Thread: seer 14 Vs seer 17 on my AC for my home

Post Likes

seer 14 Vs seer 17 on my AC for my home

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to replace my 44 year old AC unit and the coil system but not the furnace, I was given two bids by two different vendors, one offered me a Carrier 14 seer unit with the coil for about $X and the other offer me a Day & Night 17 seer unit with $X. My furnace a single stage.
    Does it make sense to get the 14 seer or the 17 seer? Is it more beneficial to have the 17 seer? or the difference between the two is so minimal that it won't even be noticed as far as energy savings?

I would greatly appreciate any input from the experts.

Thank you

Roger A
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-03-2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: removed prices per site policy

Post Likes
    Doubt you will get 17 SEER with your old existing furnace, you can’t go by the outdoor unit rating only. It’s the indoor selection along with the outdoor unit that gives you your ratings. Thinking at best, you’ll probably get 14 or 14.5 SEER with the Payne, only if the indoor coil is matched to the outdoor unit.

You got the complete model numbers of both brands indoor coil and outdoor unit, should be able to tell you the SEER and EER or if it’s even a matching system.

It’s a shame, as the Payne could’ve been eligible for rebates and the Federal Tax Credits.

Ask them to prove your getting 17 SEER by asking for the AHRI number. Ask the other company to prove your getting 14 SEER.

If anything the Payne may have more standard features than the Carrier.

What’s the labor warranty of the two Contractors, is one better than the other.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-03-2021 at 04:12 PM.

3. Likes BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Carrier has 3 grades of A/C. Bottom feeder is a Payne with a Carrier logo, mid grade looks like bottom but made in America. Best 14 SEER has more bells & whistles, compressor protection, sound devices, etc.

Payne is the same as Bryant except their top 14 SEER units are different.

5. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger A View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am trying to replace my 44 year old AC unit and the coil system but not the furnace, I was given two bids by two different vendors, one offered me a Carrier 14 seer unit with the coil for about $X and the other offer me a Day & Night 17 seer unit with $X. My furnace a single stage.
    Does it make sense to get the 14 seer or the 17 seer? Is it more beneficial to have the 17 seer? or the difference between the two is so minimal that it won't even be noticed as far as energy savings?

I would greatly appreciate any input from the experts.

Thank you

Roger A
    Where is this house? Will you have enough run time to justify higher SEER?

7. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Bazooka Joe;26040029]Doubt you will get 17 SEER with your old existing furnace, you can’t go by the outdoor unit rating only. It’s the indoor selection along with the outdoor unit that gives you your ratings. Thinking at best, you’ll probably get 14 or 14.5 SEER with the Payne, only if the indoor coil is matched to the outdoor unit.

You got the complete model numbers of both brands indoor coil and outdoor unit, should be able to tell you the SEER and EER or if it’s even a matching system.

It’s a shame, as the Payne could’ve been eligible for rebates and the Federal Tax Credits.

Ask them to prove your getting 17 SEER by asking for the AHRI number. Ask the other company to prove your getting 14 SEER.

If anything the Payne may have more standard features than the Carrier.

What’s the labor warranty of the two Contractors, is one better than the other.

Bazooka, I will be replacing both the outdoor unit as well as the coil in my garage, they both will be matching a far as I can tell. My furnace is only 3 years old, this is why I will not be replacing it.The guy with the 17 seer said I will be getting about 35% in energy savings with the new system, which I frankly don't believe, but I don't know much about ACs, which is why I am asking for opinions here. My old outdoor unit is Payne and still works good but it is not energy efficient at all, runs all day to bring the temp down two or three degrees.
    I am in Southern California and summer time is hot for a long period of time, months as a matter of fact. So run time is long. Warranties are the same, 10 years and 1 year labor except for the 17 seer unit, the company offers a life time installation warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Carrier has 3 grades of A/C. Bottom feeder is a Payne with a Carrier logo, mid grade looks like bottom but made in America. Best 14 SEER has more bells & whistles, compressor protection, sound devices, etc.

Payne is the same as Bryant except their top 14 SEER units are different.
    I was told that the Carrier is a mid grade.

Post Likes
    The house is in Southern California. Run time it's hard to tell, with the system I have now, it runs for hours to cool the house down by 2-3 degrees, so yes it will make a difference to me once the new system is in, hopefully it will shorten the run time and saves me on energy bills.

Post Likes
    I will be replacing both the outdoor unit as well as the coil in my garage, they both will be matching a far as I can tell. My furnace is only 3 years old, this is why I will not be replacing it.The guy with the 17 seer said I will be getting about 35% in energy savings with the new system, which I frankly don't believe, but I don't know much about ACs, which is why I am asking for opinions here. My old outdoor unit is Payne and still works good but it is not energy efficient at all, runs all day to bring the temp down two or three degrees.
    I am in Southern California and summer time is hot for a long period of time, months as a matter of fact. So run time is long. Warranties are the same, 10 years and 1 year labor except for the 17 seer unit, the company offers a life time installation warranty.

Then provide prove it’s a matching system, ( ask the bidding Contractors ) just because the indoor coil section and outdoor unit are the same brand and tons and same color does not mean they are matched. You need a AHRI number to prove it. Will a non match system work, yes it will, but your only guessing at SEER and EER and your missing out on possible rebates on the Payne. What does your local utility company or state offer for rebates for installing energy star rated matched systems?

Thinking the Payne Contractor never mentioned rebates to you as they can’t prove your system can reach the magic number of 16 SEER.

What’s the model numbers on the bids? Did they at least list them on the contract? If your furnace is a Payne it may be a match that increases your Payne to upwards of 17 SEER, so again if you want to know your SEER and EER of both systems, need model numbers of all 3 pieces. ( Furnace, indoor coil, and outdoor unit model and brand ) Didn’t either of the Contractors give you the number?. Can tell you what tier level the Carrier is also, good better best.

Even if the Payne is a non match or it is and gets only 14+ SEER, I’d lean on getting that as it may have more standard features from the factory, and I believe the quote price was only a fraction more than the Carrier.

“the 17 seer unit, the company offers a life time installation warranty”

What does that mean, what’s the details?

Tax Credits : https://www.energystar.gov/about/fed...ty_tax_credits

One source for rebates : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iQc0GVu13UMfK_

Just guessing at it your existing A/C could be around 6 to 8 SEER rating, don’t even believe SEER or EER was a term used some 44 years ago lol
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 05-03-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Then provide prove it’s a matching system, ( ask the bidding Contractors ) just because the indoor coil section and outdoor unit are the same brand and tons and same color does not mean they are matched. You need a AHRI number to prove it. Will a non match system work, yes it will, but your only guessing at SEER and EER

so again if you want to know your SEER and EER of both systems, need model numbers of all 3 pieces. ( Furnace, indoor coil, and outdoor unit model and brand ) Didn’t either of the Contractors give you the number?.
    The only way I could possibly see any guaranteed seer/eer rating with a 3 year old furnace is, if the model number of the furnace is the same model number in the AHRI ratings. These contractors should know this, like Joe said, have them provide you with the number, if there is one, well you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Hi everyone,

Does it make sense to get the 14 seer or the 17 seer?

Is it more beneficial to have the 17 seer?

SEER 17 might be upto 20% operating cost savings

or the difference between the two is so minimal that it won't even be noticed as far as energy savings?

Roger A
    17 SEER vs 14 SEER
    HYPOTHETICAL savings might be ~ $ 230 ANNUALLY for a 3 Ton

__ 1,617 Coolnig Degree Days
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Since he's using an old furnace, he's not getting 17 SEER so not much point in this. What's the model #s of the 2 units in question? That would tell if one is more deluxe than the other.

Post Likes
    Bazooka, I got the AHRI Certificate for my AC, I see it is a 15 SEER and not 17 SEER, am I right. Please check the attachement and let me know.
    Thanks a lot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Bazooka, I got the AHRI Certificate for my AC, I see it is a 15 SEER and not 17 SEER, am I right. Please check the attachement and let me know.
    Thanks a lot
    That looks like a nice unit, yes 15 SEER 12.5 EER has high and low pressure switches, good amount of outdoor coil protection. Field install filter drier. Two stage. Communicating, sounds like it has a compressor sound blanket. I believe it was only slightly higher in price than the Carrier 14

Has a 10 year no hassle warranty, which means if compressor and even the outdoor coil ever fails within the 10 years you get a new outdoor unit.

No Hassle Replacement™ Limited Warranty
    The No Hassle Replacement limited warranty assures you of continued comfort. You get a replacement unit if a major component (the compressor, coil or heat exchanger) should fail during the coverage period. Ask your dealer for details.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xpIuljIBlyD_0c

Usually rebates for A/C units start at 16 SEER.

Residing in California, no need to register your system to receive the full manufacturers warranty.

17. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    That looks like a nice unit, yes 15 SEER 12.5 EER has high and low pressure switches, good amount of outdoor coil protection. Field install filter drier. Two stage. Communicating, sounds like it has a compressor sound blanket. I believe it was only slightly higher in price than the Carrier 14

Has a 10 year no hassle warranty, which means if compressor and even the outdoor coil ever fails within the 10 years you get a new outdoor unit.

No Hassle Replacement™ Limited Warranty
    The No Hassle Replacement limited warranty assures you of continued comfort. You get a replacement unit if a major component (the compressor, coil or heat exchanger) should fail during the coverage period. Ask your dealer for details.

Usually rebates for A/C units start at 16 SEER.

Residing in California, no need to register your system to receive the full manufacturers warranty.

Thank you Bazooka for your help, I think this is a good unit to have installed in my house according to your review and to what I have been reading.
    I really appreciate all the help all of you guys.
    Thank you very much.

Roger A

19. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.