Thread: Practicing Brazing on 1/4" appliance unit...w/o Nitrogen

Post Likes

Practicing Brazing on 1/4" appliance unit...w/o Nitrogen

Will I blow myself up practicing my brazing on a small window unit or dehumidifier with our using inert gas after evacuating?

I em-place a piercing valve then vacuum down the R410 into my recovery tank. I then braze a few joints and recharge system with same 410 and look at my joints for leaks.

I don't have nitrogen...should I be worried?

JC

Post Likes
    You won't blow your self up you will just cause oxide flakes that may clog the capillary tubes.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

3. Likes zymometer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just don't try it on a system with flammable refrigerant.

5. Likes heatingman, dieseldude, BNME8EZ liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Just don't try it on a system with flammable refrigerant.

Your not living life on the edge unless you braze a system still filled with 290

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Your not living life on the edge unless you braze a system still filled with 290

I have always wanted to shoot a 1lb tank of propane with a high power rifle next to a fire.

Post Likes
    I have always wanted to shoot a 1lb tank of propane with a high power rifle next to a fire.

What’s holding you back?

When I was 11 and we were building dads house, he had the gas powered nail guns. Pasload I think they were. Pretty new for the time. Had a little propane tank and a battery. Anyhow we always had a fire going to burn all the scraps. I thought it would be a fun game to play to throw the old gas containers in the fire.

I thought it was great waiting for them to explode but I can’t say dad shared the same enthusiasm.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What’s holding you back?

When I was 11 and we were building dads house, he had the gas powered nail guns. Pasload I think they were. Pretty new for the time. Had a little propane tank and a battery. Anyhow we always had a fire going to burn all the scraps. I thought it would be a fun game to play to throw the old gas containers in the fire.

I thought it was great waiting for them to explode but I can’t say dad shared the same enthusiasm.

I don't have anywhere to do that kind of thing.

Post Likes
    I like the idea of going to the shootinng range...

As a follow up...I have an empty nitrogen bottle and regulator. Can I replace the PSI regulator that has a range of 0-400psi with a guage that has a range of 0-30psi?

How do I keep low flow at 1 psi without getting a low flow valve? I read where one could turn on the nitrogen very low and test the flow using their hand...

What are a few rules of thumb for nitrogen?

Joe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alamosixx View Post
    I like the idea of going to the shootinng range...

As a follow up...I have an empty nitrogen bottle and regulator. Can I replace the PSI regulator that has a range of 0-400psi with a guage that has a range of 0-30psi?

How do I keep low flow at 1 psi without getting a low flow valve? I read where one could turn on the nitrogen very low and test the flow using their hand...

What are a few rules of thumb for nitrogen?

Joe
    I use this.
    https://m.ferguson.com/product/goss-...0f/_/R-4861517

Just set the pressure to 25 or 50 and turn the flow up until it hits the first or second line. I think my local United had a better price than that but I got it a year ago.
    Oh yeah and I don't recommend putting that lower pressure gauge on a nitrogen regulator. I think mine is 0 to 800 psi because my regulator can push 600 plus psi.

Post Likes
    They now make a 3n1 reg. Has a braze setting a purge setting and a test setting. Counter guys at j stone talked me into it last year. Like 125 but I will admit it is much nicer than my old one that they give everyone in school.

Best part about it is don’t need a wrench to put it on and off.

This is it. Clearly like everything else the price has skyrocketed over the last 12 months.

https://www.trutechtools.com/victor-...4aAu8uEALw_wcB

Post Likes
    I have a Medical oxygen reg. that will hook to my tank was free? But i changed the fitting to hook to my high pressure reg. so it is tool free now. Works good you might find one around some where?

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They now make a 3n1 reg. Has a braze setting a purge setting and a test setting. Counter guys at j stone talked me into it last year. Like 125 but I will admit it is much nicer than my old one that they give everyone in school.

Best part about it is don’t need a wrench to put it on and off.

This is it. Clearly like everything else the price has skyrocketed over the last 12 months.

https://www.trutechtools.com/victor-...4aAu8uEALw_wcB

I just picked up that bad boy a couple weeks ago. Used it two times to braze/pressure check. I like it.

Post Likes
    I have it on video

I used a little propane bottle , like from a torch , set in next to a lit flare , shot the bottle with my 9mm , it just shoots out a Huge flame for about 3 seconds

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I have it on video

I used a little propane bottle , like from a torch , set in next to a lit flare , shot the bottle with my 9mm , it just shoots out a Huge flame for about 3 seconds
    Would you care to share the video?

Post Likes
    You can always practice brazing by swaging and than brazing and cutting the joint open to see if it flowed properly as well. Just holding pressure doesn't necessarily mean its a good joint. Good flow into the joint is more important than just "capping" off the joint.

Post Likes
    I've always heard of what happens if the valve on a nitro or oxy tank is broken off. How it
    will fly. Well two guys I know tried this by shooting the valve. Deserted place by a lake.
    Full tank of nitro.
    One shot and the tank flew just like the urban myth said. Even they were impressed.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

23. Likes R600a liked this post.