for each floor of the garage.

Pretty good sound quality too. Good enough for me anyways.

Post Likes
    Got the echo dots for the garage.

Work great, one for the upstairs, one for down.

Works even better then I planned, as the upstairs office computer is a Mac mini without a real built in speaker, and the ECHO does double duty and Bluetooth links to the Mac as a speaker, and can be used as radio also.

Can also link the 2 echo’s to operate as a single network of speakers to set both to operate from commands to one of them if wanted.

Not bad for about 30 bucks per speaker.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in