Thread: Duel K type temp meter, Low Cost

Post Likes

Duel K type temp meter, Low Cost

I'd like to hear your suggestions on a low cost duel temp meter.

Do you like clamps, Velcro or just tape on the thermister?

JC

Post Likes
    None of the above. K type thermometers are trash.

Spend the money and get a Cooper Sh66a. I believe they come with a strap on pipe sensor, and a sharp probe that's good for jabbing thru the canvas above a furnace. They work pretty good.

3. Likes R600a, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Listen to @ammoniadog over me but I like the Fieldpiece dual temperature type k thermometer although if I was buying something new I would by the one he mentioned. I don't know the price of either one though and it sounds like cost is going to be your determining factor so if you can't afford the Cooper then I would recommend the field piece. Also I hear Fluke has a good one and I have always found Fluke tools to be excellent quality but I don't like their lack of warranty support so I don't buy them.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I also have the fieldpiece dual one too. I thing it is a ST4 or something. I actually really like the meter itself and it is fairly inexpensive. the probes that come with it are garbage i will admit but they will work for a month or two until you get something else. I also feel like if you are the only one that uses your probes they might stand a better life. My apprentices do not look after things the way i would like them too. That being said the meter is solid and I like it because I can calibrate it. Which many others you can not. I have many different types of probes for different applications. So buy the probes that best suit your needs and budget. If your using them everyday buy brand name good ones and if your not you dont have to spend a fortune. I think most of mine are UEI ones but i am not partial to a brand when it comes to little things like that. I just check them against another one to make sure they are calibrated. Nothing last forever in this day and age so if you are in need of other tools buy the fieldpiece and some better probes and save your money for other tools that you need. You can always buy the cooper down the road when that one quits and you have the money too. But I myself havent found the need for the things I do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    I have the ST4 from fieldpiece. It is good for the money as long as you don't need high end precision and accuracy. I don't like the beads and velcro strap that it came with. Too much fussing about to get good contact. I have a few clamps for it that I prefer and aren't terrible to replace.
    Probably comes down to your typical applications as far as the meter or sensor types. I can get the clamps on 90% of what I do, so I go that way. I would have gotten the Cooper red box, but I was buying to many different things at the time and wanted to stretch my dollar a little. The performance difference wasn't going to ruin my work, plus the ST4 can be field calibrated as stated prior.

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    One thing I like about Fieldpiece is that if I break it I can pay a set price (usually around half of the new price) for the repair service and usually they just send me a new one.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    In another life, I worked a lot of years developing plastics in R&D for US largest plastics manufacturer. We used an awful lot of K type tcs with no troubles. Kept calibrated, they are durable and accurate. Personally, I use an Amprobe TM55 and K tcs when I need good accuracy.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    In another life, I worked a lot of years developing plastics in R&D for US largest plastics manufacturer. We used an awful lot of K type tc’s with no troubles. Kept calibrated, they are durable and accurate. Personally, I use an Amprobe TM55 and K tc’s when I need good accuracy.
    My understanding about how K types work is that the temperature of the meter has an effect on the reading. They work fine if your meter is in a place that's around normal room temperature, but if you're trying to use it to set superheat inside of a zero degree freezer, or outside where it's 110 degrees, your calibration can be way off.

I believe I've seen descriptions on some meters mention something about having "temperature compensation". Maybe Fieldpiece? This kind might be better, but I still trust my Cooper themister type a lot more.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Thats a good point. Im pretty sure mine is compensated, as Ive used it on walking along with thermistors and got the same readings. We used compensates Omegas and Fluke at work and ambient ranged from -10 to 100F at the extremes.
    I do like that thermistors dont need calibration and shift takes years of use.
    I dunno, they both work well, I wouldnt be upset with either.

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the suggestions. Trust me...I like good tools. I going to get by for now with a cheap dual temperature set up that uses the k type thermisters. I didn't know about calibration until I put the probes into a class of ice water. I may have done it incorrectly as I watched a youtube video where crushed ice and just enough water to cover the ice was used. My two probes are off by 2 degrees on average. I'm going to check with a cup of slush.