+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panel change out and clean up

Post Likes
    Did you catch that ?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Did you catch that ?
    Yep. I checked his posts and they were all meaningless and in rapid succession so I figured he was going to drop a link or something.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Yeppers that's their modus operandi

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Where is your Ground...........

Post Likes
    The EMT was the ground and this was all after the main. Main was 15ft away on the other side of the wall. Meaning the main panel was grounded and we're using the emt as the ground.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    The EMT was the ground and this was all after the main. Main was 15ft away on the other side of the wall. Meaning the main panel was grounded and we're using the emt as the ground.

Since this thread came up... couple of electrical questions...

*Is it still code acceptable to use the EMT/boxes for ground??? I thought I read somewhere that was no longer acceptable...

*Someone told me (locally, may be a GA state code)... that it is not acceptable to have wirenuts to extend wires inside the 'load center' (breaker box)... true or false...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post

Not giving you a hard time but that is dangerous.......
    Cant use EMT as ground. You must run a ground conductor. This conductor much be physically attached to each box and each piece of conduit. If the Main panel is where the ground bar is then that is where the ground wire starts. It has to go thru the disconnect in your photo that says main and be bonded to that disconnect and the conduit entering and exiting it then to the panel you installed and bonded to the ground bar and conduit entering the panel. You have 2 neutral bars in that panel. One was probably the ground bar. If it is grounded, you have to remove that bonding bar that is connecting both neutral bars and move all the neutrals to the bar that is connected to the neutral conductor. (Right bar). You need to check the neutral at the main panel and make sure it is grounded there at the same point as the ground wire.
    Do a google search on grounding and bonding and take a look at the NEC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Since this thread came up... couple of electrical questions...

*Is it still code acceptable to use the EMT/boxes for ground??? I thought I read somewhere that was no longer acceptable...

*Someone told me (locally, may be a GA state code)... that it is not acceptable to have wirenuts to extend wires inside the 'load center' (breaker box)... true or false...
    You can have wire nuts inside of load centers. Local codes may be more stringent thou. You cannot use EMT as a ground. It is just the opposite. It must be grounded itself.

11. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You might want to look up NEC 250.118 (3) & (4)

13. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Those are both neutral bars. Neither was intended to be a ground. The bonding screw is still present but not set. As stated above you are permitted to use EMT as a ground. Some jurisdictions may not care for this and require grounding bushings but this jurisdiction does not and considers the the EMT enough. I hear what you're saying but I can only do what the boss set up. Knowing that its permissible I didn't look to deep into it.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in