+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Job Opportunities and Future, A Question for All

Post Likes

Job Opportunities and Future, A Question for All

Hello all! I've got a question about some job opportunities that have been presented to me.

First, some background. I graduated trade school some time ago (learning the theories of electricity and refrigeration, basic troubleshooting, etc) and have earned my universal and etc. As such, I have been applying to various jobs around my area and have had a surprising amount of responses. I've turned down more than a few and felt I had settled on one.

This first job is for a large manufacturer who has contracts and daily business with many businesses across the United States (I would be staying local though). I would be hired on as a preventative maintenance tech/apprentice. After an undefined amount of time, I would be promoted to a full maintenance tech. Additionally, during my interview, the manager made it clear they were interested not only in the fact that I've completed schooling, but also my previous employment experience (management of a large staff in the public sector). The reason I bring this up is because the service manager is planning on retiring in the next few years, and, although this may sound arrogant, I fully believe that I can become one of their top performing employees and the possibility of me taking over that position are high.

The second job was referred to me by a distant family member. Someone along my lineage started their own business a few years back (20+) and are currently looking to hire another tech. Their business services everything; air conditioning, ice machines, chillers, heaters, etc. Now, the reason I am hesitant to turn down this offer, is due to the fact that my original plan was to start my own business in 5 to 10 years. By taking this job, I would be able to learn more of the inner workings of small business and feel I would have a higher chance of success if I choose to follow along this path.

After reading the above, which job would you choose if you were in my position? Large company with a good possibility of promotion, or family owned business with the ability to learn from example and start my business in due time.

Lastly, I've chosen not to list pay and various other details because I feel this question is best answered in mind of the long term prospect (both jobs are offering reasonable packages) and thinking short term may not be the most beneficial overall. I've also chosen not to mention any names or locale to help everyone remain unbiased and to preserve some anonymity.

Thank you for reading and any thoughts you may provide!

Post Likes
    Congratulation on graduating school. 1 - 2 year tech schools barely teach the basics so your just NOW beginning to get educated. 5 - 10 years depending on how quickly you learn and what opportunities exist. You'll get your diploma in another 25 - 50 years. You never STOP learning and finding out what little you actually know. Personally the PM tech will advance you very little. If you really want to learn take the job as a second tech!

3. Likes theoldscroll, crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Take the job with the small business if you like variety. It sounds like you’d get to work on a lot of interesting things instead of just changing filters on rooftops all day.

Post Likes
    You are being presented what I would call the "engagement phase" with the large company. You are being interviewed and the company is giving you all the best information about the job and that company in the hopes both parties will agree to the "marriage." Once agreed to, you will be in the "honeymoon" phase for 1-6 months where people will be interested in training and being helpful. After that time period is when you will then see the true relationship for which you have signed up.

Anything they say about a possible management position is pretty much meaningless when you don't even work there yet. What if that guy decides not to retire? Will you still be happy? What if his boss changes and decides to hire someone else? Will you still be happy? At a facility you are only going going to learn about the equipment on site, and you are going to work on it day after day.

The second job sounds more like a traditional refrigeration and ac company. It is great you went to school, but you really don't know a lot in the grand scheme of this trade. Second job is way more attractive if you want to advance in the trade.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. Likes theoldscroll, crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I forgot to add

Hire on to a Union Contractor, get into the apprenticeship program, get paid to learn and learn properly.

http://www.ua.org/locals

https://www.iuoe.org/our-locals/find...oe-local-union

Post Likes
    All depends on which large manufacturer you taking about, Carrier, Trane and Daikin have a good reputation but if you are talking about Lennox then run as fast as you can and take the other job offer.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Congrats and welcome aboard. I also would lean toward the family owned business. The desire to hang out your own shingle burns inside alot of techs and many
    of them that do go on their own fail. All are good at repairs etc. but use the business model of " I just need to be $1 cheaper than the other guy". That model hurts not just them, but the entire contractor industry.

In no way should you believe that a large company will be superior to your "business" education over a mom and pop shop.

Good luck

Post Likes
    Not sure what direction you're going in, but I'm certain the Large Manufacture (LM) where the Old Service Manager (OSM) is retiring already has someone lined up. That is just the way it is. Think of it this way. BigMan92 has been with us for 2 years, or "Other Guy" has been here 15 years. Big Spend Customer X loves him, the Finance Director has him and his family over for Memorial Day BBQ and is already trained on all the things we do, and happens to know where OSM's skeletons are buried...

If you're looking to start your own business and your goal is to be independent, take the 2nd job. You will learn to interact with the customers that are paying your bill, where you can help them out, know when you're being played. You generally won't see that at LM. Plus you're investing more into you.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in