Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ranking minisplit brands

Post Likes

ranking minisplit brands

I saw this recent comment here- not sure what forum, definitely in AC minisplit category:

"Mitsubishi
    Diakin
    Fujitsu

Samsung
    LG

Disposables

In that order"

Not taking issue with that but alarmed to not see Carrier anywhere. At bogleheads someone said Carrier designed products to prevent aftermarket 'off-the-shelf' parts and marked up the 'in house' parts by triple...like John Deere.

I am about to spend TEN thousand $ on AC, and flat-out scared.

Post Likes
    Then
    Dont buy Carrier!

3. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don’t believe carrier makes a mini themselves. I believe it’s made by another company and rebranded.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Carrier is Midea,

A Mitsubishi Diamond dealer can get you a 12 year parts warranty. A little piece of mind.

Post Likes
    Carrier slaps their name on a lot of equipment they don't make to get their hands in everything. Residential wise they make their own forced air equipment, but ductless, hrv, geothermal are all rebadged and they like to change their suppliers of those items every 5 years approximately.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Carrier here is not that great, hard to get on the phone, parts unavailable, etc. I only have experience with Daikin but very satisfied with both the reliability and service.

Post Likes
    I'll give my ranking.
    Fujitsu
    Mitsubishi
    Daikin
    Midea (most brands like lennox and carrier are midea units)
    Then lg etc
    Then disposable units.
    I've actually got a few disposable units I installed 5 years ago that run fine. Zero problem with them. But the customers know once there is a problem we won't be able to fix them lol.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've been installing a lot of Media stuff, same as Carrier, for about 3 years and frankly it's the very best I've ever seen and has major advantages over Mitsubishi. I appreciate the fact that they come standard with gold plated hydrophilic coils, and hyperheat compressors. Mitsubishi offers hyperheat as an upgrade, and they don't even offer gold coils all together. I'm especially impressed with the new Midea inverter air handlers and they have major advantages over Mitsubishi. Again it comes standard with the gold coils, and is wired to accept any 24v thermostat. Meanwhile if you need to convert it to downflow it takes all of 10 minutes to pull the coil, flip the air handler, and slide the coil back in. The Mitsubishi air handler cost TWICE as much, takes over 2 hours to convert to downflow and you have to buy a conversion kit. Worst of all you can only use a Mitsubishi thermostat Mitsubishi stuff is just fine, but frankly I don't understand why every has such a hard on for them......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    I've been installing a lot of Media stuff, same as Carrier, for about 3 years and frankly it's the very best I've ever seen and has major advantages over Mitsubishi. I appreciate the fact that they come standard with gold plated hydrophilic coils, and hyperheat compressors. Mitsubishi offers hyperheat as an upgrade, and they don't even offer gold coils all together. I'm especially impressed with the new Midea inverter air handlers and they have major advantages over Mitsubishi. Again it comes standard with the gold coils, and is wired to accept any 24v thermostat. Meanwhile if you need to convert it to downflow it takes all of 10 minutes to pull the coil, flip the air handler, and slide the coil back in. The Mitsubishi air handler cost TWICE as much, takes over 2 hours to convert to downflow and you have to buy a conversion kit. Worst of all you can only use a Mitsubishi thermostat Mitsubishi stuff is just fine, but frankly I don't understand why every has such a hard on for them......
    What type of warranty does midea have?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post

Not sure if I am missing something but a quick search shows 5 yrs on compressor. Another search showed 7 yrs compressor 5 yrs parts but either way seems less than the others?

Post Likes

If you get it through carrier is 5 years. If registered then 10 years

Post Likes

It's 7 years. I sell extended warranties through my company, but I've never had a client need to use it.

Since I'm on a roll I'll also point out that's media's tech is very clever. 4 ton mulitiport units often have up to 6 ports and it's not uncommon for the installer to accidentally land the communicating wire on the wrong port during the install. It would normally take several hours to correct the mistake, UNLESS you use a media unit. The computer has a self diagnosis button and when pressed the equipment will test each port and reprogram itself automatically if there's a wiring mistake.

I just finished roughing in a 2 ton Media heat pump that runs with a multposition duct slim air handler. I was able to achieve a whooping 12 HSPF rating from the install which is the highest I've ever seen for a 2 ton heat pump. They also have a 3/4 ton wall unit that can achieve a 40 SEER and a 14.5 HSPF rating.
    Last edited by James Colver; 04-29-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Post Likes
    My question would be why wont they offer a better warranty? The higher the seer the more cost, my customers love upfront savings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    My question would be why wont they offer a better warranty? The higher the seer the more cost, my customers love upfront savings.

There are 3 times that I can recall where I had to warranty something on a ductless unit.

1) five years ago I had a defective York/Gree unit that has a bad reversing valve right out of the box. I brought it back and they exchanged it no questions asked

2) Last year I installed a Media cieling cassette and the motorized louvers wouldn't work. Media sent me another cover, again no questions asked

3) My last story is about Mitsubishi, and frankly it was painful . 18 months ago I installed a 12K Mitsubishi heat pump and it had a defective compressor right out of the box. Keep in mind this unit was installed 15 feet up in the air on the side of a building. Now I paid TWICE as much for this Mitsubishi unit and they brag about how great their warranty is. I naturally expected I could just take it down and swap it out at the supply house, but that's NOT what happened. Mitsubishi said they would give me a replacement compressor, and I would have to provide all the labor, and refrigerant to install it. I reminded them this unit was DOA, and it was installed up in the air where it would be a lot more work to get it in. But they would not let me return the defective heat pump. This was a lousy thing to do, and I've never forgotten how pissed I was welding the new compressor in when it was raining and I was up on a lift.

So I guess the lesson here is what is Mistsubishi's warranty really worth?????? Sure they'll give you a 12 year warranty if it's installed by one of their diamond dealers, but in actuality they do NOT stand by their product nearly as well as other manufacturers and the warranty itself doesn't really cover the costs to repair the problems that might come up. So in that case why is everyone paying TWICE as much for their stuff when the product isn't really that good, and they don't take care of their dealer when a big problem arises??????

17. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes

" impressed with the new Midea inverter air handlers and"

Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    Is that what they call the ducted minisplit?

(ducted ductless- confusing)

Post Likes
    Guess what I'm thinking now is buy (new) Midea, making sure not to get Carrier.

But folks mentioning "disposables"- that the kind parts not available?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ekid View Post

Carrier is midea......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    I'll give my ranking.
    Fujitsu
    Mitsubishi
    Daikin
    Midea (most brands like lennox and carrier are midea units)
    Then lg etc
    Then disposable units.
    I've actually got a few disposable units I installed 5 years ago that run fine. Zero problem with them. But the customers know once there is a problem we won't be able to fix them lol.
    Great minds think alike. Or is it crazy techs think alike?
    I rank them the same in my mind.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Is that what they call the ducted minisplit?

(ducted ductless- confusing)
    Yes Media offers ducted systems that work with a traditional air handler. They also use ductless wall units, cieling cassetts and, floor consoles. They all come standards with the gold coils I'm so fond of.

Post Likes

There are several suppliers of Media on the east coast and they can get replacement parts just as easily as any Mitsubishi dealer. You can also go through carriers network for parts too. As far as tech support goes the distributors on the east coast have at least 4 tech support people who've been very helpful for me on the occasion when I had a question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast