Thread: multi meter

Post Likes

multi meter

what is the best multimeter to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This is not the place to ask that question but oh boy is that question loaded.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

3. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arod51790 View Post

What experience do you have?
    What equipment are you using it on?

5. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Some would say Fluke, I own one, but IMO, they're way overpriced. I use my Fieldpiece more that my Fluke, mostly because I don't want to leave that overpriced Fluke in an attic, and forget which attic I left it in.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

7. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I own an original Fluke 87 with a temperature adapter and numerous styles temperature probes and a separate amp clamp. Have used it daily since the 1990s.
    Other than having to solder in new jacks, because I wore them out, and change batteries, it just works.
    Yes, I think they are expensive, but they work and last.
    You will have to decide what you need and if it is within your budget.

Post Likes
    My old Fluke 77 still serves me well.

Post Likes
    The one that works! I have five or six, various manufacturers and models, just depends on what vehicle I show up in. You've got to understand the limitation of the tool you are using, to go along with that you need to know how to check when you suspect it is not working correctly. Like have a second one with you. Right now I have Fieldpiece, Amprobe and Fluke

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My boss has a fluke that is probably twice my age and still works fine and he also has a drawer full of flukes that are less than 5 years old and many of them have battery terminals that just instantly disintegrated at the slightest hint of a battery leaking or like for the hygrometer The tip just busted off but that was his fault.
    I buy Fieldpiece because if those were Fieldpiece worst case scenario I would have to pay half price for the so-called repair service and get new ones but since they were fluke and some of them were not bought from authorized retailers so even though they were bad out of the box fluke said too bad so sad there is no warranty on them and even if there was the warranty does not cover corrosion.
    That said the nicest meters I've ever used were fluke but I buy brands that treat me right when there is a problem.
    Currently I am using a Supco redfish because it integrates with measure quick and my normal field piece that I found behind a furnace I was changing out finally broke and I haven't got around to getting a new one.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    One thing I do like about my Fluke is, you can check Hz with it. Sometimes I work on home generators, and by being able to check Hz it allows me to get the idle settings right, because the adjustment for the RPM and Frequency (Hz - Hertz or Cycle ) are directly related.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

14. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For the $$ fieldpiece meters have seemed to serve me well, manometer also.

16. Likes R600a, Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm not partial to any particular brand.
    I prefer cheaper meters simply because I wind up fixing stuff on union construction sites. And the union guys around here don't buy tools.
    So they think nothing of taking my nice fancy fluke meter.
    I replaced it with a uei 479. It works fantastic and I could probably leave it on one of those jobsites for a month and it would still be there
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes

For what specifically? I mainly use a 902 fluke. I’m kinda a snob when it comes to multimeters and am very particular about things. Fluke checks off the most boxes for me personally but many people are very happy with Fieldpiece as well. Between those two brands you should easily be able to find a meter you like.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

19. Likes R600a, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just flip a coin between fluke Fieldpiece and uei and pick the one with the features you want. Any of the 3 will be just fine for the majority of uses.

21. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Some would say Fluke, I own one, but IMO, they're way overpriced. I use my Fieldpiece more that my Fluke, mostly because I don't want to leave that overpriced Fluke in an attic, and forget which attic I left it in.
    I like Fluke...for me, it's been a get-what-you-pay-for experience. Got a 16 that has to be 25-30 years old and it still works. I have 3 or 4 T5's laying around and they all work. I just keep replacing them with not-so-beat-up models. The model 16 is no longer available and I bought a 17B+ DMM few months ago that's not-so-beat-up in case the 16 quits. The 17 is under $150...

You can buy cheaper meters (and I've bought some of those) that will measure the stuff we generally measure without any problems so a $50 Home Depot will work OK, just can't say for how long...

I would say Fluke is one company that continues to build quality products to work, as opposed to cheap sh!t to sell...

Post Likes
    Flukes are nice, but cost too much. I've had a fieldpiece with the amp clamp since 2005 that is still kicking. I've ran it over a couple of times too.

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've had good luck with the amazonCommercial multimeter.

Post Likes
    If you care where things are made that you buy, then look at the Fluke 87V.
    I know many Fluke meters are made overseas, but not the 87V. It is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.
    I don't know of any other meters that can say that.
    I have used my original Fluke 87 daily since the mid 90's. I use temp, microamps, amps, ohms, Hz, test capacitors, volts AC and DC all in the same day.
    If you don't care where it is made, that is ok, your choice. There is nothing wrong with spending less and still getting a quality meter.
    Just saying you can't go wrong with the 87V, if you can afford it and you DON'T lose it.