Thread: Buy "takeout" AC eq. especially mini-splits?

Post Likes

Buy "takeout" AC eq. especially mini-splits?

Perhaps removed because of unsatisfactory performance or comfort.

By the looks of the threads, sizing is difficult and may often turn out wrong, or other reasons to remove and replace equipment.

It'd be nice to recover some cost- and from my point of view, buy at discount.

Post Likes
    Are you asking about buying used equipment that's been removed, but is otherwise functional? If so, usually not advisable considering not much care is taken in removing equipment let alone installing it. Likely would end up with something DOA. As cheap as mini splits are, best to go with new.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    " As cheap as mini splits are,"

Not from my point of view. $ for half a house is nosebleed level.

Seems to me if people knew on removing a perfectly good but unsatisfactory unit it was worth money on the secondary market, they would take care.
    Maybe only the heads and condenser part would be of value- but that's surely most of it?

It easy could be that never happens (removal) but I am saying from short time reading here, it's a big struggle to achieve comfort.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-30-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Post Likes
    So what are you saying?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ekid View Post
    " As cheap as mini splits are,"

Not from my point of view. $10,000 for half a house is nosebleed level.

Seems to me if people knew on removing a perfectly good but unsatisfactory unit it was worth money on the secondary market, they would take care.
    Maybe only the heads and condenser part would be of value- but that's surely most of it?

It easy could be that never happens (removal) but I am saying from short time reading here, it's a big struggle to achieve comfort.
    Yeah but most of that price is materials and labor. The equipment itself isn't that expensive. So you're talking about taking a small discount off the price for a massive risk and no warranty. Not worth it.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    Not much equipment is usually taken out that’s still usable. Or worth buying.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Used equipment=no warranty and no one to install or service... generally speaking. :-(
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

9. Likes ekid liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Old useable equipment ends up in HVAC guys houses.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted