Thread: Aprilaire 800Z Steam Humidifier?

Post Likes

Aprilaire 800Z Steam Humidifier?

On my old 14-year old Janitrol system, I had an Aprilaire 700 bypass humidifier installed. It was a very reliable humidifier, but I was never able to get above 35% humidity during a typical Virginia winter. On the new 4-Ton Daikin Fit system that's being installed this week, I'm considering an Aprilaire 800Z steam humidifier.

For those of you who are familiar with these systems, how does an Aprilaire 800Z compare with an Aprilaire 700 in terms of performance, water usage, and electricity? Is 120V good enough for a 3,700 sq. ft. house or will I need to supply it with 240V? My Aprilaire 700 was tied into an underground condensate line that drained at the back of our property. Can I do the same with the 800Z? If I do this, I am having it professionally installed.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Will need them to connect it with 240 volt.

You will have a much higher electric bill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Some years ago, Honeywell, who makes a comparable humidifier, stated that evaporative humidifiers have a cooling effect on the air going through them. The cooling effect adds to the heating load on the system. Their position is that the additional electrical consumption for a steam humidifier is offset by the reheating needed for evaporative models.
    A unit installed on a 240 V circuit will not use more electricity than one on a 120 V circuit. It will simply run less because of higher output.

Take into account the higher output and reduced water consumption of steam units when making your decision.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    You need a dedicated circuit run anyway, so may as well use 240 VAC for the max capacity. Electrical usage is going to be based on your humidity preference and how much moisture is required to maintain that preference in your home. Every home is different, so it's hard to say. One thing is for certain, it will increase your electric bill because energy is needed to vaporize water, but reduce your water bill because almost all of the water used will be used for humidification unlike your Aprilaire 700.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    You should also do everything practical to reduce infiltration/exfiltration of your house. Outdoor air is dry and increases the need for humidification.
    A blower door test is the best way to measure and located leaks.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Some years ago, Honeywell, who makes a comparable humidifier, stated that evaporative humidifiers have a cooling effect on the air going through them. The cooling effect adds to the heating load on the system. Their position is that the additional electrical consumption for a steam humidifier is offset by the reheating needed for evaporative models.
    A unit installed on a 240 V circuit will not use more electricity than one on a 120 V circuit. It will simply run less because of higher output.

Take into account the higher output and reduced water consumption of steam units when making your decision.
    The Aprilaire has a higher capacity rate when on a 240 circuit, then a 120 volt circuit. So it will use more e;lectric, since you usually don't run the 240 volt circuit. Unless you need the higher rate.

The additional electric consumption is only off set by the additional heat load, if your using an electric furnace. Other wise, gas heat is a lot cheaper than the electric the humidifier will use.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    I like the AA 800, easy to service. Also a typical bypass humidifier uses up to 14 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of vapor. A steam humidifier is close to 1/1

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    I like the AA 800, easy to service. Also a typical bypass humidifier uses up to 14 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of vapor. A steam humidifier is close to 1/1
    Actually. A bypass humidifier(Aprilaire 600) only uses 6 gallons to put .75 gallons into the air, and clean itself. So 12 gallons to put 1.5 gallons into the air, and clean itself.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all of your advice. We decided to go with the Aprilaire 800. It's being installed today.