Thread: Contractor confusion - won't quote/sell me Run Tru

Post Likes

Contractor confusion - won't quote/sell me Run Tru

Greetings,

Looking to replace AC only with a 2 ton RunTru (Or Trane XR14) but Trane contractor won't quote it. 1185 sq ft house that will be sold in 2 years or become a rental property and don't want to over invest in the AC unit. Furnace is OK and not able to pay to replace entire hvac at this time.

He quoted me this:

Trane XR14 -

2 days later I thought I'd consider Run Tru when another contractor told me it was basically the same as XR14 - minus cosmetics and only 1 yr parts warranty. I have not researched Run Tru yet so can't validate that. So I texted first guy and asked for the Run Tru price. His response concerns me;

"I want to see you get the Trane XR14 - so tell me what price will get the deal done". This is odd to me - makes me think he gets some sort of dealer incentive for selling the XR14 instead of the Tru Run?

Second contractor prices were xxxxx than first guy so had to exclude him..

Would love your thoughts?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Dad; 04-28-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Post Likes
    Pricing is not allowed
    2-Tons for 1100 sq ft

Are you in Mexico?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Pricing is not allowed
    2-Tons for 1100 sq ft

Are you in Mexico?
    Atlanta. But thanks.

Post Likes
    How come you ruled the higher priced guy out? Price only or other reasons? Just curious

Post Likes
    There not the same.

Post Likes
    Did he do an HVAC Load calculation to determine unit size?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Cloud View Post
    Greetings,

Looking to replace AC only with a 2 ton RunTru (Or Trane XR14) but Trane contractor won't quote it. 1185 sq ft house that will be sold in 2 years or become a rental property and don't want to over invest in the AC unit. Furnace is OK and not able to pay to replace entire hvac at this time.

He quoted me this:

Trane XR14 -

2 days later I thought I'd consider Run Tru when another contractor told me it was basically the same as XR14 - minus cosmetics and only 1 yr parts warranty. So I texted first guy and asked for the Run Tru price. His response concerns me;

"I want to see you get the Trane XR14 - so tell me what price will get the deal done". This is odd to me - makes me think he gets some sort of dealer incentive for selling the XR14 instead of the Tru Run?

Would love your thoughts?

Thank you!
    “Would love your thoughts?”

Kick him to the curb,.. ( the one who said 1 year warranty ) the RunTru says once registered you get a 10/10 compressor and parts warranty. If you never register the equipment you get a 5/5 manufacturers warranty.

Get other bids, shoot for AHRI matched systems..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OZzLzINvn_AsWB

Dated 2021

Post Likes
    Well, his price for significantly higher - when comparing the same unit. And, my neighbor (whose home is identical to mine) purchased the same unit, XR14 plus the matching furnace together for only $600 more just 8 months ago. Basically, I thought that price was super high.

I am having 2 more Trane contractors give me estimates in a few days.

One thing that is also important is trust. Each contractor has a differing opinion on "extras". One says I need to relocate my thermostat, while another doesn't. Another says I need a thicker 3" filter, another disagrees. Finally, the lowest guy refuses to quote me a price on Run Tru because "it wouldn't be a good fit". That felt like I got the "lady" treatment. As in "Lady, just take my advice because, well, you're a lady who doesn't know better".

Post Likes
    There's a world of difference between Run Tru outdoor units and Trane. Same factory but the XR14 is much quieter, swept wing fan blade, slow speed blower motor, high & low pressure switches to protect the compressor. 10 year to the original owner parts warranty if registered. Joe says Run Tru is the same.

Our American Standard supplier is having trouble getting Ameristar (same as Run Tru) from Trane. The Tyler factory was damaged in the Texas winter storm which could be part of it. No trouble getting AS though.

10. Likes Pink Cloud, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well, his price for significantly higher - when comparing the same unit. And, my neighbor (whose home is identical to mine) purchased the same unit, XR14 plus the matching furnace together for only $600 more just 8 months ago. Basically, I thought that price was super high.

I am having 2 more Trane contractors give me estimates in a few days.
    :
    You stuck on Trane? Certainly the Trane should be higher, your paying for the name for starters, and as mentioned your getting more standard factory features than the bare bone RunTru.

RunTru Limited Warranty:
    5-year limited warranty for functional parts
    10-year warranty for functional parts with registration
    20-year warranty for heat exchanger

Post Likes
    Thank you, BaldLoonie. That is very helpful. So much research left to do.

Post Likes
    Thank you - the 1 year warranty was labor, he said parts was the same as Trane at 10 years.

I did kick a previous Rheem contractor to the curb when he spent all of 5 minutes in the attic doing who knows what, only gave me a verbal estimate for a 16seer Rheem 2.5 ton. All without asking me anything about air flow, temp conditions indoors etc and said my utility monthly bills would decrease by 50%. Even I know that's baloney. But when I asked why he recommended a large tonnage, his only reason was "you have good ducts".

Post Likes
    Was basing the RunTru manufacturers warranty on your initial post.

2 days later I thought I'd consider Run Tru when another contractor told me it was basically the same as XR14 - minus cosmetics and only 1 yr “parts” warranty

One year labor is pretty common, some even give more..

Post Likes
    Not at all, open to anything pretty much that's not Goodman, or the higher end brands. I'm middle of the road. I take very good care of my system because when I was 22, first time home owner, I didn't! No one tells you you have to change your filter monthly in hot Miami. So one year, and $600 later, I found out.

I had a Ruud for 15 years and it did me well. I just selected Trane because I felt it was middle of the road, high quality and need to compare apples to apples.

Post Likes
    I don't think so. I didn't go up into the attic and didn't see any of the estimators carry any tools. So, Im guessing no. Perhaps they took it for granted that the house is small, it currently has a 2 ton, and voila! 2 ton it is!

Post Likes

Contractor confusion - won't quote/sell me Run Tru

Not at all, open to anything pretty much that's not Goodman, or the higher end brands. I'm middle of the road. I take very good care of my system because when I was 22, first time home owner, I didn't! No one tells you you have to change your filter monthly in hot Miami. So one year, and $600 later, I found out.

I had a Ruud for 15 years and it did me well. I just selected Trane because I felt it was middle of the road, high quality and need to compare apples to apples.
    I would consider Goodman to be a tier above run tru. There is also a brand called oxbox they are probably the same price point as run tru. The cheap Goodman goes under the name “gmc”

Goodman was one of the first to roll out the 10 year warranty. Others jumped on board only cause they had too.

Hell I just bought a high end icp for my house and looked inside and all I saw was China China China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It isn't really anything underhanded that your Trane guy wants you to get the Trane you basically walked into a Chevy dealership and told the sales guy you wanted to buy a Jetta. For dealers that sell a particular brand you are only supposed to sell that brand and there are quotas you need to hit to keep selling that brand and maintaining your pricing. If lets say Rheem finds out that you've been slapping in Carriers they are well within their rights to yank your Rheem dealer privileges away. If money is an issue just get what you can afford from a reputable company. Properly installed even a no name builder box unit will get the job done. It might not have all the bells and whistles and maybe it might run a bit louder but your house will be nice and cool. Don't worry about what the "reviews" say most people will only buy a couple of furnaces or air conditioners in their lifetime as far as I'm concerned if they aren't working in the industry they aren't qualified to even be making a review.

Post Likes
    Well, his price for significantly higher - when comparing the same unit. And, my neighbor (whose home is identical to mine)
    No 2 homes are Identical!